+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5917Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thanks ECmom. I just went to hippieshop.com and did some shopping.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4163896;
    Thanks ECmom. I just went to hippieshop.com and did some shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4162810;
    You win!

I've never heard flip flops called anything else except on advertisements, but this discussion got me thinking. Does anyone else of us old folks remember back in the mid 70's when you could get those tatami mat flip flops (with the velveteen straps, of course) They were big and squarish and it's a wonder people didn't step all over them and fall. All the hippie-ish kids wore them.
    Oh, ok--I'll post a pic for you younguns.

I forgot about these. Of course I had some growing up on the beach in Southern California. Loved them. Mine were dark blue velvet. They did take some work breaking in, but they were wonderful after that. You had to establish the right and left shoes, after all. I used to wear them with my low cut flared jeans held up with a macrame belt...

Like totally, is everyone

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4162810;
    You win!

I've never heard flip flops called anything else except on advertisements, but this discussion got me thinking. Does anyone else of us old folks remember back in the mid 70's when you could get those tatami mat flip flops (with the velveteen straps, of course) They were big and squarish and it's a wonder people didn't step all over them and fall. All the hippie-ish kids wore them.
    Oh, ok--I'll post a pic for you younguns.

I had those. We bought them for about $1 at McCrory's dime store.

ECMom, I have some of those sandals now. I got them at the Kino Factory several years ago in Key West, Florida. They are online, but the prices online are double what the factory prices are. Mine ARE braided.

Back in early Nov. I bought a pair of clogs. The reason I bought them? They looked almost EXACTLY like a pair I had in 1980 as a freshman in college. I loved those shoes and have thought about them in the esuing years, so when I saw these in Payless, I HAD to buy them. And I've worn them a bunch! They make me feel young again (and tall, they are platform clogs. )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Buffalo sandals were my favorite. Everyone had a pair! I still remember how upset I was when I lost mine on a canoeing trip. I guess I need to check out the hippie shop too.

MRD - I used to love my clogs. I had platform shoes too. I don't know how I managed to not fall off them and break my leg, but I managed. I loved them because they made me so tall. Being only 5'2", I need all the help I can get!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

When I was growing up we called them thongs, but that was well before the days of girls wearing panties called thongs. If you call the shoes thongs now that isn't the connotation people immediately think of.

Okay, okay, the Buffalo Sandal thing got me!

About 6 years ago, I was at DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) and saw a pair of Coconuts by Matisse sandals in that design, but they're denim-ish and beaded (they have an Persian look). They're wearing out, sadly, and I only wish I'd bought two pairs, (a pair and a spare). Everywhere I go, I get compliments on them, and I mean "everywhere" -- once my OB/GYN (a man) even made the comment, "Those are cool, all you need are cymbals" (this is while my feet were in the stirrups, mind you)

Anyway, those are THE most comfortable shoes I've ever worn in my life, and I only wish the style would return in a more widespread way.

Go Buffalo!
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

Heh! Those things everyone is calling buffalo sandals we called Jesus boots. And I never found them comfortable - even as a teen I needed arch support.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4164666;
    Heh! Those things everyone is calling buffalo sandals we called Jesus boots. And I never found them comfortable - even as a teen I needed arch support.
    I'm convinced that most of my back problems stem from YEARS of wearing indian moccassins (no souls, just the thin leather between my foot and the ground), those mat looking flip flops, Zorrie flipflops and then 3 years of only wearing white ballet slippers EVERYWHERE I went when I was 20-23. Then HIGH heels for years after that and then back to cheap sandals for a few more years. So bascially 40 something years of NO foot support. WEll, I did wear corrective shoes until I was 6 years old. Maybe that's why I never wore anything else that was good for me.

And about the moccasins and ballet slippers? I thought they made me look cool and different because no one else was dressing like that. I wore both until a hole appeared and then bought a new pair exactly like the old pair.

And to make it worse? I put ballet slippers on my daughter when she started walking. I used to decorate them with ribbon and ribbon roses and pearl looking geegaws. And I got TONS of compliments on them and they did look cute, but I probably screwed up her feet the first 3 years of her life.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread