+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

I used to get about five free turkeys (spread throughout the year) from a company for whom I did not work. The person in charge of ordering the Christmas turkeys always ordered extras, and gave them out to some of the landowners and contractors with whom he worked (he is, among other things, property manager for a chemical plant.) I do most of his surveying, which I guess entitled me to one turkey, but he still always had extras. During the course of the year, whenever he had a job for me, would call and ask me if I'd like another turkey, and then spring the job on me. Sometimes, when the time came for ordering new turkeys, and he needed to get rid of last year's stock, he'd give me two or three, and a couple for my business partner. Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and when the company was sold, the new powers-that-be did away with Christmas turkeys.

For Thanksgiving, no matter how many frozen turkeys I have in the freezers, I always buy a fresh bird. I can never master the timing of thawing a bird just in time for the big day.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I used to get turkeys from one of my employers many years back. I didn't fix Thanksgiving dinner, I always went to my mom's house. So I'd donate the turkey to a local church or food bank. I knew I'd never cook it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Last year the place where my son works part time gave them a voucher for a 25 pound ham. He got me to go with him and the butcher gave him two separate boneless hams that totaled 25 pounds. We cooked one for Christmas and the other about two months later. They were very good. Free always is.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2135101;
    For all you people who are having a big group for dinner on T-Day, consider making job jars for the after dinner chores. This will help assure that nobody gets slammed being the kitchen slave, thus eliminating the need to complain about it later.
    *snort* I'm laughing out loud picturing how that would go over with my uncles and male cousins. They've never washed a holiday dish in their lives, and they think their "chore" is to go hold down the couch.
    It's a nice idea for more enlightened families, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Personally, I think they only get away with what everybody let's them get away with. We decided that that behavior was going to stop. And it did! Everybody got a job, and they didn't really mind.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shay, I like your idea. Everything would be put to order in record time and no one left exhausted. My brother in law would kill himself before he'd wash a dish, but that's okay. I don't much care for him anyway so no great loss.

My in-laws now live about 2000 miles away from me (which is a good thing!) Before they retired and moved away, they lived about half an hour away from us. They didn't do Thanksgiving with their kids.....they went out to a restaurant with their little group of friends Their thinking was that this way, their kids could spend Thanksgiving with their in-laws and then spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with THEM! I finally found my voice after 10 years (2 years of dating and 8 years of marriage) and said enough is enough, this year we are spending Christmas Day with my folks.

My hubby really is pretty good about all of this. If he isn't out deer hunting on Thanksgiving morning he will help me get things ready. He'll clean out the bird, help me with the stuffing, peel the potatoes etc. If he does go out hunting he will still do the spuds when he gets home! Then he will help me clean up the kitchen as we go along so it doesn't look like a disaster area when company arrives.

When people arrive they can dive into the appetizers while we are in and out of the kitchen getting things ready to serve. After dinner, HE goes into the kitchen and starts loading up the dishwasher and putting the leftovers away. He honestly wants me to just sit back, relax, and chat with everyone.

The way our house is set up, the TV in the family room cannot be viewed from the dining room. We do not have a TV in the formal living room which is where we all gather before and after dinner. I'm glad that lummoxes on the couch watching a football game has never been an issue here!

I think I got myself a keeper here. Now deer hunting....well, that's another issue altogether!
    Last edited by MamaC; 11-10-2006 at 02:17 AM. Reason: some typos!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2136119;
    My in-laws now live about 2000 miles away from me (which is a good thing!) Before they retired and moved away, they lived about half an hour away from us. They didn't do Thanksgiving with their kids.....they went out to a restaurant with their little group of friends Their thinking was that this way, their kids could spend Thanksgiving with their in-laws and then spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with THEM! I finally found my voice after 10 years (2 years of dating and 8 years of marriage) and said enough is enough, this year we are spending Christmas Day with my folks.

My hubby really is pretty good about all of this. If he isn't out deer hunting on Thanksgiving morning he will help me get things ready. He'll clean out the bird, help me with the stuffing, peel the potatoes etc. If he does go out hunting he will still do the spuds when he gets home! Then he will help me clean up the kitchen as we go along so it doesn't look like a disaster area when company arrives.

When people arrive they can dive into the appetizers while we are in and out of the kitchen getting things ready to serve. After dinner, HE goes into the kitchen and starts loading up the dishwasher and putting the leftovers away. He honestly wants me to just sit back, relax, and chat with everyone.

The way our house is set up, the TV in the family room cannot be viewed from the dining room. We do not have a TV in the formal living room which is where we all gather before and after dinner. I'm glad that lummoxes on the couch watching a football game has never been an issue here!

I think I got myself a keeper here. Now deer hunting....well, that's another issue altogether!

MamaC, sounds like we are both lucky as my husband has always helped both before, during and after on Thanksgiving. But I am not above assigning chores and I don't do it with a job jar either. My family doesn't call me the drill instructor for nothing.

Actually, what I do and it wasn't that I planned it, but someone walks by and I say: Here, take this bag of trash outside to the can. You, grab that foil and wrap up the leftover turkey. Hey, can you hand me those dishes off the table? And lo and behold, they DO it! But we have had many couch sitters in the past.

I have HATED going to my cousins for holidays or them coming to my house because her husband and son do not ever turn off the tv. I hate that. Especially when they did it at my house! I don't often get to see these people and I want to visit and to me having the tv on is not visiting.

Since my husband and I got married (almost 18 years), we always turn off the tv during any meal (sometimes we do eat in the family room on trays watching football or a movie, but not often) because we both grew up with our dads watching the evening news while we ate and we weren't allowed to make a sound because then they couldn't hear the tv. When we got together it was funny that both of us had had that experience and said we wouldn't do it and we don't. We have conversation with our dinners and so it goes on holidays too. I have even hidden the remote on occasions and put on low music.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I gotta say, I have never had company for dinner, family or otherwise, that didn't at least ask if they could help with cleanup. Both sides of my family just jump in. My husband is great about helping, too.

My first T-giving with my husband, I got up early to prepare the turkey. The giblet bag came out easily, but it still was slightly frozen deep in the body cavity and I had to wrestle the neck to get it out. So I'm tugging and tugging. I look up just as the neck came loose to see my husband watching me, so I yanked the neck out, held it up and crowed: "It's a boy!"
    He got this puzzled expression, looked at the turkey and asked "How can you tell?"
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2136289;
    so I yanked the neck out, held it up and crowed: "It's a boy!"
    He got this puzzled expression, looked at the turkey and asked "How can you tell?"

That is PRICELESS!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread