+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    ...Ya'll behave and have fun.
    Behave and have fun? At the same time? Is that even possible?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

MRD -- best wishes for your ten days away. We will all miss your intelligent posts!!

I'm home from a family gathering in Ohio at my mom's and need a small whiney vent. Feel free to skip this post. I'm eating a strict diet of fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts (for the most part) and had e-mailed my mom ahead of time that I would appreciate if there were food options I could eat. One niece is vegan, so not a stretch from there. She did not provide one single dish I could eat the entire time, except cut watermelon. What is so hard about a salad? Sauteed zucchini and onions? She made a spinach souffle with eggs and cheese for me the first meal and when I would only eat a very small portion of it, she was offended and never tried again. Not only that, but I had to prepare the food I had brought with me early in the morning so that I wouldn't be in the way in the kitchen at meal times. I overheard her telling a friend on the phone that I was eating a "kooky" diet. And they wonder why I seldom attend these family reunions.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Gut -- I read your "vent." You are perfectly justified in how you feel. I cannot have much sodium due to a chronic medical condition, and I wouldn't like it if my mom (may she rest in piece) put potato chips, lunch meat, cheese, etc. out for me to eat. This sounds like echoes of last year for you. Hopefully you can just put it on the back burner and get on with life, as I know you will do.............
    prhoshay likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I'm home from a family gathering in Ohio at my mom's and need a small whiney vent. Feel free to skip this post. I'm eating a strict diet of fruits, veggies, beans, and nuts (for the most part) and had e-mailed my mom ahead of time that I would appreciate if there were food options I could eat. One niece is vegan, so not a stretch from there. She did not provide one single dish I could eat the entire time, except cut watermelon. What is so hard about a salad? Sauteed zucchini and onions? She made a spinach souffle with eggs and cheese for me the first meal and when I would only eat a very small portion of it, she was offended and never tried again. Not only that, but I had to prepare the food I had brought with me early in the morning so that I wouldn't be in the way in the kitchen at meal times. I overheard her telling a friend on the phone that I was eating a "kooky" diet. And they wonder why I seldom attend these family reunions.
    As someone whose mother died in 1987 (and I was the baby!), I might feel more sympathetic if there was a chef or a maid who was not on their job. I know this may sound kind of hard-nosed to some but (being aware of the past situations at your mom's house) I do feel you should have been prepared or come prepared to fend for yourself. Some parents do come to a point in their lives where they declare themselves "off duty". I WISH my mother was here to declare herself "off duty"....I still, to this very day, had/have a lot to learn and discuss with my mother.

And you own no one an explanation as to why you seldom attend your family reunions.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I did come prepared to fend for myself, and that is exactly what I had to do. It's not that I expected her to wait on me, but she provided food for everyone else and all I asked was that there be an occasional salad or veggie dish without cheese or oils on the menu. I wasn't asking for anything that would require special purchases. If one of my children were to come home with a special diet, I would bend over backwards to meet their needs while they were here. Sorry if I come off as unappreciative.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I did come prepared to fend for myself, and that is exactly what I had to do. It's not that I expected her to wait on me, but she provided food for everyone else and all I asked was that there be an occasional salad or veggie dish without cheese or oils on the menu. I wasn't asking for anything that would require special purchases. If one of my children were to come home with a special diet, I would bend over backwards to meet their needs while they were here. Sorry if I come off as unappreciative.
    I don't think you came off as unappreciative at all. As a mom of 2 vegetarian sons I come across this all the time. One son (25) has been a vegetarian for almost 8 years and the other (22) for over 2 years. All of the close aunts and uncles know this. And yet, for almost every holiday (we all take turns hosting), I have had to bring a vegetarian entree for my sons b/c I know there will be nothing there for them to eat. I was fuming this weekend b/c at my niece's h.s. graduation party my son basically ate pasta salad and 3 bean salad. I guess I should have been grateful for that (even though it wasn't an accommodation for him) but would it have killed them to throw a veggie burger on the grill? I came bearing a card with a generous check and was not about to go schlepping food to a graduation party.

My mom would have bent over backward to have fixed what we asked. Rant on gutmutter. Veggies is one of the easiest dishes to fix. Think I would stay home next year.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

To my mom, the spinach, cheese, and egg thing would be a healthy vegetarian dish. She's of the age where she would think you HAVE to have protein, and it can't be beans except occasionally.
    I guess it might bug me a wee bit if she made special meals for my niece--nah, that's a grandbaby, I am not. Most in my family that can't or won't eat what's planned bring their own food and have it ready to use. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't even request my mother to prepare special things for me unless she asked what I wanted. She's getting old and I really wish she would let me do more in the kitchen when I go there.
    But that's me, and my family--I couldn't imagine my mm feeding me 'wrong' food just to be contrary. But if she did, and I was sure that it was intentional,I'd be peeved too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Since my grandmother passed away a few years ago, Thanksgiving and Christmas at my aunt's house was always take out food like subway sandwiches, box meals, etc. I finally cooked an entire meal, loaded it in the car and heated it up when we went there last year. Mr buglover really likes his meat and potatoes and the rest of the family just picks at food, never eats much. I have to laugh and say, we are the fat side of the family, we need real food!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread