+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5785Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4159014;
    Yup -- regional/cultural nomenclature.
    Of course, I go completely "heretical" and eliminate the "pigs" from "pigs in a blanket" by making gołumbki with a lean ground turkey and mushroom mixture. And I'm working on a vegetarian version with white beans and quinoa.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I make "deconstructed" stuffed green peppers. So much easier than stuffing them lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4157514;
    MRD, you wouldn't believe how many people I've run into in other places who think it's HOT here all year round. I think they see too many Spanish-moss-and-magnolias movies, which are never set in any season but summer. (Of course that area is 300 miles southj of us anyway). So I bet your guests expected to come down and sit under the above mentioned trees, sipping on something cold and fanning themselves.
    Those are the same people that go to Florida this time of year and get upset that it's cold and it rains. "This is supposed to be the Sunshine State".

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I go somewhere, I will look at their weather the week or so before I pack and pack accordingly.

If they want tropical sunshine and warm weather then they need to go to Cancun or the Carribbean, because it can be cold and rainy in Florida in the winter. It gets the same cold fronts the rest of the country gets, it just doesn't get AS cold and the snow is rain down there.

But again, if you're going to travel, then check the weather at your destination so you won't be disappointed or unprepared.

Oh and we don't have moss here, got to get east toward the coast for the moss draped oaks.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Georgia doesn't have Spanish moss either, until you get to the coast, or else nearlly to Florida, 'the moss' begins about 250 miles south of Atlanta. But everyone thinks its all over. I've also been asked "Isn't Georgia all swampy" and told "I know you aren't used to this weather", when it's maybe 40 degrees somewhere. I've also had people be totally shocked when I tell them we have mountains, even though they aren't as big as the Rockies, and that we actually have some water cold enough for trout running right through Atlanta. But I also tell them, if they ever wanted to visit here, do it between the middle of March and the first week of June, or else the middle of September to mid November, if they want to be comfortable outside. Summer is horrible and winter is...well, you just never know what you might get.

While I'm snickering about what people think about our state, might as well think it's funny that some people seem to think there aren't many paved roads outside Atlanta or off the interstate, and that most people here live in cabins or mobile homes with a pack of hound dogs laying out in the yard.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

brings to mind "Deliverance", doesn't it?

ah well. We get those visitors here in Kansas who are shocked, SHOCKED! I tell you that we have hills here. and there aren't tornados every day or so. And the old saying "we aren't in Kansas anymore!" we've all heard it and it was boring then and its still boring.... lol
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Please don't do it Ted.

'Golden Voice' Ted Williams Leaves Rehab | TMZ.com

'Golden Voice' Ted Williams Bails on Rehab

1/24/2011 12:00 PM PST by TMZ Staff

Ted Williams -- the homeless man with the "Golden Voice" -- has left rehab against medical advice, less than two weeks after checking in for drug and alcohol dependency ... TMZ has learned.

Our sources say Ted -- who decided to go to rehab earlier this month after a taping of the Dr. Phil show -- left the Origins Recovery Center in South Texas moments ago and is on his way to the airport.

Ted's girlfriend is currently in rehab at the Safe Harbor facility in Costa Mesa, California.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This does not surprise me. And that is sad. He's going to end up back where he was, and I'm pretty sure his girlfriend is going with him.

Unfortunately, what we've seen is that anytime this man's mouth is moving, he is lying. And he's hurting no one except himself.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-24-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was driving home from a meeting in the Willamette Valley the other day. It was a beautiful sunny day, which is so unusual for Oregon at this time of year. I was thinking about many of you who post on this portion of FORT...then my mind drifted and for some reason I started thinking about shoes that I never wear in the winter. In my childhood, we called them "go-aheads" - have you heard that term? Then we called them something like zorris? Other names for these shoes are "flip-flops", "thongs" and in Hawaii we call them da kine "slippers"! I came home and found the FORT conversation about "pigs in a blanket", which like Ellen, means Crescent rolls with vienna sausages on the west coast. That was quite interesting!

So do any of you have names for these sandals? Any other names that you call them? Just curious. Anyone else call them go-aheads? As an adult, I never call them that and don't hear anyone using that term. I guess they are called that because you can't walk backwards in them without walking out of them

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4162326;
    ...So do any of you have names for these sandals? Any other names that you call them? Just curious. Anyone else call them go-aheads? As an adult, I never call them that and don't hear anyone using that term. I guess they are called that because you can't walk backwards in them without walking out of them
    I LOVE the name "go aheads," but this is the first I've seen that term used.

When I was growing up in Wisconsin, my family called them "thongs." My grandparents, though, as well as other relatives of their generation, called them "tongs," because with their Polish accent, they couldn't say the "th" sounds [θ, ] to save their lives.

Another family -- friends of my parents (who I think also were native 'Sconsinites) -- called them "zorries"; they were the only ones from whom I'd heard that.

In college (UW-Milwaukee), we called them "flip-flops," and in San Diego we call them "flip-flops."

And in Hawai'i, I heard everyone call 'em "slippahs."
    Last edited by Ellen; 01-25-2011 at 01:37 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread