+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6960Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Buglover -- I am in the same rowboat with you. I have put on 30 lbs. from stress eating and lack of exercise. I was in that awful back brace from Oct. to the end of Dec. No exercise for me!! I can take reasonable walks now and stand on my feet for some time, but this injury will haunt me, I am afraid, for the rest of my life. I've also been down the depression road....but for me it means going to bed and eating very little. Maybe we can be each other's support group!! I'm going back to my yoga class today to see if I can do it. It is a great help with stress, and our instructor makes it a bit more like a workout with some spiritual stuff thrown in. Namaste, my friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    buglover likes this.

I've been having great luck with the nutritarian diet I've been on. I'm not suggesting the whole hog for you because it requires pretty single-minded committment, but if you start including a big salad for one or both of the main meals of the day you'll be filling your stomach for not many calories. A good dressing is a peeled orange and a handful of cashews in a blender (I keep my Magic Bullet on the counter). Keep peeled, cut bananas in the freezer and you have the makings for a variety of healthy "ice cream". My favorite is frozen bananas, walnuts, and soy milk (I use almond milk) - again in the Magic Bullet. Tastes just like chunky monkey. Add frozen cherries and a T. of cocoa powder and you're closer to Cherry Garcia. Simple changes can make a big difference. I keep baby carrots and hummus in the fridge for a good snack. Good luck!
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have to say that all my math teachers and all but one of my science teachers in school were women. This back in the 70's too. They pushed us all to learn and not just the boys. I realize I was incredibly lucky to have these teachers and also a strong mother who held a job normally considered a "man's" job and who also did home repairs and other things around the house considered "mens" work (my dad was helpless around the house). So I never got the sense that gender mattered until I was grown and got slapped in the face with it at a job. Boy was I surprised. Especially as it came from a woman. And in my observations, not a lot has changed
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD, Pikachu, Ellen, Gutmutter...anyone...need a job tutoring me?--I had to drop Chemistry and am retaking it beginning the end of August. I didn't have it in High School, HELP. I've completed everything else with an A except my Vet classes which I can't take take until I finish Chem...and I'm thinking words you can't put here!
    MRD, do ya have a new email, changed it, don't look at your Pm's here or just hatin' on me? Please pm
    Gutmutter, I wish I had been able to stick with a program like that! It's sort of what I was doing prior to WLS, only I was too weak to stick to it. Good for you! Now, with 'help' I'm really more careful about what I eat, and the quantities control themselves. I just don't have that big grease/sweet tooth anymore.

Ugh, awful picture of Pandora, need to make a new AV
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

You never would have convinced me ahead of time that I would ever lose my addictions to sugar, processed foods like bread, crackers, and pasta, and fat/oil. Every once in a while I'll sautee something in a little olive oil, but I get my fats from nuts and seeds now. I still have half a pint of red velvet ice cream from Ben & Jerry's that I'll have a spoonful of from time to time and I have some frozen chicken/veggie eggrolls in the freezer from before I started the program. They only take 90 sec. in the microwave and aren't as bad as, say, cookies - but I do feel guilty if I eat one. I don't know. I guess I was just ready to do it.

queenb - why did you have to drop chemistry? If you weren't understanding it, that's the teacher's job. Ask her/him when/where you can get help there.Most colleges have a free tutoring program. I haven't taken chemistry since HS but I'd be glad to help if there's any way I can.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It's been 6 years since I took Chemistry so I'm not sure how much I remember but we'll be here to support you when you retake it in August.

If there's more than one teacher teaching Chemistry at your school, I would suggest you try taking it with a different teacher. That alone might help.

One of the things I got confused about math in high school was I thought you had to find the one right formula to solve the problem you were working on. My chemistry teacher taught me that sometimes you have to start with the figures you have and plug those into a formula to come up with the numbers you need to use the formula that gives you the answers you want.

It's helpful when you have a teacher who gives you the formulas on the tests so you don't have to memorize them. If they don't do that, I'd make up flash cards to help learn them.

I remember in HS if there was something we had to memorize like the periodic table of elements or math formulas that I KNEW I would never need to know, I wrote with blue pen on my blue jeans making a design out of it and around it. Back then everyone did stuff to their jeans - patches, embroidery, trim, etc. I know it was cheating, but there are times when you have to look at the big picture and ask yourself what really matters.
    Lil Bit likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I always thought it was dumb of teachers to make us memorize stuff. The multiplication tables you need to know but other than that, as long as you know where to look it up, there's no reason to commit it to memory. I doubt attorneys have every statute memorized. They just learn where to look them up and how to interpret them.
    Lil Bit likes this.

I had one computer teacher who allowed us to use our books during tests and another who didn't. The one who didn't said that we wouldn't be able to use our books in real life. I told her I most certainly would. I would also have all the resources available on the internet. She didn't appear to be amused, and didn't let us use our books either. Oh well, it never hurts to try.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I was in HS, I was taught mainly, by the nuns, and a few lay teachers. The one and only lay teacher that taught geometry was a droning monotone, and I found it impossible to keep my concentration with her because I was always thinking about how horrible she sounded. I just could not do it. It took me getting to college, and being exposed to different instructors....and usually, they were men....for me to really catch fire, and see that I was no dummy when it came to math. These instructors made me want to learn. And chemistry, so it turned out, was a breeze....but I bugged the instructor so much about "not getting it", that he reevaluated how he was teaching it, much to my advantage. He kept breaking it down until it was more and more basic and simplistic. As someone who has tutored little grade school children, I found that you really have to work at (and it is not always easy) in breaking something down to its most simplistic components. That will wear you out! Simpler is actually harder to convey! The one female math teacher that I had in college (and I had to DROP her) was so busy throwning her flirtatious boobies around the classroom at the football players and "tee-hee-heeing" that she was an impossibility, for me.

The right teacher can make all of the difference in the world for success.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 07-11-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread