+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I love all your feedback! No spouses, not many drinkers (some don't drink, some don't live nearby and will have to drive, and it will only be 2:30 after all, but there will be drinks available). We see each other every day. I hope you're wrong that they'll stay 'til 6 or later, but good to know that's a possibility. I'm just worried they'll come, fill up a plate and look and me and say, "And?".
    Count your blessings!

Hey everyone I need some parenting advice! lol

My daughter who is almost 17 and is a great girl. She works a lot, is saving her paychecks and her grades are pretty good. She is also in the "elite" choral group at school. Has a lot of friends and is pretty level headed. She is the one her friends go to for advice. We have a great relationship. While I know she doesn't tell me everything little thing that goes on in her life I am ok with that. As long as the basics and big stuff are covered. I have a lot of trust in her.

Something I would call "big stuff" happened last night and this is where I need advice on how to talk to her about it. Her best friend since preschool, Sammie has started drinking and partying. Sammie is the LAST person I would've expected this from. Her mother called me last night and told me that this has been going on. She is fairly sure my daughter isn't doing this...and I would be surprised if she were. However just from some tiny comments my girl has made I'm thinking this has been on her mind and is becoming somewhat more accepting of this behavior which of course is unacceptable.

So how do I start this conversation with my daughter? and get her to open up?
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

You asked, so this is how I would handle it if it were my child... X's mother has told me she's drinking. I know she's a good friend of yours and I don't think you're drinking, but I want to be clear what our expectations are for you... (etc.) Then I would add that if she should succumb to peer pressure and find herself in a drinking situation, she must PROMISE that she will never drive if she's been drinking or get in a car with a driver who's been drinking. Tell her you will come and get her any time day or night, no questions asked if she calls for a ride. I also made it a point to NEVER drink even one glass of wine if I was going to be driving one of my kids somewhere. If I was sure I didn't have to drive, I would pointedly ask, saying I was going to have a glass of wine, but wanted to be sure nobody needed a ride first. A little heavy handed, maybe, but it made a clear impression. You might also ask her how she feels about her friend drinking. Since the girl's mom brought it up, you're not asking her to rat on her friend.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4130715;
    I hope you're wrong that they'll stay 'til 6 or later, but good to know that's a possibility.
    I didn't mean everyone, but probably at least one; then again you talk faster upthere so maybe 5:30. I mean, if you spend 30 minutes actually eating, shouldn't there be 2.5 hours of B-essing? Then again, I live in the South, and it's an artform here.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4128978;
    MMartini! I read posts on this site for years before I posted due to web shyness. Thanks for posting here!

Buglover, you and Victor continue to be an inspiration to me. I am holding you close in my thoughts and hope this treatment is amazingly successful. It is so great to hear about the support of your coworkers, too!
    Thank you all for the welcome! Whew that first post is hard. I live in northern Minnesota and we are having a snow day. My daughter and I are going snow shoeing on the lake today. I am one of those nuts who love snow and am enjoying my winter wonderland. If I could post pictures I would. Wishing all you wonderful Forters a Merry Christmas!

Thank you MMartini - I hope you stick around. The Fun and Games thread is a fun place to get aquainted, too. If you're a reader - check out the Books thread, if you're a foodie... well please join us there. Something for everyone.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4130785;
    I didn't mean everyone, but probably at least one; then again you talk faster upthere so maybe 5:30. I mean, if you spend 30 minutes actually eating, shouldn't there be 2.5 hours of B-essing? Then again, I live in the South, and it's an artform here.

I wouldn't worry. Most of the conversation is going to revolve around Christmas "are you ready or not", what they are doing during the break, work, etc.

It will be a success with great food and conversation.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Got a flu shot today. It hurt a whole lot worse than any of the others ever have! The technician drew blood first, and that was a lot more pleasurable! Anybody else who's had a flu shot noticed a difference?

(And I like playing Taboo with a group of people! Talk about cracking up! )
    Last edited by prhoshay; 12-21-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had a flu shot back in October I think, but I don't remember it hurting any more than any other shot does.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

My flu shot seemed normal at the time, but 2 days later the lymph nodes in my armpit on that side swelled up and were painful.

One of the teachers on my team is absent today, and one has "other obligations". The team suggested I invite the computer teacher who isn't technically on our team, but teaches 5th and 6th graders during our block, so I left an invite on her desk. They also suggested I invite another teacher I'm friends with who is a pariah on her team. I was touched because I know my team doesn't care much for her either. I'll let you know how it goes. I called my daughter and everything is on schedule.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread