+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7193Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Just found out that we had an F3 touch down, we have friends that live in Gloucester and it's right across the river from us. One tornado ripped up a part of the Colonial Parkway, jumped the river and created a water sprout where it gained strength and then tore through Gloucester. Today was a perfect spring day, beautiful, sunny, clear and nice temperature. Crazy to think that just last night houses were being blown apart.

I was concerned about the upcoming hurricane season, now I'm really worried! Going to check that hurricane kit. We always do in May but I think this year I'm going to do it early.

nennie tornadoes are scary business! Stay safe this season.

GuardianAngel thank you. NC got it much worse than we did.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Does anyone know why air traffic controllers are not on straight shifts?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    No, but I'd be willing to bet that it has something to do with profit margins.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I bet it has something to do with staffing levels.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For such an important job, that seems ridiculous. If there was ever a place that should be fully staffed (and I fully agree with you, Paul), this is one of them. Budget cutbacks should not be an issued. Safety, first, I always thought...but maybe not.

Part of me can't help but wonder if this might be some kind of job action with the agreement/help of some of the pilots. That would not surprise me at all. Not much else makes sense. Would that be stupid.....of course, it would....but I would never underestimate the will and determination of the workers. I'm not meaning to insult, but stranger things have happened.

As I recall, don't we have a poster who has a daughter who is an air traffic controller? I'd like to hear some input from a controller.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Gutmutters daughter is a pilot.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Yes, and according to her the sleeping air traffic controllers problem is a lot more common than you would think. Also pilots nodding off at the wheel (but on automatic pilot) is not uncommon, either.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

For such an important job, that seems ridiculous. If there was ever a place that should be fully staffed (and I fully agree with you, Paul), this is one of them. Budget cutbacks should not be an issued. Safety, first, I always thought...but maybe not.

Part of me can't help but wonder if this might be some kind of job action with the agreement/help of some of the pilots. That would not surprise me at all. Not much else makes sense. Would that be stupid.....of course, it would....but I would never underestimate the will and determination of the workers. I'm not meaning to insult, but stranger things have happened.

As I recall, don't we have a poster who has a daughter who is an air traffic controller? I'd like to hear some input from a controller.
    This all goes back to Reagan firing and banning for life the striking air traffic controllers. There are a lot of airports with no controllers on duty past a certain time at night. The pilots can turn on the runway lights from the plane. Also remember at an airport those controllers are responsible for Ames landing and taking off there. There are centralized traffic control centers that monitor parts of the country for planes in flight and they stay fully staffed. They hand off the individual plane to the airport controller when it gets close.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Have not flown in a while.
    I know that if you place your toiletries in your carry on baggage, they have to be 3 oz. each and be in a clear plastic bag.

If I put my toiletries in my checked in luggage, does that mean I can put in bigger toiletries / hairspray / toiletries, etc?

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    This all goes back to Reagan firing and banning for life the striking air traffic controllers. There are a lot of airports with no controllers on duty past a certain time at night. The pilots can turn on the runway lights from the plane. Also remember at an airport those controllers are responsible for Ames landing and taking off there. There are centralized traffic control centers that monitor parts of the country for planes in flight and they stay fully staffed. They hand off the individual plane to the airport controller when it gets close.
    I dont see how Reagan firing and banning all those air traffic controllers 3 decades ago could effect todays controllers. I am not defending what Reagan did (I wasnt alive back then) but wouldnt all those people be retired by now anyway. The problem has to be something in the current budget that is lacking.

+ Reply to Thread