+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I learned something new today. Those annoying little grease spots that appear on clothes after washing and drying them are most likely caused by the darn dryer sheets! I have cleaned out the washing machines, used different soap, washed in hot water and still they just spring up on nearly every piece of clothing in the load! I looked it up and it is usually caused by the dryer sheets. No more dryer sheets for me ever again!
    I get those grease spots, too, but I don't use dryer sheets so I know it's not from them. I have no idea what is causing them in my wash. I assume the washing machine probably needs maintenance but I can afford to do it, don't even know where I'd take it, and wouldn't know how to do it myself.

I've read that Fabric Softener the liquid kind can put spots on clothes as well. Many women have called manufacturers requesting answers on how to remove the stains and the customer service rep just asks how much the clothes are worth and sends a check. Apparently this is extremely common. In my research I've found that if these people use half or a quarter of a dryer sheet and do not use the hottest setting, the stains aren't as prominent. I'm still never going to use dryer sheets again unless I can find a product that won't ruin my clothes.
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Just chiming in here with my experiences:

1. It is a well known fact that hot water sets stains. I always spray stains as soon as I can and let the garment sit in a tub of water until you're going to do laundry. I never use hot water for laundry.

2. When I got the grease spots, it was the first sign that the transmission in the washing machine was going....what the spots were was transmission fluid. The solution, unfortunately, was to buy a new machine. The value of the machine deteriorates as time goes on, and the value of the machine needs to be weighed against the cost of the repair. They all wear out eventually............

Hope this is helpful.

Buglover, I had the same problem a couple of years ago with the spots. I switched to Bounce perfume and dye free dryer sheets and that really helped. Then when a few spots were still showing up, I did some more research and read complaints about liquids with built in softeners causing spots. I use All free and clear liquid with oxy, along with the dye free dryer sheets and I haven't seen a spot for a really long time now. I hadn't thought about the transmission going bad and that could be the problem in your case if nothing else helps. My machine is pretty old so if I do start seeing the spots again then I can use it as my excuse to get a new washer, especially if the stains show up on my husbands work clothes.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I've been using the 3 in one sheets because they are easy to travel with back and forth to the hospital. I had this problem a while back when I first moved into our apartment complex and I used to use liquid Tide and Snuggle dryer sheets back then. I threw away many of my favorite shirts because of these spots. I've learned on the net that public dryers can have build up from everyone's dryer sheets, etc creating wax on the dryer drum. Good news is I also found that I can use a small amount of dishwashing liquid in the wash to remove the existing grease stains and just hang my clothes after that. Gonna try it tonight.
    Hi Bug, right before I read this post yesterday I was cleaning up a mess I made when I accidentally put regular Tide in my high efficiency washer instead of the HE variety - it created a foamy mess and I had to run the clothes through a second time to get the suds out. Then put vinegar in a load of towels to get the lines cleaned out. I was feeling a little overwhelmed and then read about your laundry problems with spots. I was thinking that you had been using some funky softener sheets, but then read that you were using the same sheets and detergent that I use. But I have never had spots? I have used these products with two different washing machines and dryers for a number of years. What type of fabric gets the spots? Knits or wovens? I do try and use the lowest dryer setting possible to save energy, so maybe that helps if the dryer is not too hot.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I stopped using softener, completely, years ago. No spots. I don't really find that I miss the softener. That is one gimmick that I find I can do without.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I dont' think I get the spots either. After having to line dry everything with an overly zealous energy scrooge of an ex, when I got divorced and started using a dryer and softener the kids were in heaven. No more stiff as boards towels and jeans. Everything smells so good. Sometimes it's a matter of chosing your battles and knowing what simple things make you happy.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't have any problems with stiffness, but maybe my water is not of the type that causes stiffness? I am glad as heck not to have to buy fabric softner. I used to, but I think that was more about the fact that it was on the shelf, commercials, and everybody else was using it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I don't use dryer sheets after being told br a repair man, that the stuff builds up and can cause damage to the machine. They also make towels less absorbent. I am making my own laundry detergent and dishwasher powder now. I can control the fragrance in the laundry soap too. I read the average family spends about $700 a year on this stuff. I spent $8 for the ingredients for both and have a 4-6 month supply. The laundry soap is slighty more work, but not much and can be used in the newer machines. No extra additives for sensitive skin or bad stuff to mess up the environment. It makes 3 gallons of liquid, so I saved the last detergent bottle I bought and refill it. $8 is what I pay for one bottle. I'm so impressed and love saving money. Also switching to other cleaning products and cutting costs.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

I do use dryer sheets, but never in a load of towels; it does, indeed, make towels less absorbent.

I congratulate you, MRD, on making your own laundry detergent and dishwasher powder. Care to share your "recipes?"

+ Reply to Thread