+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 2503 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627671175171017 ... LastLast
Like Tree6792Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Several of my friends have found out that you will not always get what you're think you're paying for through e-bay, so tread cautiously.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseskid View Post
    Marley, go to this website. http://www.surefit.net and look for the Measuring Guide up at the top.
    Cool, thanks roses!

Regarding eBay - I've shopped and sold there for several years and have had very little trouble. Just pay attention to the seller's feedback and you're right snoopy, some people do overcharge on the shipping. One seller wanted $10 to ship a pair of Crocs, which weigh next to nothing. When I'm feeling especially bitchy, I like to click on "ask the seller a question" and I ask them exactly what services I can expect to receive for such a high shipping cost. The person who was overcharging on the Crocs actually told me that he didn't make any money unless he sold the shoes for at least $25, so he had to make up for it in the shipping charge. I know some people overcharge so they can make up for the eBay and Paypal fees, they will often call it "handling", but that is against eBay rules. You can report excessive shipping charges, I've done it a time or two.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I've gotten some great deals on ebay and some not so good ones...it's buyer beware. But it's also seller beware. I sold a few items on there and was really surprised at how many people are just too stupid to be alive. I stopped selling there 'cause it was too much hassle. Now, I just donate all my items to charity.

I have this general rule of thumb--I don't care if the shipping and handling charge is too high or not. If it fits into my TOTAL budget of how much I wanted to spend on an item, then it's fine with me. If I get a movie for 25 cents and the S/H is $6 (which is more than how much it will cost them to mail it to me), I still get a better deal than if I bought it at Target. I never complain about it to the seller 'cause he or she isn't forcing me to buy their items. It's my choice whether or not to purchase from that seller. Most of the time, the S/H was fine 'cause the items came well packed and in one piece. The only times I complained were when they would mail a movie or something kinda fragile in a plain envelope--unpadded! Come on--use some of the $$ for bubblewrap!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    So, people can set s/h at whatever they want? I've always wondered about that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoisLane
    I have this general rule of thumb--I don't care if the shipping and handling charge is too high or not. If it fits into my TOTAL budget of how much I wanted to spend on an item, then it's fine with me. If I get a movie for 25 cents and the S/H is $6 (which is more than how much it will cost them to mail it to me), I still get a better deal than if I bought it at Target. I never complain about it to the seller 'cause he or she isn't forcing me to buy their items. It's my choice whether or not to purchase from that seller. Most of the time, the S/H was fine 'cause the items came well packed and in one piece. The only times I complained were when they would mail a movie or something kinda fragile in a plain envelope--unpadded! Come on--use some of the $$ for bubblewrap!
    No, they are not forcing me to buy their item, but it's still wrong to overcharge and they should be called on it. Asking a seller to explain what all that money is going for isn't really the same thing as complaining. If I do choose to buy from them I have a right to know what I'm paying for. Ebay has a policy against excessive shipping charges, and they do depend on their members to report and help police that. I'm talking about people who charge $10 and $15 for something that can be shipped for $5 or $6 Priority.

Selling is so much easier now that you can print your own pre-paid shipping labels thought Paypal. Now I just order the free Priority mail boxes from USPS, then when I sell something (and after the buyer pays), I pack it up, print my label and drop it off. No more standing in line at the Post Office. I had auctions going all the time for awhile earlier this year and made over $400 profit selling crap out of my house that would have either gone to Goodwill or sold for next to nothing on a garage sale. My favorite sale was a few years ago, I was in Chicago and had gone to a Cubs game. They were handing out free Hallmark Christmas ornaments with the Cubs logo. I listed mine on ebay and sold it for $20. All my friends that had gone to the game with me were pissed because I made money from mine and they hadn't thought it doing that. It can be fun but there are always a few persnickity buyers who are a huge pain in the butt.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 07-07-2006 at 01:04 AM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I love eBay...I'm a big seller and buyer on there....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD
    I Love ebay and I have been a buyer and seller and have never had a problem. Everything I have bought has been exactly as advertised. Usually tho I am buying from volume sellers tho who have good ratings.

As far as shipping. I recently sold 3 items. I weighed them, got on the USPS site, figured postage and I added $4 for the cost of my time. My time listing the item, packaging the item (and yes, sometimes I've had to buy supplies for packaging) and the time and gas it takes to take it to the post office for shipping. So I don't mind if a seller charges me a litte more for shipping because I know that it takes me about 1/2 hour or more to list, pack and go to the post office or mail center when I ship an item. And I consider my time to be valuable so why shouldn't they.

Excessive shipping is something I avoid. I don't bid on items with excessive shipping unless I can get the item for next to nothing.

I bought the most beautiful sweater. Brand new, still in the packaging for $8 and $8 shipping. The sweater was from one of my favorite catalogs and I went to their website and looked it up and it was a $40 sweater, so I felt I got a great deal there and I've gotten other deals like that as well.

You just have to be careful, don't be afraid to ask questions of the seller, look up similar items on the web and see what the cost is and don't get crazy bidding. There will usually be more than one item similar to what you want and if you are patient you can get it.
    I once spent a month bidding on birkenstock sandals until I got a pair in the price range I wanted. They were $75 shoes I got for $28 and I've worn them for 3 years now. They were brand new in the box. All the other shoes in my size sold for far more, so I just kept watching and bidding until I got the price I wanted.

And if you are not happy with something or it was misrepresented, you can go to ebay for mediation if the seller fails to refund you for the item.

Also its best to read the auction carefully to see if they offer refunds.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    OOOHHH, I am so peeved. I typed out a long reply to Muduhs about families and funerals and lost it.

Let me just say, that I do think Muduh and I are from different branches of the same family tree.

Weddings and funerals here always involve a lot of alcohol. We don't usually have fights, but we have had people remove their clothes and always have one that utters these immortal redneck words: "Hey ya'll, watch this!!!" and we usually then have a trip to the ER after that.

I have many a funeral story myself. Seems that the only time my family really goes out on the wacky limb is at funerals. And one memorable wedding where the aunt knocked the grooms father unconscious with her cane just minutes before the bride came down the aisle.

And if that wasn't bad enough, we also had family reunions about every 2 years. Now talk about drinking and watching stupid things. Those were an education in itself when I was younger. Geez, the thing grown, responsible adults will do when alcohol is involved. (and I'm not talking about the younger generation either. Plenty of the senior citizens in the family carried on as well. They were probably the most funny to watch.

Wish I had that post as I am not going to retype it. I have to leave in a few min.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My son brought home an abandoned kitten yesterday. My husband is pretty ticked off about it. He hates cats. He says if he smells that litter box even once - the cat is a goner. Anybody have advice for me? He isn't allergic, just not a cat lover. How can I keep hubby and kitty in the same house?

Make sure the box get scooped a couple times a day and changed every 2 days. That's what I do no smell. I also use tidy cat for multiple cats it's not a clumping litter because that's so messy, esp when someone steps in it, and then walks around. The stuff I use I just scoop and shake til theres no litter left on the doo doo and flush them.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread