+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Its been a while since I've poked my nose into these parts. MRD, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully you heal soon!
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Yesterday was Kindergarten testing and registration for all the children in town entering K next year. My buddy across the street was one of them. I went down at the beginning of the day to see what time he was scheduled for and it was right after school. I hung around and greeted him when he walked into our library where the testing was taking place. He was looking scared when he walked in, but you should have seen his face light up when he saw me! My kids' K teacher invited me to sit with them while she put him through his paces, and it really helped him feel comfortable (his grandpa was filling out paperwork). When she asked him to draw a picture of anyone he wanted to, he drew me. Afterwards I took them up to my classroom so he could see where I work every day. Then when we got home he came over to play with cars and action figures in my driveway. The last few times he was over all the neighborhood kids were here, so it was fun to just hang out together. Glad to be able to help him over that stressful hurdle.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Yesterday was Kindergarten testing and registration for all the children in town entering K next year. My buddy across the street was one of them. I went down at the beginning of the day to see what time he was scheduled for and it was right after school. I hung around and greeted him when he walked into our library where the testing was taking place. He was looking scared when he walked in, but you should have seen his face light up when he saw me! My kids' K teacher invited me to sit with them while she put him through his paces, and it really helped him feel comfortable (his grandpa was filling out paperwork). When she asked him to draw a picture of anyone he wanted to, he drew me. Afterwards I took them up to my classroom so he could see where I work every day. Then when we got home he came over to play with cars and action figures in my driveway. The last few times he was over all the neighborhood kids were here, so it was fun to just hang out together. Glad to be able to help him over that stressful hurdle.

Aww, that's so sweet that he wanted to draw your picture. You are such a sweetheart, Gutmutter. That little boy is so lucky to have you as a neighbor and your students, their teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    What a sweet thing to do Gutmutter. I remember starting Kindergarten. I was very shy (wouldn't know that now!!) and I was absolutely scared to DEATH! I walked in the classroom and the teacher was my neighbor who lived across the street from us. I imagine my mom had told me that, but for some reason it just hadn't gotten through to me. To this day I remember the feeling of relief when I saw a familiar face! The first day of school is scary, especially for kids who were as sheltered as I was at that age. I'm glad you were able to be there for him and make it a little easier.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I don't know if you read about it back when I found out, but this little boy is the one whose mother was my student, but she was killed in a car accident when he was 2 weeks old. I felt blessed to find out his grandpa is raising him right across the street from me.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is anyone familiar with those little black bugs that you can find on your screens at this time of year? They are shiny, they have wings but don't seem very prone to flying, and they don't move around much...and when they do it's not at a fast pace. They also seem drawn to white/light colors. It's making me crazy trying to find out what this critter is.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Is anyone familiar with those little black bugs that you can find on your screens at this time of year? They are shiny, they have wings but don't seem very prone to flying, and they don't move around much...and when they do it's not at a fast pace. They also seem drawn to white/light colors. It's making me crazy trying to find out what this critter is.
    June Bugs? The are quite big and they are out alot at night if there is a light on outside. Oops just saw that you said they were little black bugs. lol In Canada I usually only see them for the month of June and then not so much after that. Guess that is why they are called June Bugs

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Spiders?? Perhaps if you can capture one in a small container and take it to a place that sells bug stuff, they might be able to help you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I know June bugs (gross!), and it's not a June bug . And it's not a spider. It's a tiny bug with a hard shell.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

prhoshay - could they be box elder beetles? We had them a month or two ago really bad.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

+ Reply to Thread