+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #16781
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I notice lately that people are always correcting others with the use of "me" and "I". Did something change over the last 45 yrs because I was always taught its "Joey and I are going to the movies" "Suzy and I are going shopping".

    Have I been taught incorrectly by those catholic nuns??

  2. #16782
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    I notice lately that people are always correcting others with the use of "me" and "I". Did something change over the last 45 yrs because I was always taught its "Joey and I are going to the movies" "Suzy and I are going shopping".

    Have I been taught incorrectly by those catholic nuns??
    No, you've just been taught incompletely.
    Yes, in a compound subject, "____ and I" is correct, as in your examples. However, as part of a compound object, one needs to use the object pronoun following the coordinating conjunction.

    For example:
    Joey and I are going shopping. ("Joey and I" = compound subject)

    Suzy is going shopping with Joey and me. ("Joey and me" = compound object of the preposition "with.")
    Joey likes Suzy and me. ("Suzy and me" = direct object of the verb "likes")
    Aunt Mary gave Suzy, Joey, and me money so we could go shopping. ("Suzy, Joey, and me" = indirect object of the verb "gave")

    You wouldn't say/write (I hope!) "Suzy is going shopping with I" nor "Joey likes I" nor "Aunt Mary gave I money..." in these examples of simple objects (whether prepositional, direct or indirect); the same rule holds true for pronouns in compounds.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  3. #16783
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    You wouldn't say/write (I hope!) "Suzy is going shopping with I" nor "Joey likes I" nor "Aunt Mary gave I money..." in these examples of simple objects (whether prepositional, direct or indirect); the same rule holds true for pronouns in compounds.
    The "I/me" thing is my second grammatical pet peeve! I've taught my children to take out the "so-and-so and..." and see if it makes sense. You wouldn't say "Please come to the movie with I."

    I = subject
    me = object of preposition

    I hear this misused so often, I cringe (again). In fact, it's becoming so prevalent (as is "snuck") that I've begun to wonder if teachers even know the difference sometimes. I hear it on news/live broadcasts and reality shows, but I can't remember hearing it misused in scripted shows/movies, probably because the writers have been properly trained.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  4. #16784
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I'm so sick of hearing "myself" used instead of 'me' it makes me want to scream. Saying "Bob and myself went skiing" doesn't make you sound educated, it makes you sound like you wnnabe educated!
    I'm also getting that way about 'doing' lunch, 'doing' a recipe, and so forth. Doing what to lunch? And you want us both to do it together? I'm not sure I want to know, and I'm not sure I want you to 'do' my roast chicken either!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  5. #16785
    Ellie May SugarMama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing "myself" used instead of 'me' it makes me want to scream. Saying "Bob and myself went skiing" doesn't make you sound educated, it makes you sound like you wnnabe educated!
    I'm also getting that way about 'doing' lunch, 'doing' a recipe, and so forth. Doing what to lunch? And you want us both to do it together? I'm not sure I want to know, and I'm not sure I want you to 'do' my roast chicken either!
    I agree with the first part, and I'm at the second part! I'll never think of "doing lunch" in the same way. Ever.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

  6. #16786
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by SugarMama View Post
    ...I = subject
    me = object of preposition...
    me = not only object of preposition, but also direct and indirect objects

    ...I hear this misused so often, I cringe (again). In fact, it's becoming so prevalent (as is "snuck") that I've begun to wonder if teachers even know the difference sometimes. ...
    In the district where I tutor (and it's a relatively good district), many teachers don't. I've had to correct their "corrections" with my students.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  7. #16787
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,319

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing "myself" used instead of 'me' it makes me want to scream. Saying "Bob and myself went skiing" doesn't make you sound educated, it makes you sound like you wnnabe educated!I'm also getting that way about 'doing' lunch, 'doing' a recipe, and so forth. Doing what to lunch? And you want us both to do it together? I'm not sure I want to know, and I'm not sure I want you to 'do' my roast chicken either!
    I am so glad you brought up the myself/me usages. Makes me loony as a toon!!! I just can't understand how that even slightly sounds/feels right in the brain!!

    Let us not forget the usage of the nonword "conversate". It falls within the myself/me category, to me. The word is "converse", people!!! My school teacher sister thinks "conversate" is a good word....that scares me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #16788
    FORT Fogey famita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,766

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    First, Queenb-Thank you for the snort and snorkle! I want to do lunch w/you sometime!

    I tend to make up words when the correct one doesn't come to mind. I do it to keep the conversation flowing, and people who know me keep it flowing back.

  9. #16789
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,130

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    ...Let us not forget the usage of the nonword "conversate". It falls within the myself/me category, to me. The word is "converse", people!!!
    It's likely a "Bush-ism" -- so, the following makes sense:
    (Reference: No Child Left Behind)
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My school teacher sister thinks "conversate" is a good word....that scares me!
    I can't be too disgusted: people like this keep me in business.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  10. #16790
    FORT Fogey GuardianAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Niagara Falls Canada
    Posts
    4,586

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Thanks Ellen. After I posted that, I left work for an hour. On the car radio, talk program, they were talking about misused words!

    The radio program reminded me what drives me insane, your you're and there their being used incorrectly.

    I really think over the years, with all the social media, twitter, f/book blackberry etc, people are actually forgetting how to spell correctly because of all the short forms they are using. Especially with twitter where you are limited to the number of letters. Crazy!

    R U going 2 the show 2night? Grrr

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.