+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We've got some snow here, and I did not clean off my porch, since I come and go from the rear of the house. I see the mailman's feet, bird feet, either a cat's feet or small dog's feet....and today I saw HUGE paw prints like a HUGE dog's feet! I've seldom seen loose animals in my neighborhood, much less on my porch. WTH?? I guess you just never know what's prowling around out there when you're not looking.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Coyotes?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't live where coyotes would roam. Would have heard about that by now. I do live where some big dogs might get out of their yards....like across the street from a couple of them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4146837;
    I have a story that I'm still trying to wrap my mind around. I live in the town where I teach, but I'm not a native, so don't know backgrounds and relationships of my students. 7 or 8 years ago I had a student who marched to the beat of her own drum. She was so cool she didn't fit in with the middle school cliques and spent a lot of time in my room when I had my prep. We talked a lot and I helped her know that she was fine just the way she was. Fast forward 3 years. She dropped out of school to have a baby and then was killed in a car accident along with her mom. Her 6-month old son was also in the car in a baby seat and survived. Her father was raising the child. At the time, I really hoped that there was some way I could connect with the boy and let him know how special his mom was. Yesterday we had a big snow storm and my neighbor across the way once again used his snow-blower to clear my long driveway. Later in the day I was visiting with my elderly neighbor to make sure she was ok and was telling her about how nice the other neighbor was, and she told me he is the father of that student raising the boy, who is now 4. Did you just get goosebumps? I sure did! I've met the boy a couple of times, but thought he was just visiting. How amazing that I was so drawn to this house. I have a video I did for grad school about my middle school with a lot of footage of that student on it. Is there a way to transfer video to DVD?
    That is so cool! Seems like that house was meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4148258;
    Coyotes?
    I saw a really beautiful coyote walking on the sidewalk just down the hill from my apartment. I was in my car. I wonder how beautiful it would have seemed had I been on foot...
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We live on an acreage outside of town and we hear the coyotes howling all the time. Sometimes we will get to see a little red fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4147391;
    I'm sure this is true of all of you. I'm not special in any way.
    To clarify, I don't think the father of the boy is in the picture. The family across the street from me is a boy and his grandfather. The boy's mother - the grandfather's daughter - was my student.
    Thanks for clarifying.

I hope you will please let us know how it goes.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I discovered the connection Weds., Thurs. I had an out of town mammogram (all clear!), Friday I worked all day, then had my Little Sister and a wine tasting. So I haven't had the opportunity to act. I also want to make sure I don't bowl them over with what is probably still a very sensitive hole in their lives. I've got a 3-day weekend now, so will have my daughter make something delicious for them to take over as an ice-breaker. The neighbor said there were a lot of people in the neighborhood helping to care for the boy when he was a baby, so it would be a natural extension of that for me to offer my services as a babysitter if he ever needs that. I'm thinking that spring and summer will be a more natural time to get to know him, since I garden a lot and will be outdoors. I tend to have kids' toys around (I never grew up) and just happen to have big yellow construction-type trucks in my yard now that I got in yard sales (Tonka-type).
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Shay, I was amazed on Tuesday morning to see all the tracks in my yard that appeared overnight. I know the dogs love being let out first thing every morning to sniff the entire yard and I figured we had nighttime visitors, I just never realized how many.

St. Petersburg Florida which is in a HUGELY metropolitan area is having a problem with coyotes and they tend to attack pets as there is no other food supply for them. The issue is that their natural habitat has disappeared to development, so they have adapted as best they can to city living.

We've been told that there are coyotes here, but I have yet to hear or see one. I have seen deer and wild turkeys in our yard. I seldom see racoons here yet used to see them in the city raiding garbage cans all the time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

As an early morning window watcher, I've seen racoons and rabbits but only when it is still dark out and I don't have any lights on inside. No coyote or fox sightings yet.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread