+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7212Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

So everyone here in Cali...if your car registration hasn't arrived yet it is because they are postponing the printing of the renewal forms until the budget is approved. If you need to renew in July, they will give you 30 days from the due date. Mine is due July 10th and I have not received anything yet. I read that the fees are going to go up. Gee, what a surprise. It goes up every year for me even though both of my cars are 10+ years old and depreciate in value every year. The taxes have killed me! I remember when it was exciting to see the fee go down yearly!
    Yup, with donuts!!

*Effective July 1, 2011* California DMV Registration Fee Increase | Online Vehicle Registration

Schwarzenegger had decreased the fees - which had been very high - a few years ago.
    Now, with all the budget problems and the fact that CA has no $$, they're going to increase them again.
    It totally sucks!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

It's funny because neither of my car's registration has dropped in years, even though they supposedly kept dropping the fees, in fact they have gone up nearly 2 or 3 dollars each year. I'm sure it is the taxes or something but it bugs me to pay over $65 for a smog check and $80-100 in fees to the DMV when both of my cars are older. (Ok, I get the smog check but the fees for reg?) I kind of would rather a .5% increase in sales tax or something because most of what I buy is food which isn't taxable...lol

My fear about this whole month to pay our fees thing is that I won't receive my renewal notice until August or something and will only have a couple of days to smog and renew before it is flagged as not being paid.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Bug,

I feel your pain. I have an older car, too.
    The fees actually did go down when Schwarzenegger decreased them. They'd been really high for a long time, and then they dropped. But, yes, they do still go up after that initial reduction.
    We just can't win out here.
    As far as the smog, they will give you adequate time to do that, too. I wouldn't worry.
    I would shop around for the best rates on smog check. I found a very good, cheap place 2 years ago. I won't go anywhere else, as I have to do the smog every other year.
    One would think this mandatory smog check would produce better air for us. But, it sure doesn't, does it?!!

I'm here in LA right now at Children's and good grief! I can look out and see the orange haze near the ocean. Funny, it isn't sitting right here where we are but if I look at the ocean area, it's definitely orange. I'm sure it is the fact that the beach area has moisture but it looks icky!

I'm a little weird because I have never once been late on registration or anything really. I know it isn't my fault they are postponing it but it makes me feel so weird knowing it is due on the 10th of July but I probably won't pay until August. Yikes!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Yes. At Children's you can really see the air. Not a pretty sight.

I'm the same way about the DMV renewal, but from everything I've heard/read, I would not worry. They are expecting this to happen and have made allowances for it.
    You won't get penalized.
    Take care.

Ok, just spent the last 4 hours fixing the computer. There is a new rogue worm out there that will attach itself to your computer and put harmless (meaning they don't steal real time information by keystrokes or copy documents) files that will slow it down and then a pop up will happen saying XP Antivirus 2012 or (insert operating system)Antivirus 2012 and it will find tons of horrible things on the computer that forces you to either purchase a full version or find a registration key somewhere. This is bogus crap that will slow your computer to a crawl. Download the latest malware app to combat it (most are free) and make sure your software is always on. This p*ssed me off to no end tonight. Can't sleep now because the crick in my neck is painful! Happy hunting! The virus is attempting to make people "purchase" the software which gives them access to your cc's and money.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

I started to put this in the vacation thread but thought more would see it here.
    I was offered a "working" vacation by my old boss. I will be helping her compile research, indexing it. Etc. AT HER HOUSE ON JEKYLL ISLAND!!!!

Probably will not be on much, we have a short amount of time to do a lot of work.

See ya in 10 days or so.
    Ellen, Lil Bit and buglover like this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I started to put this in the vacation thread but thought more would see it here.
    I was offered a "working" vacation by my old boss. I will be helping her compile research, indexing it. Etc. AT HER HOUSE ON JEKYLL ISLAND!!!!

Probably will not be on much, we have a short amount of time to do a lot of work.

See ya in 10 days or so.
    I like working vacations. It's a great way to go somewhere I normally couldn't afford -- and at the same time add to my work experience. And there's still time to squeeze in vay-cay "stuff." Maybe not 24/7 (or 24/10), but sufficient!
    Congrats, and have a great time!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Exactly Ellen. Her house is on the beach too. So know that there will be beach time as well as work time and it will be a great project to put on my resume. I'm really excited and happy that she thought of me. We will be working on a written abstract for an upcoming exhibit for the museum she currently works for. It is also possible that the information may end up in article form and if so, I will be given writing credit for it. Was a last minute offer, but hey, who cares. I am just about packed and will head out in about an hour. It's a 4 hour drive. Ya'll behave and have fun.
    Ellen likes this.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread