+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6255Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had a good friend in HS who had two older brothers and her parents flat out told her that they didn't expect her to do well in school because she was a girl!!!! C's with the occasional B or D were just fine. Grrrr. The only academic class that we were in together was American History and I made her study with me as much as possible for tests. (Looking back, I must have been really bossy!!!) When she'd study, it was straight B's, with the occasional A. So she had the ability to do better, she just didn't bother trying. This was in the 70s, by the way.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by buglover View Post
    I realize my stress level is contributing to the weight gain.
    I had just lost 100 lbs when Zac was diagnosed with leukemia. During his 15 month battle I put it back on plus some. In January, about 16 months after he passed away I started back on Weight Watchers. I have lost over 64 lbs. with another 48 to reach goal, averaging 2.6 lbs per week. It took a while for me to get the motivation and desire to get back with it. I only do the online, not attending meetings this time around. So I know what you are going through Bug. It's rough and you have my support all the way in every single bit of your battle. Cancer sucks, big time.

Congratulations on the weight loss Unklescott and good luck to anyone trying to take off a few pounds. I am an emotional eater too, and maintaining my weight is a constant battle for me.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I remember the days of 'fixing up' outr jeans I'm the unluckiest person ever and if i did that i'm sure the instructor would happen to look at my pants just so, and see it. My biggest problem with the Chem was that I never had it in HS so trying to play catch up plus learn the college level things at the same time was just too much and I wasn't prepared. I plan to work, work, work next month to get up to speed and ready to learn. Even the tutor is no good when the homework takes you 2 hours even if you DO have a clue--we do have tutors but they stay pretty busy, and I need more time. Had rather pay someone a few bucks for a couple of quality hours per week, all at a sitting with no disruption . I was 'right-at' getting a failing grade and slipping more when the deadline to drop approached, and i figured i'd better be safe. vet tech only accepts 30 per year and I do not want an F or even a C sitting there when they evaluate me! I have nothing planned for August away from home anyway, so should get in some good study time.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I used to write my crib notes on the inside of a yellow jacket! Shame on me! Never got caught. Didn't know about the jeans, but that was a good idea! Nobody ever seemed to think it was odd that I only wore the lovely yellow jacket, except on test days! Oh well, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! I don't even remember what class it was. I didn't take HS chemistry either, but I did remediate myself for a bunch of the math, and ended up loving it. I used to use some book called a programmed learning workbook that completely walked you through every litte step of a process until you got it, with the answers in the back for self-testing. It really gave me a boost. This was all stuff that I decided to do on my own. It was pretty neat, and it paid off.

I loved college!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I remember in HS if there was something we had to memorize like the periodic table of elements or math formulas that I KNEW I would never need to know, I wrote with blue pen on my blue jeans making a design out of it and around it. Back then everyone did stuff to their jeans - patches, embroidery, trim, etc. I know it was cheating, but there are times when you have to look at the big picture and ask yourself what really matters.
    . Where were you with this idea in my HS? I flipping memorized the whole periodic table. I only use it now on occasion when answering Jeopardy questions. Queenb, I need Chemistry as well and I haven't had it in 33 years and that was the male teacher and he was a jerk. I barely got a C and my dad had a degree in Chemical Engineering and was tutoring me at home.

Queenb sent you an email.
    Last edited by MRD; 07-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I don't remember too much about high school chemistry (mid 70's) except that our diminutive 5' 2 ish teacher was a hoot. I still can see him now playing Bloody Mary, coconuts and all, in the faculty musical production of South Pacific. (Yes, our h.s. faculty put on productions nearly every year... they were fantastic.) Anyway, back to chemistry, I vaguely remember experiments and bunsen burners but what I most remember were balancing chemical equations. Anyone remember doing those? That was my favorite part of chemistry. I always loved math and I loved the math aspect of balancing equations. Apparently I was quite good at it b/c the teacher asked me to help other students in class who were having difficulty. Sigh. It seems so long, long ago. Good luck, queenb!

You mean we were supposed to actually attend class??
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    MRD, Pikachu, Ellen, Gutmutter...anyone...need a job tutoring me?--I had to drop Chemistry and am retaking it beginning the end of August. I didn't have it in High School, HELP. ...
    Chemistry was not my forte in high school, though I did manage mostly Bs, with an A during the quarter in which we had the organic chem unit (it was mostly memorization, and I'm great at developing mnemonic devices).

I would be very happy to help you in whatever way I can. In my case, it would be helping you develop learning and study strategies. That is to say, I wouldn't be teaching you chemistry, but I could help by working with you in your approach to coordinating your learning style with aspects of your class (requirements, syllabus, textbook, instructor's teaching style, etc.). Does that make sense? PM me if I can be of help to you.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

School Is In Session! Passepartout's Avatar

We were going to go to NY but because of my mom's kidney stones and health, I decided not to go. As hard as it was. I felt that I needed to be with my mom first and foremost of all. Now that my dad has gone back to work. After two months off. You have to give up something, in order to take care of those that you love you know.
    Columbia, MD likes this.
    Can't Wait for NFL!

+ Reply to Thread