+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4162326;
    So do any of you have names for these sandals? Any other names that you call them? Just curious. Anyone else call them go-aheads? As an adult, I never call them that and don't hear anyone using that term. I guess they are called that because you can't walk backwards in them without walking out of them
    Here in So Cal, I call them my "everyday shoes." ......always a pair by the front door. Never heard them called go-aheads but that's a great name, usually it's just thongs or flip flops. Back in the early '60's, during the surfing craze, they were called zorries here also.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4160634;
    Georgia doesn't have Spanish moss either, until you get to the coast, or else nearlly to Florida, 'the moss' begins about 250 miles south of Atlanta. But everyone thinks its all over. I've also been asked "Isn't Georgia all swampy" and told "I know you aren't used to this weather", when it's maybe 40 degrees somewhere. I've also had people be totally shocked when I tell them we have mountains, even though they aren't as big as the Rockies, and that we actually have some water cold enough for trout running right through Atlanta. But I also tell them, if they ever wanted to visit here, do it between the middle of March and the first week of June, or else the middle of September to mid November, if they want to be comfortable outside. Summer is horrible and winter is...well, you just never know what you might get.

While I'm snickering about what people think about our state, might as well think it's funny that some people seem to think there aren't many paved roads outside Atlanta or off the interstate, and that most people here live in cabins or mobile homes with a pack of hound dogs laying out in the yard.
    Let me tell 'em about the paved roads. After 6 trips through Georgia last year and having to go through road construction almost the whole way, I can attest, there are paved roads and they're paving more.

I was surprised when we visited Vermont that there really are NOT a lot of paved roads there.

Well, you know Florida is ONLY Disney and Miami beach and nothing else.

People are surprised to know that Florida produces cattle. At one time (before Texas became a state, it was the number one cattle producting state and even when I was a child it was in the top 3.) But in the last 20 years the land has proven more profitable for housing developments, but it still produces a lot of cattle.

I had someone ask me here when I gave that "History of Southern Cooking" if they ate Southern Food in Florida.

People just get a small amount of information about a state and assume the entire state is that way.

Cootie, we call them go-aheads too. Dragonlady, I haven't heard "zorries" since I was in highschool about 35 years ago.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

People just get a small amount of information about a state and assume the entire state is that way.
    I grew up in Minnesota and I had someone from Kansas ask me what we did all the way "up there in the woods." I was just a kid at the time and said, "pretty much what you do down here I guess." Then he said that we probably swim a lot, because of all the lakes. I lived in the southeast corner of the state and the closest place to swim was a swimming pool in a town about 25 miles away. He thought Minnesota was all woods and lakes.

I was out east once (Washington DC) and had someone ask me where I was from. When I said, Iowa, she replied in a condescending tone, "We pronounce it Ohio out here!" That was one of the few times in my life that I have actually been speechless!!

Cootie - I grew up calling them thongs, but everyone around here calls them flip-flops now. I've never heard them called go-aheads or zorries.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I grew up calling them "thongs" as well, but everyone calls them flip-flops now. My friend went to Turkey a few years ago, and she said they call them "shub-shubs" which I thought was adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4162714;
    I was out east once (Washington DC) and had someone ask me where I was from. When I said, Iowa, she replied in a condescending tone, "We pronounce it Ohio out here!" That was one of the few times in my life that I have actually been speechless!!
    You win!

I've never heard flip flops called anything else except on advertisements, but this discussion got me thinking. Does anyone else of us old folks remember back in the mid 70's when you could get those tatami mat flip flops (with the velveteen straps, of course) They were big and squarish and it's a wonder people didn't step all over them and fall. All the hippie-ish kids wore them.
    Oh, ok--I'll post a pic for you younguns.

I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

OMG - I LOVED those. Once they were broken in, they were wicked comfortable. I bet I could still find them in the hip town of Amherst if I looked.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I remember those queenb... and loved them.
    We called them flip-flops or slides.
    My older sister came home from college wearing a pair of Dr. Scholl's and I had to have a pair of those. She could make them slap on her feet... Mine would just fall off my feet and hurt my heel.

Plants are called by different names in different parts of the country. I experienced that when I would go on Landscape calls. It could get confusing and sometimes funny.... You know that plant... its green in the summer with pink flowers and....my grandmother had a plant that was purple with thorns ...

Back in the 70's my favorite sandals were buffalo sandals.

They were a flat piece of leather for the sole, with a decorated leather strap across the top, a loop for the big toe and a few strands of leather lacing connecting the two. The best part was if you got them wet and then wore them until they dried out, they molded to your feet. It was almost like walking barefoot with shoes on!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;4163353;
    Back in the 70's my favorite sandals were buffalo sandals.

They were a flat piece of leather for the sole, with a decorated leather strap across the top, a loop for the big toe and a few strands of leather lacing connecting the two. The best part was if you got them wet and then wore them until they dried out, they molded to your feet. It was almost like walking barefoot with shoes on!!!

Geez, we're all dating ourselves. We called flip flops "thongs" back in the day but now everyone around these parts call them flip flops.

veejeer, I loved my Buffalo sandals back in the day. Wore them all the time. Gee, they were so comfortable. Are these what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4163842;
    Geez, we're all dating ourselves. We called flip flops "thongs" back in the day but now everyone around these parts call them flip flops.

veejeer, I loved my Buffalo sandals back in the day. Wore them all the time. Gee, they were so comfortable. Are these what you mean?
    Almost!!! On the ones that I had, the thin part between the cross strap and the toe strap was thinner, just a bit of leather lacing. It might have been twisted or braided. Thanks for finding a picture. Do they still sell them?

I graduated from high school in 1978. You can do the math!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

+ Reply to Thread