+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6456Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I would never get bariatric surgery. That changes how you eat forever. Some people may say dieting changes how you eat forever, too, but at least with that, you can once in a blue moon overeat. If you do that after bariatric surgery, you can get really sick.

The way I see it, if I had the willpower to stay on the diet I'll need to maintain after bariatric surgery, I wouldn't NEED the surgery! I could use that same willpower to lose the weight by dieting alone. However, I know that I don't have that willpower so I would be setting myself up for failure after the surgery.

My sister-in-law had it and she has done great with it. She knows her limitations and stops when she gets there. You have to change your whole mindset when you do that type of surgery and it isn't for everyone. I am glad they do psychological counseling before you can have it done.

It's the pits to like good food and good junk food too.
    Ellen and Lil Bit like this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I had it over ten years ago and have done great with it, too -- no regrets whatsoever. However, it's NOT for everyone. Luckily, it was the right thing for me, and it's been a lifesaver. I don't miss eating too much for my body at all. Although losing the weight initially was pretty easy, KEEPING it off for a decade plus involves consciously making good decisions and following them. And I especially LOVE not being diabetic anymore.
    Lil Bit and Columbia, MD like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Congratulations, Ellen - that's a true success story!

I'm currently following the plan outlined by Dr. Joel Fuhrman in the book, Eat to Live. (PBS fundraising show - 3 Steps to Incredible Health). It involves eating a lot of raw and cooked veggies and fruit. So the stomach is full on very few calories. Massive weight loss and reversing diabetes and heart problems are some of the claims of his program. I've been very happy with it so far. You have to be willing to buy into the science and reason behind the lifestyle and commit to a pretty radical diet change - processed foods and sugar are pretty much off limits so that includes bread, pasta, crackers, etc. But to me it's worth it because of the pay-offs and also because I really like fruits and veggies. Anyway - I just mentioned it again, because it might be an alternative to bariatric surgery if someone is serious about weight loss and the attendant health benefits. I've lost 10 lbs. so far.
    Count your blessings!

As some of you know, it's not been that long since I had my surgery, but I am very, very happy with it so far. I do try to avoid processed foods most days, but within reason eat what I want, just can't hold much. It is physically impossible for me to eat a huge amount of food of any kind.Since I had the sleeve, which only reduces the size of your stomach with no re-plumbing, at this point I can eat any normal foods, with no side effects. Thing about it, even when I'm really ready to eat, I take time to make my choices because I know I can't hold much. Of course right now, beyond getting my protein in, it's easy. Tomato season=BLT, or just T, I only use one slice of (100%ww!) bread so I can put lots of tomato. MMMMmmmm!

Phroshay, my blood sugar was close to 'borderline' for ages before my surgery, but I managed to keep it barely ok by eliminating white bread and so forth most of the time and exercising. Now it's 'normal'. As there are many in my family who develop Type II diabetes, it's good to know I've probably eliminated a good percentage of the chance of me getting it; the fear was a major part of my decision to have the surgery.

Pikachu, it does help to have 100% whole wheat bread, etc when you eat bread, and eliminating most refined foods goes a long way. Do make sure labels say 100% whole grain, or else the item still mostly made from regular white flour! Or look to make sure 'whole wheat flour' is the first ingredient listed. Look up "low glycemic index foods", those are the safest carbs.
    Last edited by queenb; 07-24-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I had it over ten years ago and have done great with it, too -- no regrets whatsoever. However, it's NOT for everyone. Luckily, it was the right thing for me, and it's been a lifesaver. I don't miss eating too much for my body at all. Although losing the weight initially was pretty easy, KEEPING it off for a decade plus involves consciously making good decisions and following them. And I especially LOVE not being diabetic anymore.
    Best thing I ever did. It gets the weight off and that is a huge incentive to be able to work at eating better and keeping it off. I may not be able to over eat at Thanksgivng anymore, but I will gladly trade that to be able to tie my own shoes, wear cute clothes, feel better, etc. If you do over eat, you throw up. Do that a couple times you learn. It doesn't make you horribly sick. It just makes your stomach get rid of the excess food. Not a big deal, except I don't particularly like to throw up. And I can still eat stuff I love that isn't healthy on occasion. So it's not like I can NEVER have chocolate again. But it is not right for everyone. But I once weighed over 400 pounds. I tried every plan, program and diet. I was told I would be dead in 10 years. I lost 200 pounds. No I'm not skinny and probably never will be. But I am much healthier, more active and can look forward to more years ahead. Kudos to all that have had it. It's a major decision. It does require a change of thinking about food. But I know it's helped a lot of people several of whom belong to FORT.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Congratulations Mrd and Ellen and anyone else who has had the surgery. I think after considering all my options that I won't have bariatric surgery because I only have 40 pounds to lose and have done it before so I know I can do it again. Since getting injections in the back of my head for these wicked headaches I have had or whatever they are, I can finally walk more without pain. I think for me once the weight is gone again I will just have a tummy tuck to get rid of the excess skin. I eat well for being diabetic but my problem is the extras like the mustard, relish, ketchup ect. that you should take into account according to my dietition (Spelling). I found the first year of being diabetic I was so scared of being put on the needle that I really really watched how I ate and made sure I did alot of walking but after 9 years I started eating more poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by shyra View Post
    . . . I think after considering all my options that I won't have bariatric surgery because I only have 40 pounds to lose . .
    If it's just a matter of 40 pounds, surgery would be overkill. And I doubt that any ethical doctor would put a patient through that risk for a BMI that doesn't fall into the "morbidly obese" category.
    Best of luck in your efforts to get healthier!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by shyra View Post
    Congratulations Mrd and Ellen and anyone else who has had the surgery. I think after considering all my options that I won't have bariatric surgery because I only have 40 pounds to lose and have done it before so I know I can do it again. Since getting injections in the back of my head for these wicked headaches I have had or whatever they are, I can finally walk more without pain. I think for me once the weight is gone again I will just have a tummy tuck to get rid of the excess skin. I eat well for being diabetic but my problem is the extras like the mustard, relish, ketchup ect. that you should take into account according to my dietition (Spelling). I found the first year of being diabetic I was so scared of being put on the needle that I really really watched how I ate and made sure I did alot of walking but after 9 years I started eating more poorly.
    The South Beach Diet has good recipes for ketchup,etc. In fact it's a very good plan for diabetics. The dr that developed it has had much success with patients being able to control their diabetes with diet. Or significantly cutting down insulin dosages. The recipes are good. I still use quite a few of them.

MRD

Ladies, have any of you had the hot "chillies"? Feel like I'm on fire from the inside, but skin is chilly and clammy. I am finding out hot flashes come in different forms. But this is one of those weird ones.

+ Reply to Thread