+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7212Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I enjoy audiobooks when doing not-noisy house work, but I don't enjoy them when I am driving; they can be distracting from the task at hand, for me. If I'm being driven, I love them. I would loved to have had e-books in college to keep from having to lug around those heavy textbooks. That would have been a godsend. Seems like there would be a service where you can have your textbooks loaded in ebook format, if you were willing to pay for it, with the basic ones already available in ebook format. That would be a worthwhile expenditure.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When I first started listening to audiobooks in my car, I worried about the distraction, but I've found that the tasks of driving distract me from the book more often than the other way around. Many times I will have to rewind because I've missed something while concentrating on my driving.

I seem to remember hearing about colleges and even high schools that are using electronic text books, but I don't think it's very widespread yet.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I've tried audiobooks, and they just don't do it for me. I'm primarily a visual learner, so if I want to get everything, I have to see it. But if just surface entertainment is okay, then they work.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    When I first started listening to audiobooks in my car, I worried about the distraction, but I've found that the tasks of driving distract me from the book more often than the other way around. Many times I will have to rewind because I've missed something while concentrating on my driving.I seem to remember hearing about colleges and even high schools that are using electronic text books, but I don't think it's very widespread yet.
    You know, now that I think about it, that's exactly what happens to me. It's been many years since I've tried driving with the audiobook playing, so I guess I'd forgotten. Thank you for the nudge!

I cna't believe that some corporation is missing out on the electronic textbook market.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I love audio books since I clean houses. It's the perfect thing for my mostly mindless job. I get to 'read' while I'm working. It's such a great distraction from the work.

Exactly!! I listened to Delores Claiborne while I was installing curtains. Really good!

I listened to "Eat, Pray, Love" on my ipod while I painted by bedroom... and another book while I repaired the walls in my sewing room (we had a water issue after a strong rain and a roof problem...all fixed now!). Those books helped me have a pleasant experience doing something that could have been tedious.

All of you have given great ideas about when to listen to audio books. I think my days of painting rooms are over (due to age and laziness) but what a good idea that would have been. I used to listen to talk radio but had to quit because all it did was get me all riled up and mad at somebody or some group. I don't like living in that mood.

I do remember taking audio books with me when we went to Hawaii, and I'd lie out by the pool or ocean with them. Sometimes books just are not comfortable to hold up while lying down.

I always have an audio book going in my car. I get them from the two libraries I frequent. I don't find the book or driving distract from each other at all. I do often hate to turn off the car when I get to my destination if I'm in a good part of the book. I'm always reading a book on my Kindle, too, so occasionally I'll get a cross-over confusion.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I can't listen to audio books or talk radio in the car. Either too distracting or my mind wanders.
    I have never enjoyed being read aloud to. I prefer to listen to music and do my own reading.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread