+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6933Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2136289;
    So I'm tugging and tugging. I look up just as the neck came loose to see my husband watching me, so I yanked the neck out, held it up and crowed: "It's a boy!"
    He got this puzzled expression, looked at the turkey and asked "How can you tell?"
    That's too funny--your comment AND his reaction.

OK, here's my turkey secret...the husband cooks it but I make the herb rub/sauce for it and that's what he uses to baste the thing all day long. So while I'm still in bed sleeping, the husband is downstairs happily dealing with the gross turkey. (I hate large chunks of raw meat--totally grosses me out) Once I wake up (ahem), I do most of the other stuff but he's a good cook and enjoys having people over so I'm never left alone to do the dishes etc. We have a relatively small kitchen, so I don't like too many people in there at one time. My nieces and nephews are all really good about clearing their own plates from the table. We'll load up the dishwasher, let it dry and then put in the second load. I let the pots/pans soak and then deal with them while people are relaxing. I always offer to help cleanup at people's houses but secretly enjoy it when they don't actually want me to do anything, so I like to offer the same courtesy at our house. Hey, if someone's DYING to do my dishes, have at it, but usually the husband and I have it pretty much under control.

This year, I'm pregnant so I know that my mom won't allow me to do much of anything. She's already instructed everyone that I'm not to do anything more strenous than eat and sleep!

She's already instructed everyone that I'm not to do anything more strenous than eat and sleep!
    It's a cushy job, but somebody has to do it.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2136397;
    It's a cushy job, but somebody has to do it.
    So true, Newfherfer. So true...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2136180;
    I have HATED going to my cousins for holidays or them coming to my house because her husband and son do not ever turn off the tv. I hate that. Especially when they did it at my house! I don't often get to see these people and I want to visit and to me having the tv on is not visiting.
    I soooo hear you on that! When we got married we bought a somewhat small home. We had a decent sized living room, but no family room. And way back then we might have had a 19-24" TV which was considered BIG!

Anyway hubby is the oldest of six, I am second oldest of seven. Add in-laws, out-laws, boyfriends, girlfriends, nieces and nephews.....we could easily have our own zip code.

So my son is born and we are planning his Christening. I tell hubby that I want that big gigantic 19-24" TV out of the living room so we can set extra chairs in that corner. At first he didn't want to do it. I think there might have been some world series playoff game coming on sometime that day. I said, "Look, we are inviting people over here to celebrate son's Christening, not watch a darn game" He moved it like a good boy....and stuck it upstairs in our bedroom!

Imagine my surprise when during the course of the day, I went up to the bedroom to nurse the wee one.....and found his sister's boyfriend lying on my bed watching that darn game! Uh, excuse me.....you HAVE to leave like right now! How rude!

And yes, in our family people willingly do ask to help out in the kitchen. I secretly think hubby likes putting the leftovers away because that way he can grab another plateful of food for himself in the process. I go in only to make sure he hasn't loaded my crystal and sterling knives in the dishwasher because those have to be handwashed.

I looked for that weather thread but couldn't find it. I thought you all might like to know that it was 78 degrees here in Memphis this afternoon. We ran the ac in the car. I can't remember ever running the ac in November before. Now it is storming and supposed to only get to about 50 tomorrow.

The weather thread is in Fun and Games under "Right Now!"

We've been having really bizarre weather, too. It goes from blizzarding to 60 degrees two days later. I'm sure the snow is heading this way again, soon.

we've been having lots of raind and flooding in the surrounding areas here. Yay for the Greater Seattle Area!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

MRD
    Yep it was warm enough to have the windows open and ac on in the car here.

We had 29 degrees 10 days ago and yesterday was 76 and today is supposed to be too, but I guess Muduh's rain is heading our way next as its supposed to go back to being chilly.

My poor, poor, poor deprived daughter from Florida doesn't know what Indian Summer is as I said: this must be what Indian summer is and she looked at me like I had two heads. Maybe I don't know. But I always that that Indian Summer was when it warmed back up a bit in the fall.

MamaC, that is too rude. to go to someone's house and go in their bedroom and lay on the bed and watch tv and he was only a boyfriend, not a relative yet either. Beyond rude!

I ADORE college football, but if we are at someone else's house, I don't make them turn it on. I tivo it and then watch it later. I try to avoid finding out the score so it doesn't ruin it for me, but this season, we have watched recorded versions of games because my husband works a lot of Sat. and isn't always home at 12:30 or 3:30 when the Gators play.
    Today's a game I really want to see and it starts at 3:30. I just told him if he's not home, I'm starting without him.
    He can listen to it at work or in the truck on the way home.

I have always made it a practice to turn off the tv when we have guests anytime. To me to keep it on is rude and says to your guests: what we are watching is more important than having you visit with us.
    But its often not reciprocated when I'm in someone else's home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well our Indian summer was short lived. It's cold as a well diggers butt out there this morning. I have the heat on.

I have mentioned here before about how we used to go visit my inlaws and they would just be sitting there, doing nothing, but when we walked in the door they would fire up that tv so loud that you could have heard it down on the highway a good two blocks away. I never could figure that out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Don't Indian summers usually occur in October? November Indian summer is probably called "a couple of unusually warm days".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread