+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7207Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've always had really strong nails that grow long if I don't cut them. In hs, I used to write math equations on my fingernails in pencil. If I worried that the teacher was going to catch me, I could just rub it off with my finger. Funny thing is, I didn't really ever use them because writing them small to fit them on my nails helped me to memorize them!

I did okay in college chemistry, but that was 15 years ago. It's almost all gone now, although I can still recite most of the periodic table. Memorization is the key with most science and math courses, I've found.

queenb - does your school have a tutoring center? If your prof isn't helpful, maybe someone at the tutoring center would be. Unless things have changed, it's usually a free service.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks y'all! I think the best thing would be to contact the local university, which isn't where i'm going, and get the chem professor's names. Then I can email them to see if they have a student that might want to make a few bucks a week getting me ready. I need more help than the brief amount of time I can get out of the free tutors, who are always booked, and you can only get 30 minutes at a time. Plus, it's 70 miles to my school, and I'd rather pay the gas money to a local and get more study time in the pricess. I think what I do BEFORE the semester starts August 24 is the key in this case. Also, I already plan to make myself some flash cards, and to work on the part of the book that I have at least already attempted to learn, and do every single practice problem--over and over. Uggggghhhhh. The worst of it is that while I ended up getting a B in my Algebra, and am not the math dummy I used to be, I still don't like it, and find this whole area boring as dust so it's that much harder for me to concentrate. . I much prefer Biology, Physiology, etc. However this should be the LAST class I feel this way about, so yay.

Passedpartout I know how disappointed you must be. But you wouldn't have felt right or had much fun had you gone, and New York isn't going annywhere. I hope you can find another time slot for your trip soon!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Missed that post! Glad you commented. I agree. Your mom comes first.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

About when do girls get the aversion to math? When I was tutoring the children at the center, most of the elementary school girls always listed math as one of their favorite subjects, right along with the boys. Somewhere along the line, that seems to change.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I think I've always been more word-oriented than number-oriented, even before starting school. I've loved to read since I was very young. My grandparents have said that every time I came to visit, I always brought books with me, read in the car, etc. I don't know too many kids who amuse themselves sitting around playing with numbers.

I do have some aptitude with numbers. One of my favorite games in puzzle magazines are cross sums, which is a number-based puzzle. My other favorites are mostly word-related, like the crytograms and anachrostic. For a long time I was a fan of logic puzzles but not so much anymore.

I did ok in math and science in school but never developed the keen interest in it that I did in my English and writing classes. I don't know why that is.
    Last edited by pikachu; 07-12-2011 at 02:07 PM.

I never had an aversion to math; I just seemed to do better with English and the Humanities. Then, when I took my PSAT's, I found out I actually scored higher on the math than the verbal.
    I understood, then, why I had done so well in Algebra, Geometry and Trigonometry.
    I grew up at a time when many females probably were subject to "don't worry about doing well in math, as you're a girl" type of mentality.
    However, I never felt myself a victim of it, perhaps because I had a mother who was always doing things that were designated "men" work.
    I also never fell prey to the Cinderella Complex, yet most of my friends did.
    Amazing how we can all be subject to the same things, yet we don't all fall victims to them.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I, too, preferred the verbal skills and writing; I was encouraged to become a writer, and didn't. It took me going to college to see a whole new, exciting world in math. I never could understand how my friends at my Catholic girls' HS were so good at math. I guess you could call me a 'late bloomer', mathematically speaking.

I find myself being a little jealous of the girls I tutor who claim that math is one of their favorite subjects....but pleased!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    About when do girls get the aversion to math? When I was tutoring the children at the center, most of the elementary school girls always listed math as one of their favorite subjects, right along with the boys. Somewhere along the line, that seems to change.
    It absolutely changes in middle school. As a kid I did well in all of my classes, but I always thought I was always stronger in math and science and it ended up leading me to a job in the technology field. I know that when I hit an age where I started becoming more interested in boys, I stopped "advertising" my intelligence. At the time smart girls just weren't the ones that high school boys were interested in. Sadly I don't think we have made all that much progress. The other day my 15 year old son was watching a techie news show about stuff like video games and the Internet. I had thought this channel did more to promote the "hot smart girl" idea, but on this day the girl who was hosting was dressed in skin tight pants and a half-shirt and she was acting like a complete moron.

I currently do a lot of volunteer work with elementary school kids to promote the idea that science is fun and I find it very rewarding. We hope that by getting in with both boys and girls while they are young we can instill the "science and math are fun" attitude rather than the "science and math are hard" attitude that a lot of kids end up with. I also think it is important that, by volunteering, I can put the face of a female scientist in front of these young girls. If the only people they see involved with science and math are men then they are going to think those roles are for men!! The company I work for also does a lot of work promoting STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) careers with girls who are in middle and high school.
    prhoshay likes this.

Makes total sense. The girls seem to start wanting to "dumb down". Have to admit that being in school with boys for only the first 8 years seemed to be a plus, but the brainiac girls were the brainiac girls, no matter where they seemed to be...but most of us had been in school together for years and years. The boys didn't seem to be too interesting back then....just goofy. One of the brainiacs developed a crush on one of our goofballs, but she didn't let that derail her excellent progress, but I could definitely see how it could happen.

One of my sophomore tutees (female) was a brilliant mind, but was too boy crazy. I actually told her mother that she'd do very well in an all-girls school! The boys will always be there when school hours are over, and I think the all-girls school would challenge her more! Plus she has demonstrated the ability to get along...well.... with other girls.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-12-2011 at 05:02 PM.

I have to say that some girls are bad at math *ahem - hand up*. I never dumbed myself down and scored in the top 2 percentile in the nationwide IQ testing (142 IQ), but I never got math and never successfully memorized the multiplication table. This is currently painful as I work for a global finance firm and math is really important at the office, but I power through with the knowledge that I need to double check everything and the judicious use of a calculator. After ten years I still don't understand the formula for the ERP calculations, though.

And, I'm sad to say, anything technical makes me cry. I am awesome with the design aspects of Word and I can build an acceptable Excel spreadsheet, but Mr. Rattus needs to do whatever needs to be done to get music onto my iPod - seriously, it makes me cry trying to figure it out.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread