+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7294Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I feel that way during the school year. This is the first summer in a long time I can just relax. Usually I have to take a course or something comes up that requires my full attention (cancer, finding a house, working as a lifeguard, going to Africa). I have a long list of things to do, but no deadlines.
    Count your blessings!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm going back to school, too! I graduated in 1994 with a degree in Criminology but ended up not having enough science courses to get a job at the department of law enforcement like I wanted (why my college counselors never told me I needed more science courses, I'll never know). I stuck with doing clerical work and have been very unhappy and underpaid.

I decided to go back and take the science classes I needed but toward the end, decided to change paths. I didn't know what I wanted to do in the field of Criminology so I looked at what I liked doing in my spare time, which was computer graphics, and decided to get certificates in graphic design and web technology. I'm getting close to being finished now.

I didn't take any classes during the summer term but I plan to take typology next term, and possibly an advanced web page design class, too. I'm still trying to decide if I want to tackle two classes at once or just take typology alone. Probably a lot will depend on if I can afford textbooks for both classes. I work for the State so they pay my tuition, I just have to pay for textbooks and lab fees but those can add up to a lot!

What classes are you taking, gutmutter? What degree are you going for, or are you pursuing an advanced degree in something you already have?

I have a masters in early adolescent education, but our contract requires us to take courses every 3 years. Also for every 3 classes you take your pay goes up. Right now I'm taking a distance course in how boys and girls learn differently.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter - I remember being told when I was a little girl and having trouble with math that it was okay because I was just a girl and girls aren't supposed to be good at math or science. I really, really hope that has changed in the last 40 years or so.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    Gutmutter - I remember being told when I was a little girl and having trouble with math that it was okay because I was just a girl and girls aren't supposed to be good at math or science. I really, really hope that has changed in the last 40 years or so.
    Gosh, I hope so, too. I heard the same thing as kid. I always thought I was bad at math, but that's not true. It was always taught/explained in ways that didn't make sense — step-by-step, without ever a "big picture" overview in the intro of any given topic. I've recently discovered that, in fact, I'm very good at math and science!
    Lil Bit likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I had trouble with math in school. I always got good grades in it (with the exception of Algebra) but didn't understand how I arrived at the right answer. When I went back to school, I got a wonderful chemistry teacher and she really made me understand math formulas better. I was even able to help other students in our class who were struggling. If only I had gotten a teacher like her in high school! She gave me confidence in my abilities and made me see that maybe the problem wasn't all me. My previous teachers weren't being so successful at imparting their wisdom to their students.
    Ellen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I had trouble with math in school. I always got good grades in it (with the exception of Algebra) but didn't understand how I arrived at the right answer. When I went back to school, I got a wonderful chemistry teacher and she really made me understand math formulas better. I was even able to help other students in our class who were struggling. If only I had gotten a teacher like her in high school! She gave me confidence in my abilities and made me see that maybe the problem wasn't all me. My previous teachers weren't being so successful at imparting their wisdom to their students.
    Anyone can be good at something; however, NOT everyone is able to successfully and effectively share his/her knowledge and talents with others.
    I discovered that big time with grad student TAs in college. Full-on professors, too. Ugghh! Talk about a pool of lousy instructors! Not all (some TAs and professors were great teachers as well) -- but, for the most part, they had a lot of knowledge, but no clue whatsoever as to how to share that knowledge effectively with their students. Big flaw in our higher education system!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Well, I went out in search of some shorts that will fit tonight. I ended up buying a pair, not very flattering but they fit. I nearly had a panic attack when searching for some sort of flattering summer dresses so I just bought the shorts and left. I really need to get over this and embrace the fact that I have 40 extra lbs and just be ok with it until it manages to come off. I am in awe of bigger women who look sexy and have no apologies for their weight. Everyone pray I can do that too because I need to go back to the office in Sept when my son's treatment is over.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Bug,

I feel for you, but keep in mind you've been carrying a full plate fo a long time. I can't imagine how you deal with it all, in fact. That's amazing.
    Since you have until September, though, there's a lot you can do in that amount of time.
    Probably the best program ever, Weight Watchers, should be able to help. It's really not a diet; just eating regular food.
    I would combine that with an exercise program - even just brisk walking - and the pounds will probably peel off.
    Good Luck and Namaste.
    Cootie likes this.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I realize my stress level is contributing to the weight gain. I also hardly ever leave the house and I know if you don't move around, you can't burn calories. I think I'm going to start dragging Mr Buglover out in the evening just for a quick walk around the neighborhood and try to not stuff my face with bad stuff. It's just so easy to order out when you have depression..... he needs to lose a few lbs as well so it could be good for both of us!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread