+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6190Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I copied this from the Peeves thread because we are now venturing into chit-chat territory with my post:

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2137212;
    My father taught me to drive and he always said: drive defensively because you don't know what the other idiot is going to do.
    But my husband does not drive like this at all. He is oblivious to what is going on around him.
    My dad taught me the exact same thing - even told me to anticipate the most idiotic thing the other driver might do.

OK - my husband is not the idiot my posts make him out to be, but he is fodder for entertainment.
    One night we were driving home and he was aggravated about something and complaining to me about it. He turns onto an expressway ramp. A ramp that had two of those big barriers that are painted orange and white, with the flashing yellow lights and the sign that says "Do not enter", you know the ones?
    He steers around them. At this point I am saying nothing, just looking at him. We get to the end of the ramp, which is totally blocked by the road construction rubble, and he stops the car, looks around and says
    (I swear) "What the hell?" I still just stare at him as he backs up the ramp and steers back around the blockades. I no longer let him drive when he is aggravated.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Loving that!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2137378;
    I copied this from the Peeves thread because we are now venturing into chit-chat territory with my post:

My dad taught me the exact same thing - even told me to anticipate the most idiotic thing the other driver might do.

OK - my husband is not the idiot my posts make him out to be, but he is fodder for entertainment.
    One night we were driving home and he was aggravated about something and complaining to me about it. He turns onto an expressway ramp. A ramp that had two of those big barriers that are painted orange and white, with the flashing yellow lights and the sign that says "Do not enter", you know the ones?
    He steers around them. At this point I am saying nothing, just looking at him. We get to the end of the ramp, which is totally blocked by the road construction rubble, and he stops the car, looks around and says
    (I swear) "What the hell?" I still just stare at him as he backs up the ramp and steers back around the blockades. I no longer let him drive when he is aggravated.
    OMG..that is too funny cricketeen....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2137372;
    Don't Indian summers usually occur in October? November Indian summer is probably called "a couple of unusually warm days".
    Maybe they don't have a calendar?

cricketeen, your husband sounds so typical of the guys I know, and especially the one I've lived with for much of my life, that I just had a good giggle. I could easily be in the backseat of that scene.

We were coming across town yesterday and HE was driving. We were sitting at a stop light and, and no one was in front of us. We were just sitting there with cars lined up on each side and I'm sure the drivers behind us scratching their heads. I finally asked why we were three car lengths back from everyone else and he said that he hadn't even noticed.

Indian summer can occur any time AFTER the first frost of the season. There has to be a frost though.

Up here we can actually have a frost in late September and then it may warm up into the 70s in October. That happened this year....we had a frost at the end of September, then about 2 weeks later we had our first Indian summer.

On Halloween it was in the 60s, so that was a big treat for us! The lil' ballerinas weren't wearing their tutus underneath their winter coats! Usually it is raw, cold, rainy, yucky or a combination of all of the above!

It has been rather mild lately and, as I sit here, I have one of the windows opened up here in my computer room.....and it's 7 pm here! It is supposed to start raining later on tonight and will rain all day tomorrow. My neighbor across the street took advantage of today's warm weather to put up all of his outdoor Christmas decorations......and right now they are all lit up!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2137218;
    MamaC, that is too rude. to go to someone's house and go in their bedroom and lay on the bed and watch tv and he was only a boyfriend, not a relative yet either. Beyond rude!

I have always made it a practice to turn off the tv when we have guests anytime. To me to keep it on is rude and says to your guests: what we are watching is more important than having you visit with us. But its often not reciprocated when I'm in someone else's home.
    Yeah, MRD, he was just a boyfriend, never entered the fold. She dated him for several years (waiting for a proposal) before she got a clue.

We also always turned off the tube when people stopped by. When we used to go to my in-laws, who always had their set turned up so loud, it was near impossible to hold a conversation.

Let me ask you all a question.

I also visit a board in a very small town sort of near me. Someone asked the other day if the following is a violation, and got beaten to the ground for asking.

Is it legal to have everyone sitting around tables, voting and conversing at the same time?

The pole captain was incensed that anyone would question that procedure and stated that "that's the way we've ALWAYS done it".

Are any of you familiar with this practice and do they do it at your polling place? I've voted in several places and worked at the polls for years and I have never seen it done.

Where I vote, the only tables are where the volunteers sit and manage the sign-in books. Once signed in, we are directed to go stand in line near a chair in the middle of the room if there is someone currently in the voting booth. That chair has to be so many feet away from the voting booths.

We have a grand total of TWO voting booths -lever style where when you go in and pull the lever, the curtain closes behind you. After voting, you pull the lever again and that is how the votes are counted and curtain opens so you can exit the booth.

That sounds really shocking to me, Muduh!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    muduh, we have to go into our separate voting areas. There is no conversing and if you ask a question about the candidates, they are not supposed to respond to you. They're there to help out if something goes wrong with the machines etc.

Yep, that's what I thought. I was shocked. One lady said that she could only find one seat and all the pollworkers were eating and talking and she couldn't concentrate. It was pointed out to her that all she had to do was ask everyone to be quiet. Who would feel comfortable doing that? Not me, for sure.

+ Reply to Thread