+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5799Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    A transplanted friend of mine (from Pennsylvania) has always gotten tickled at how Southerners say, "I'm trying to catch a cold." or "I'm trying to get sick." I never even thought about it, but it took her years to get used to it. She said she'd always stop and wonder why someone would want to get sick ?
    That's a good one! I heard it discussed recently on "A Way with Words" on NPR.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555 View Post
    When I lived in Fla(as a transplanted New Englander), I found it funny that the further South you went, the more apt you were to hear people speaking like I did. My ex always said that South Fla. wasn't considered the South.
    It's not. There is a saying about Florida: the further South you go, the more North you get and the further North you go, the more South you get.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Grammatical pet peeves: "supposably" vs. supposedly. Where did this "supposably" come from? Then there is knowing the difference between "loss", "lose", "loose", and "lost". Is it really that difficult? "You're" vs. "your"? "Their" vs. "they're". I am talking college-educated people, here! "Supposably", anyway. I've also noticed that people from all walks of life using "verse" when they should be using "versus"; this has become extremely common....recently heard this one on a newscast. These people give me pain.

I don't claim to know it all or be perfect, but good grief....I wish people would check themselves and have some pride.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Grammatical pet peeves: "supposably" vs. supposedly. Where did this "supposably" come from? Then there is knowing the difference between "loss", "lose", "loose", and "lost". Is it really that difficult? "You're" vs. "your"? "Their" vs. "they're". I am talking college-educated people, here! "Supposably", anyway. I've also noticed that people from all walks of life using "verse" when they should be using "versus"; this has become extremely common....recently heard this one on a newscast. These people give me pain.

I don't claim to know it all or be perfect, but good grief....I wish people would check themselves and have some pride.
    I've seen all of these a lot on FoRT, as well as other places. Facebook is probably the worst. And, as you've said, from supposedly college- and university-educated people. Maybe it's just due to carelessness; maybe it's due to the low standards regarding education in our country. Whatever the reason, it keeps me in business, so I guess I can't complain.

I'm going to be rich according to this email I just received!
    Dear Friend, I am barrister Sam Elliot,I have a business transaction in the tune of $15,000,000.00 USD,which I will appreciate if you will be my partner in carrying out this transaction, after a successful transfer of funds to you, we shall share the funds in the ratio of sixty percent (60%) for me, and forty percent (40%) for you, if you are interested, ensure to contact me. Contact E-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott View Post
    COOL! Can I be your new bestest friend?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Aw, you're luckier than I am I get two to three notices per day that someone's sent me a $1,000 WalMart gift card, two to three notices per week that someone's sent me an I-Pad...I don't know what I did to deserve these great honors Therefore, I just ignore them and let these blessings pass along to someone else.

To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Well there is a sucker born every minute! or something to that effect. (noticed I didn't write "affect") HA! or should it be the other way around?? lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Oh, he must be the lawyer of that Nigerian prince!

You always were my favorite Unkle!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread