+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Did any of your see the EMHE episode a weeks ago where a family has started a huge campaign against texting while driving? Their daughter, Alex Brown, was killed in a single car accident on her way to school one morning. She was texting at the time of the accident. They carry the destroyed car on a flatbed to show the kids. They give a presentation and ask the kids to sign a pledge that they will not text and drive. Right now, they are only covering Texas, but they hope to expand to other states.
    I can't imagine being strong enough to do that. God bless them for trying to save our children.

Oh Bunny, I am so saddened to hear that she was texting. I did tell my 19-year-old about your daughter when she had her accident, and just thought that maybe it was weather-related or she got "tired" driving so far, etc. Now I am definitely not only telling my daughter about the texting, but also drill it into my older kids who I know have done it. Life is soooo fragile.

My heart still aches for you, Bunny.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember a time when we got along just fine without cell phones that HAD to accompany us everywhere. I am still known for leaving home and not taking it with me. Telephones just aren't that important to me, thank goodness.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I remember a time when we got along just fine without cell phones that HAD to accompany us everywhere. I am still known for leaving home and not taking it with me. Telephones just aren't that important to me, thank goodness.
    I remember those times too. I don't have to stay connected all the time nor do I want too. I'm not a phone talker, tell me what I need to know and then hang up the phone.
    It drives me crazy when I see people talking on their phones when they should be paying attention to the task at hand... driving, small children, their SO, paying for merchandise, etc.

I don't talk on my cell all the time - frankly, I tend to screen my calls quite a bit - but I do admit that I get a little panicky if I realize I've left the house without it. It's more of a "what if" thing. The phone is sort of like a security blanket, especially when I'm out late and driving home alone.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Did any of your see the EMHE episode a weeks ago where a family has started a huge campaign against texting while driving? Their daughter, Alex Brown, was killed in a single car accident on her way to school one morning. She was texting at the time of the accident. They carry the destroyed car on a flatbed to show the kids. They give a presentation and ask the kids to sign a pledge that they will not text and drive. Right now, they are only covering Texas, but they hope to expand to other states.
    There is a local high school that has a don't drink and drive campaign for a month every year, and they display a destroyed vehicle on their front lawn. Its a wake up call, I firmly believe in showing the real thing to a point. They also have students gather in the gym to listen to a guest speaker, a parent, or young teen involved in an accident, as well as clips of real accidents.

Bunny, I'm so sad to read that. It is against the law to use any hand held device where I live. The fines are pretty high. To think 5 yrs ago my job was on the road, and I had that blackberry in my hand constantly while driving servicing my clients. I don't even answer my phone now while driving, I don't even look at it. When they were thinking of passing this law, it was crazy to think that we couldn't use cell phones while driving, now its crazy to think of using a cell phone while driving.

If my phone is with me in the car, the ringer is turned off. Message checking and returning calls can wait.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was making a left hand turn at the end of my block last night. As I got into the crosswalk, suddenly a girl and her dog were in front of me. She was crossing aginst the light and while texting on her cell phone.
    How I did not hit her is beyond me. I was totally shaken; she, however, was totally nonplussed.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Saw Susan Lucci on a talk show, she was wearing an above-the-knee dress with spaghetti straps. This woman looked anorexic/bulimic. I know she is small, but her legs were skeletal looking, and she had bones sticking up from the top of her shoulders....pointy bones. She looked horrible; it was scary. She has a book out that has her in blue jeans and a white long-sleeved collared shirt; she says that that is her husband's favorite outfit/look for her. I'm not surprised....cover it up! She still has a lovely personality, though.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    I remember those times too. I don't have to stay connected all the time nor do I want too. I'm not a phone talker, tell me what I need to know and then hang up the phone.
    It drives me crazy when I see people talking on their phones when they should be paying attention to the task at hand... driving, small children, their SO, paying for merchandise, etc.
    I don't even have a cell phone anymore..the only one in my house that does is my 14 yr old and only because the bus stop is 3/4 a mile from the house

I don't think these kids could survive how a lot of us did...no video games..no computers..no cell phones...no texting...shoot I was 12 before we ever got cable before that we had 4 channels you had to get up and change..lol

and during the summer and weekends you were told to go outside and play if you are thirsty there is the water hose and you booty better be back home when the street light comes on..and you found ways to entertain yourselves with bikes, stickball and hide and seek
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

+ Reply to Thread