+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7227Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Does your family/friends make arrangements who will be hosting and cooking, who will do the traveling, etc., in advance and I mean, like a month or so in advance? Sometimes more if people are flying?
    Generally we use not to celebrate Thanksgiving, since we are from the UK. One year I spent it with message board friends...each year it is just totally random.

My Mum married an American a little over a year ago so we are doing this whole huge thing this year. I am going to be there are both my brothers, nephews and my SIL. My step-sister and her four kids are coming. My step-dad's mom and step dad are coming. Since my Mum isn't cooking she is all for it

I think I am going to be living in one insane house for a week.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2131346;
    We always have Thanksgiving at my aunts. She has the biggest house and an indoor pool.
    Ummm, dags, ya think your aunt would mind a crasher? An indoor pool sounds lovely. I'll bring sweet potatoes, since that's the one Thanksgiving thing I do every year: buy 50 lbs of Louisiana-grown sweet potatoes from the LSU ag school and keep half and send half to friends & relatives around the country. The post office loves me, and we've got sweet potatoes for the year for a whole variety of applications.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs;2131639;
    Generally we use not to celebrate Thanksgiving, since we are from the UK. One year I spent it with message board friends...each year it is just totally random.

My Mum married an American a little over a year ago so we are doing this whole huge thing this year. I am going to be there are both my brothers, nephews and my SIL. My step-sister and her four kids are coming. My step-dad's mom and step dad are coming. Since my Mum isn't cooking she is all for it

I think I am going to be living in one insane house for a week.
    JLuvs, sounds like a lot of fun. I would gladly trade houses with you. I really miss the holidays where it was insane and a house full of people. My parents always hosted and they had a huge house, so my sister would be there with her 3 kids, her husband and his mother and my brother with his wife and daughter and there were usually a stray cousin or aunt and some friends and the wine would be flowing and everyone having fun, watching football, laughing, eating.

We used to just laugh ourselves silly at my sister's MIL. My sister is very devout Church of the Brethern. She has never drank or smoked and her husband either. His mom used to arrive with a thermous of "coffee" which we later found out had so much brandy in it that it was more like brandy with a drop of coffee. And she smoked and other family members smoked, so the porch would be crowded with the smokers and the MIL would get so happy and my sister (clueless queen) would always say: She's never this happy when we're around her at home. And the rest of us would just laugh and laugh because we knew what was in the thermous and MIL thought everyone was fooled. That's what was so funny.

I'll never forget the year I was pregnant with my daughter and we had a house FULL and I got backed up against the fridge by the MIL and another elderly family member (both had been imbibing) and they kept going on and on about how beautiful my skin was and how lucky I was so have such beautiful skin. "look you can't see any pores at all". I was being fumigated by alcohol breath and couldn't get away from either as I was literally backed against the refrigerator. And so after that year the rest of the family would tease me that I was going to get the "beautiful skin" speech again.

Aw, family memories, family holidays can be so much fun even if its just 3 or 30.

At least we had happy drinkers in our house and no one got falling down or word slurring drunk. Just happy.

When I was in highschool my brother and his wife smoked pot and my mom had told my SIL who is outrageous anyway (in a good way most of the time) that there would be no pot smoking "on the premises". Well, there were a couple of my friends over and my SIL finds out that one of them has pot, so they go stand in the street outside my parents house (in full daylight and we had neighbors too) and she comes back in (you had to step down a step into our kitchen and family room from the living room) and stands on the step and yells at the top of her lungs: "WE'VE BEEN OFF THE PREMISES!!!!!"
    I thought my mom would faint right then and there. That was definetly a holiday I'll never forget.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'm in the process of changing out my incandescent light bulbs for fluorescent ones when I find out that the fluorescents can't be used with dimmer switches. Now I'm considering getting rid of most of my dimmers. Has anyone else had experience with this? And, if you have, is there anything else I need to consider?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2131900;
    I'm in the process of changing out my incandescent light bulbs for fluorescent ones when I find out that the fluorescents can't be used with dimmer switches. Now I'm considering getting rid of most of my dimmers. Has anyone else had experience with this? And, if you have, is there anything else I need to consider?
    There are actually dimmable fluorescents available - we use them in our den. They are about twice the price, though, and somewhat difficult to find. We got ours at Rona, which is the Canadian equivalent to Home Depot, but couldn't find them at Home Depot (which we also have up here).

If your rationale for using dimmers in the first place was to save energy, then you'll make the savings on the fluorescents anyway. We replaced all our incandescents years ago and actually did notice a difference in the electric bill.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We've just started doing that here too....changing incandescent over to flourescent light bulbs. It'll be interesting to see what our next bill looks like.

We have flourescent bulbs but I don't know that it made any difference in our utility bills. I just like them because they are brighter.

I just saw a lady on tv with a moustache and it remided me of something. We were getting gas the other day and some woman was blocking our way. I later asked my husband if he noticed that the woman in the car was tweezing her chin whiskers and he emphatically said "oh, GAWD yes". I cracked up at his reaction

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2131636;
    Muduh, I agree with you 100%! Your sanity is more important. My sister used to tell me I was adopted......
    You and I have the same sister?

MRD, I was laughing so hard at your family stories.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

My biggest disappointment in life was finding out that I wasn't adopted.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2132177;
    My biggest disappointment in life was finding out that I wasn't adopted.
    Mine too
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread