+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7139Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I was just going by information I found at this website about diabetics and fruit. I'm hardly an expert.
    What Fruits Can A Diabetic Eat?

I have prediabetes myself. I was monitoring my blood sugar for a while but don't do so now. I hope it doesn't develop into full-blown diabetes. I had a cousin who had type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the Edible Arrangements that you can order and have sent to people? Those fruit things. I was thinking about sending one to my friend's husband who just had heart surgery (6 blockages and a leaky valve!!!). This man had chest pain, and vomiting, and was moving unusually slowly for abut 2-3 months before he would see a doctor!!! I think the fruit arrangement would beat flowers, anyday!

Looking for recommendations....or not!
    My mom is one of those people that is hard to buy for so we get her one every year for mother's day. The are delicious. There are lots to choose from, as well. I think some of them even have veggies, maybe it depends on the place you get them. I love them, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I was just going by information I found at this website about diabetics and fruit. I'm hardly an expert.
    What Fruits Can A Diabetic Eat?

I have prediabetes myself. I was monitoring my blood sugar for a while but don't do so now. I hope it doesn't develop into full-blown diabetes. I had a cousin who had type 1 insulin-dependent diabetes.
    Thanks so much for the link, pikachu. Helps me buy the right kind of fruits for my husband.

A lot of success with type II diabetes is the willingnessof the patient to control his/her intake of carbs. Tight control, as it is called, can go far in controlling diabetes and preventing the complications, which are almost worse than the disease itself. Type II diabetics who have poor control end up on insulin sooner or later. My husband was on pills for the first year to get him where he belonged on the BG scale, and during that time he lost 70 pounds. For the next 13 years he was controlled by diet alone. Now he is on Metformin, since diabetes is, after all,a progressive disease. His numbers range from 85 to 110.

Type I is a whole other thing. That is pitiful since it strikes small children who are frightened and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    Type I is a whole other thing. That is pitiful since it strikes small children who are frightened and confused.
    I have 2 type 1 diabetic grandchildren. Children quickly get over the "frightened and confused" feeling. Today, type one diabetic children can eat almost anything. Moderation in carb intake is the key. If they are going to a party or other special event they quickly learn that they can have a small piece of cake or a small dish of ice cream if they are willing to forgo other carbs. Many kids opt to use the insulin pump, which eliminates the need for 3 or 4 shots insulin daily. Diabetes, both type one and two is a nasty disease. But, with proper care, the diabetic can still live a long and active life. My grand kid's paternal grandfather is a type 1 diabetic. He's still healthy and active and is well over 70 years of age.

It's also interesting that the winner of a recent season of The Amazing Race is an MD, and a type one diabetic. She and her partner where the first all woman team to win that grueling race around the world.

My grandson is 10 months old and was diagnosed with neonatal diabetes at 4 months. He will never outgrow it because of the mutation it is. We watch his carbs and sugars and he gets shots as needed. Right now they are looking at putting him on oral insulin to be taken when he eats. When he is at home and in his environment his sugars stay pretty stable but when he has to be gone for a few days it starts acting up. I had to keep him 8 days while his mother had and was recouping from surgery and it was a battle to control because he wasn't home in his routine.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I also saw where bariatric surgery "cures" diabetes. Morbidly obese diabetics who underwent the surgery no longer had it after their morbid obesity was treated. Anyone had this experience?

I am not totally sure, but I think bariatric surgery was being considered as standard treatment for diabetics. Interesting...a surgical cure for a metabolic problem.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I also saw where bariatric surgery "cures" diabetes. Morbidly obese diabetics who underwent the surgery no longer had it after their morbid obesity was treated. Anyone had this experience?

I am not totally sure, but I think bariatric surgery was being considered as standard treatment for diabetics. Interesting...a surgical cure for a metabolic problem.
    Shay - if you feed "bariatric surgery for diabetics" to a search engine, there are a couple of good links.
    This procedure is recommended only for morbidly obese diabetics, as overweight is one of the contributing factors to type II. When my husband was diagnosed, he set about losing weight on his own. He lost 70 lbs. in less than a year. In the intervening years since, he has lost another 30.

Bariatric surgery is considered a somewhat dangerous proceedure, and those who undergo it must understand their food intake limitations, otherwise they will either get real sick or eventually stretch out their stomachs again and undo all the good.

Genetics also plays a part in diabetes, like it does in other chronic conditions. There are a couple of people I know who are diabetic (type II) who were never overweight and always ate well and exercised. Go figure!! Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction!!

In Canada and being a diabetic myself I know that surgery after weight loss is now free because it helps diabetics. I have never heard of anyone who is diabetic become not diabetic although it is hotly debated. I do know that the more active a person is, the more healthy and more skinny for lack of a better word decreases your sugar readings. Five years ago I lost 50 pounds and reduced my sugar readings in half, now that I put all that weight back on due to a medical problem that makes it hard to walk far, my sugar is back up and I am on pills for it. Hopefully one day when I am not in so much pain I can start to walk again and get the weight off and my sugar back down to just diet controlled instead of taking pills for my diabetes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always been amazed at how many diabetics are out there. I knew that it was not, necessarily, uncommon, but I was surprised at how prevalent it really is....and lots of slender people are included under that umbrella, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I've always been amazed at how many diabetics are out there. I knew that it was not, necessarily, uncommon, but I was surprised at how prevalent it really is....and lots of slender people are included under that umbrella, too.
    The frightening thing is the "epidemic" of overweight teenagers with type II. Most of them have a terrible diet and need to lose many pounds. I am sure my husband had it for a while before he was diagnosed. He always used to drink tons of water, Coke, or whatever. My mother said something to me about it and I ignored it. It would not have done any good for me to say anything; hubby just had to learn a hard lesson himself. In a way it saved his life, as he lost all that weight and took that burden off his cardiovascular system. So sometimes the cloud has a silver lining..........

+ Reply to Thread