+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4479Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Montreal and Quebec. But we'll be seeing more of the inside of the bus than any other venue. I'm starting a new fabric piece and bringing my Kindle.
    Oh lovely places! Too bad you won't get much time in Quebec!

I'm in possession of about 20 years worth of articles my grandfather wrote in a regional newspaper (sometimes he'd get letters from readers across the country, who kept up via relatives). They're stories and memories of his childhood and young adult years...from about 1915 through the 1940's mostly, with occasional Andy-Rooney-like commentary on more modern stuff. He had quite a following in his time, all an aging population hungry for recollections of more innocent and often more trying times.

He was a very good storyteller, and I want to compile his works to share. His generation is, unfortunately, mostly gone...yet there is the aging generation of his children and grandchildren who will remember some of what he discusses. And there are a couple of generations who might well have no idea of how life was like "way back then" and might enjoy (or learn from) his stories.

Questions: Would you be interested in such a compilation? Do you think others might be? If so, would you rather see a traditional book format, an e-book format, or a web page with weekly submissions?

Thanks for your input! I'm at a point in my life where I know I shouldn't put this off any longer, and I want to maximize my efficiency - this will be a part-time endeavor for me.

Please comment here or PM me...seriously, I need sage advice from real people, not publishers or pundits
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

I would definitely read it! Would like to see if possible both traditional book and weekly web page.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm about the traditional book, and I'd read it too!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I think that's a great idea, SugarMama and I'd be interested in reading it as well.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Hey, SugarMama, sign me up! I read as many such compilations as I can - and, trust me, they are rare. I would love to read your grandfather's.

I'm sure lots of folks would. Especially people in the general locale where he lived and published. There would be lots of local historical info for them.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'll have to look those up. I didn't know that there was a box elder beetle. I've only experienced the strong urine-smelling box elder bush, which I had removed immediately after moving in. Thank for a suggestion!

After Googling, alas it is not the boxelder critter. I've seen a couple of them before but never any kind of invasion. The boxelder bug is waaay too big. This bug is solid black.
    Shay-when you find out what the bug is let me know. Cause we have the same bugs it sounds like. Mine are very small but just as you described. I googled pics but didn't find any online.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

I'd ask someone at your local nursery about those bugs. I'll bet someone there knows exactly what they are
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

SugarMama - I'd LOVE to read that in a traditional or Kindle-format version. I'd read a blog if someone led me by the hand and linked me to it... which means anyone older than me wouldn't know how to read that format at all and you'd lose one of the biggest audiences. Make sure the paper doesn't have publishing rights, though.

I ba-ack!
    We got in at 1:30 this morning, but one kid's mom didn't arrive until 30 min. and 2 cell phone calls later. He was the big itch on the trip, so it all becomes clear. Taro was ecstatic to see me and the cats all crowded around, too. We had good weather and it only rained when we were in the hotel or bus. This was the best trip ever as far as kids' behavior goes. We went to Quebec first. It is such a beautiful city and the kids responded immediately while still in the bus "claiming" every interesting house we went by (basically every house) as "theirs". They squealed when they saw that all the signs everywhere were in French. Even though they knew that ahead of time, it still came as a surprise to them. We had an adorable guide with a heavy French accent. Every last girl fell in love with him. The food was good, the tours and sights were good (4th or 5th trip for me, so not really anything new). We stayed 2 nights in Quebec in the Hilton. Someone who had been staying on our floor didn't want to move their room, so the lead teacher and I - and the 3 girls I chaperoned - got moved to the 15th floor with an incredible view. The first morning there we watched a lightning storm approach, hit around us, and move by just before we set off for the day.

While we were gone tornados hit our area just south and west of us. One of my girls' dad had just left his work 10 minutes before the building was demolished by one. The kids weren't allowed to have cell phones, but several of the chaperones had free texting and kept us updated. One young, unmarried aunt of a girl had a high-tech phone that got Wifi so had pictures. I'm slowly coming back to life as I write this and drink my coffee and I have 45 e-mails in my inbox to attend to. Good to be back here with y'all!
    Count your blessings!

Looks like a nice trip, Gutmutter! Thanks for sharing your experience. And sorry about the tornados - this has been a terrible spring for weather related disasters.

+ Reply to Thread