+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Have you seen how much they are charging for cherries? It's obscene. I bought a bag without noting the price and when the cashier rung it in it was 27.00! I don't begrudge people trying a cherry or grape to test them (note the use of the singular). FYI, I didn't check the 27.00 cherries and they turned out to be crappy.
    I had that happen to me once but luckily I caught the price before I checked out and had her remove them. Today I saw an ad in the Kroger flyer for $3.99 a pound. That is still high but I've seen it higher. I love cherries but haven't bought them for a long time because they are just too expensive.

I saw a lady shucking corn the other day in the grocery store and wondered if she did it because she didn't feel like doing it once she got home, or maybe it's sold by weight and she was trying to get more bang for the buck? I don't buy fresh corn because I've never been good at the whole cleaning and shucking. Is it ok to do this in the store? There was a trash can placed nearby so maybe grocers expect this?
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I had that happen to me once but luckily I caught the price before I checked out and had her remove them. Today I saw an ad in the Kroger flyer for $3.99 a pound. That is still high but I've seen it higher. I love cherries but haven't bought them for a long time because they are just too expensive.

I saw a lady shucking corn the other day in the grocery store and wondered if she did it because she didn't feel like doing it once she got home, or maybe it's sold by weight and she was trying to get more bang for the buck? I don't buy fresh corn because I've never been good at the whole cleaning and shucking. Is it ok to do this in the store? There was a trash can placed nearby so maybe grocers expect this?
    I guess I should feel fortunate to get cherries on sale for $2.99 per pound, then. I can't imagine paying 27 bucks for cherries. Around here ears of corn are sold by the # of ears and not by the pound so if you remove the husks it wouldn't matter. The supermarkets keep a large trash can nearby and it's common practice to remove the husks before bringing them home, if you'd like. I always do it b/c I hate getting the fine silk hairs in my kitchen sink.

I always cook my corn in the husk, so I wouldn't remove it at the store, which seems kind of weird to me anyway Around here, corn is always sold by quantity, not by weight, so shucking it wouldn't affect the price.

I don't see a problem with tasting a cherry or a grape. Both of those things are expensive, at least in CA and one weighs a tiny fraction of an ounce. I'd be surprised if stuff like that wasn't built into the cost. If you go the farmer's markets around here, it's the norm - there are always cherry pits on the ground. I've brought home enough sour grapes and bland or muddy tasting cherries that I won't buy them if I can't taste one first. I don't do it with anything else and it annoys the hell out of me when I see fingernail marks in apples or bananas that have been "opened."

I'm not worried about pesticides or other contaminants from one little grape or cherry. Honestly, once you've seen the FDA regulations regarding particulate matter (including insects) in food, you have just get over it. I remember getting that list in a microbiology class and immediately vowing to never eat canned goods again. Then, reality kicked in and I just dealt with it. I think we'd all be horrified at what kinds of things have "snuck" into our food.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I got lucky - I paid $2.98/lb for cherries last night. Grapes were $1.97/lb and Strawberries - $1.47 for a pint/quart - not sure which!

I haven't even bought cherries this season - they're too expensive. I really just need to head to the farmer's market. They're always better there.

Strawberries have been pretty cheap - I just got 2 lbs for around $3. Grapes have been pricey too. It's all about the strawberries this summer!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I must have hit the jackpot.
    I found cherries for $.88 per pound and they're pretty good.
    cablejockey likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Since mostly all I'm eating now is fruits and veggies, I don't let the prices stop me (well, $28 for cherries would stop me). I also eat beans and nuts, but I'm pretty well stocked up on those for now. I'm only buying groceries for myself, though. It might be different if I were feeding a whole family. So I'm enjoying the full range of produce available. I can't think of anything in the produce section that I don't get.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    One of the things that I learned was that the company won't remove any fruits that you may be allergic to, so you can't put together a preferred assortment like you can with flowers.
    That really shocks me. For what you're paying for those bad boys, I would HOPE they would let you have some say in the fruits picked for the arrangements! So if you have a friend who's allergic to one fruit in the arrangement, you can't have them omit that fruit and double up on another one instead? That's dumb. I'd like to see them get sued for someone having an allergic reaction to eating a fruit they can eat that was contaminated by being in the same arrangement as a fruit they can't eat. That might change their practices.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I asked about substitutions because of fruit allergies that I have. I think the person I was talking to said that their arrangements are under copyright, so they have to make their arrangements to exact specifications. They do warn you about the possibility of peanut products that you may encounter, in case you have a nut allergy. They vow to work with you to get you what you want/need.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Same here as the other PPs. It is sold by item, not weight. Nearly all stores here have the garbage cans and I always shuck at the store. I hate cleaning up the mess at home and I'm going to open them up anyway to make sure they aren't overripe, underripe, rotting at the end, etc.

It seems like my Walmart stories are piling up lately. I was there over the weekend and walked by a woman who was shopping with two young children and was way overdressed for shopping. Sh had on a long flowy skirt and a top with a deeply plunging neckline. As I walked passed her I realized a significant amount of her nipple was showing!!!! I was SHOCKED! The look on my face must have been priceless because my daughter asked me what was wrong!
    By the time I recovered from my shock I decided that I was going to have to figure out how to tactfully say something the next time I walked past her, but I didn't see her again. I sure hope she realized that she was having a wardrobe malfunction!!

+ Reply to Thread