+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I saw a lady shucking corn the other day in the grocery store and wondered if she did it because she didn't feel like doing it once she got home, or maybe it's sold by weight and she was trying to get more bang for the buck? I don't buy fresh corn because I've never been good at the whole cleaning and shucking. Is it ok to do this in the store? There was a trash can placed nearby so maybe grocers expect this?
    Lots of people around here do it. I peel at least a strip off to make sure that it's a good ear, and once or twice I've just shucked the whole things because I was already halfway done so why not. Of course if I ever get a not-so-great ear I buy it anyway, I just get an extra ear to make up the difference! I don't feel right putting an imperfect, shucked ear of corn back in the bin.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've never seen anyone shucking an ear of corn at the grocery store, but I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it and would be happy to share it with you if you'd ask. I just grab and ear and keep moving. I must admit that I haven't been disappointed yet. Never really thought about it, actually. I never understimate what I can learn from people who shop/cook more than I do; if their tips make sense, I store them away for future use; if not, I discard them in my "memory circular file".

I've got this thing about cartons of eggs. I've never been surprised by a missing egg from a carton, since I open them before I put them in my cart. If there is a cracked/damaged egg, I have been known to open another carton and start moving the bad eggs to another carton, to put them all together as I assemble my own undamaged carton. Yes....I build my own carton! Beats rummaging through 10 cartons for a good bunch. I make sure the expiration dates are all similar, too! I was always shocked at how many people look at a carton, don't like what they see, look through another carton, and on and on and one. They are there FOREVER!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I do the same thing with eggs, prhoshay. Besides just looking at the eggs to make sure they're not cracked, I also try moving each egg with my finger. If an egg doesn't move, it usually means it's cracked on the bottom and is stuck to the carton. One time I was with my mom and did my egg check after she did a quick glance to make sure they were ok. I found a dead fly under one of the eggs. Needless to say, we put that carton back. I've had other times that the eggs weren't broken but they looked dirty or the carton looked dirty so I didn't get that carton.

Like you said, it's hard to find one good carton so if I find one that has one or two broken eggs, I'll remove the bad eggs (if I can) and replace them with eggs from a different carton. When I get home, I move the eggs into old cartons I keep on hand (after they've been washed) and clean the carton they came in. I like to have a few empty cartons to keep hardboiled eggs separate from the uncooked eggs in the refrigerator or to take hardboiled eggs to parties to make deviled eggs with at the host's house.

Anymore, I've started getting mostly Eggland's Best eggs. Their cartons are always in good shape and I hardly ever find broken eggs. It's worth paying a little more for better quality.

In the grocery where I shop, they have a garbage can next to the fresh corn and a sign that reads " Go ahead and shuck all you want".
    Our corn from the garden was in last week and I've had about all the shucking practice I want for awhile.

pikacu I had wondered if the Eggland's Best eggs where worth the extra cost.

I grow my own corn, eggs, chickens, beef, pork, and fruits and veggies. I know this isn't possible for most people, but it saves us a tremendous amount of money, plus I know the quality of our food. (hormones, pesticides, etc.)
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A part of me thinks that I should carry a black marker to make a "X" on the damaged carton, but I don't carry a purse in the grocery store!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    ............. I had wondered if the Eggland's Best eggs where worth the extra cost.
    ING - I usually buy Eggland's. They print a lot of Eggland's coupons in our papers and we get double amount (so the 55cent coupon gives me $1.10 off). The cartons seem a bit more sturdy than the paper ones the store brands come in. If the price difference is too great, I do buy the store brand. I think they taste really good.

At the farmers' markets I go to, there's always a trash bin for shucking your own corn before going home (lots of apartment dwellers appreciate this; I usually just clean out the silk but leave a couple layers of husk intact) -- though several of the farm stands will shuck for the asking.
    And there are ALWAYS clearly marked samples at the farmers' markets. No brainer as to where I get my produce -- and, luckily, farmers' markets are year 'round (here).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I hardly ever find broken eggs with Eggland's Best. Their packaging is superior, and I think their eggs are, too. If you read up on it, it has to do with what they feed their chickens.
    I don't mind shucking corn at home because I keep a compost pile.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Have you seen how much they are charging for cherries? It's obscene. I bought a bag without noting the price and when the cashier rung it in it was 27.00! I don't begrudge people trying a cherry or grape to test them (note the use of the singular). FYI, I didn't check the 27.00 cherries and they turned out to be crappy.
    That's an obscene price. I just bought Rainier cherries for 99 cents a pound. I don't normally taste test at the store. I just eyeball 'em.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread