+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4178754;
    Well, there's the food thread where the debate over with-beans vs. no-beans chili gets pretty heated... J/K -- I really enjoy how nice and relatively normal ('cuz "normal" is naught but a setting on your dryer) everyone here is, too!
    Oh my she brought up the chili being heated with or without beans debate...... J/K

Well one thing about here at the FORT versus OTHER sites, is that when John started it, people joined and became family. These wonderful people have seen me through a very rough time 4 years ago when Mona (my avatar) passed on and the outpouring of love and thoughts and prayers is always there for any of us who have problems. You will continue to like it here I hope.
    Last edited by just1paul; 02-04-2011 at 07:33 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4178875;
    I have something I can't seem to let go of, so maybe getting it off my chest here will help. Feel free to skip right over it.
    Early this week I was teaching class and two teachers who had prep periods stood outside my door talking REALLY LOUDLY. It brought my class to a halt. I waited a minute thinking they would move on and when they didn't, I jokingly said, "Maybe if I close the door they'll get a clue" and shut the door. Yesterday I was doing hall duty with two other colleagues and the younger teacher involved earlier walked past us and said, "I need to talk to you, mumble, mumble, mumble Didn't appreciate it". None of us heard what she said but it was apparently directed at me. So 5 minutes later she corners me in my room and goes off on me being so inappropriate in front of students. I honestly don't know what I did that was wrong, but I appologized 3 times during her onslaught and she just kept right on at me. She had been building up steam for 3 days since it happened. Seems to me if anyone was owed an appology it was me, but I try to get along and keep things on an even keel. I know she's going to hold this grudge for a looooong time and talk me down to other teachers, because that's how she is. Anyway.
    I'm pretty much one for letting things pass, but this situation could blow up on you. I'd wait a couple of days, let her cool down and then bring it up in front of other teachers. Start by asking her again to explain what was wrong the other day. Be very calm and assertive. Don't let her get under your skin and hold your ground. Let her come off like the nutter she sounds to be.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Gut I think it was rude of the teachers to talk loudly in the hallway. They did not set a good example for the students. We were always told to be quiet when walking down the hallway during classtime. She sounds like a troublemaker who is trying to undermine your relationship with the other teachers. I think I would ignore her if possible. If not, if you have a teachers handbook that points out to be quiet in the hallways, tell her to reread the handbook.

I agree gut there was no excuse for them to be talking loud like that. Bet she wouldn't have tolerated it had you been doing it outside hers. You're a lot nicer than I would have been I would have jumped right back down her throat.

It's snowing again here and I am sick of it.......go away snow and never come back.

Thanks for the support. It's just what I needed. She's out today and by Monday I'm sure I will have moved on.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4178890;
    Oh my she brought up the chili being heated with or without beans debate...... J/K

Well one thing about here at the FORT versus OTHER sites, is that when John started it, people joined and became family. These wonderful people have seen me through a very rough time 4 years ago when Mona (my avatar) passed on and the outpouring of love and thoughts and prayers is always there for any of us who have problems. You will continue to like it here I hope.

Well said just1paul.
    Everyone has been wonderful to me too. Y'all were very supportive when I lost my Duke. No one here, said to me...he was just a dog. There is no better place to find encouragement, support and free helpful advice. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4179453;
    Well said just1paul.
    Everyone has been wonderful to me too. Y'all were very supportive when I lost my Duke. No one here, said to me...he was just a dog. There is no better place to find encouragement, support and free helpful advice. Thanks!
    To me and many others here, there is NO SUCH THING as JUST A DOG, JUST A CAT, FERRET, FISH, GERBIL or whatever critter you have. They are family.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4179134;
    I agree gut there was no excuse for them to be talking loud like that. Bet she wouldn't have tolerated it had you been doing it outside hers. You're a lot nicer than I would have been I would have jumped right back down her throat.

It's snowing again here and I am sick of it.......go away snow and never come back.
    Me too--I would have never apologized, and God help if she tried to intimidate or 'corner' me. I wouldn't be any uglier than necessary, but I would have been very blunt in telling her WHY I closed the door, i.e that her voice is waaaaay too loud to be carry on a conversation right outside the door.
    Of course, I would have stuck my head out the door and asked them very politely to tone it down anyway, as it happened.
    Rule 1--be civilized, so that when/if they whine to the principal, you can truthfully repeat EXACTLY what you said, as well as call her on it when she lies.

Gutmutter, if she hasn't gotten over it and says anything else--channel me!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4178875;
    ...Early this week I was teaching class and two teachers who had prep periods stood outside my door talking REALLY LOUDLY. It brought my class to a halt. I waited a minute thinking they would move on and when they didn't, I jokingly said, "Maybe if I close the door they'll get a clue" and shut the door...
    Silly me -- I haven't done regular school/classroom teaching in a long time, but way back when I did, teaching class was more important than talking in a corridor, and teachers/staff kept their voices down in the hall as standard practice. So it was expected that if there was loud conversation in the corridor by anyone, a teacher would either (a) close the door, or (b) give a gentle reminder to those conversing in the halls to use their indoor voices.

I don't get where the loud-talking teacher is taking offense. Really, she and her conversation partner should be the ones apologizing to you and your class for being disruptive!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

A friend and I got in trouble just yesterday for that exact thing. We were in the hall talking and laughing, and we got too loud. One of the professors reached out to grab her door to shut it, and glared at us. I was really embarrassed and we both apologized. I wasn't mad at the professor for embarrassing me, I was embarrassed because I forgot my manners.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread