+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5654Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD, congrats and so glad all your hard work paid off and so glad to see you back with your hubby!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Our wedding day was a hot, sunny day in August. We've been married for over 50 years, so maybe Eastcoastmom is right, and marriage is what you make of it.

Wow, 50 years!!
    I'm impressed.
    Kudo to you and your hubby!!
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Beautiful picture, MRD.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Great picture, mrd! You all look lovely. Your daughter's hair really beautiful, did she do it herself or did a cosmetology student friend do it for her?

Time for help from my friends here at FORT (you never fail me). I'm giving a party for my team of teachers (8 including me) after school today (2:30). My daughter is catering it with lots of food. She seemed to think I needed party games. I was just thinking we'd shoot the breeze and unwind before Christmas vacation. We never seem to run out of things to talk about at work. I'm not a real party person - I don't go to parties if I can help it and I haven't given a party other than my kids' birthday and graduation parties since I was in college. I honestly can't imagine the two male teachers wanting to participate in games. I have no idea how long people are likely to stay. Most of them have not seen my new house, so there's artwork to discuss, including a mind-blowing "Hobbit Box" my dad made with every surface inside and out carved with scenes from the Lord of the Rings books with secret compartments and sliding walls, etc. I have two "If" books - filled with questions that start with "If" (If you could eat a meal prepared by any famous chef, who would prepare it?). I could have them at hand in case there's a lull. So what do you think? Games? (If so, what?) No games? How long do you think people will stay? Christmas music on in the background? Ask the music teacher to play Christmas carols and sing around the piano? I just don't know. I hope guys will respond to this, too. What are your party requirements? All the chairs in one room vs. some chairs in each of the two living rooms?
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 12-21-2010 at 05:54 AM.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Gut - Sounds to me like you should stick to your original idea of just conversation. I don't go to parties much but the last one I went to it was mostly "talk" and food. A lot of the people didn't know each other, so it was a chance to get to know friends of the honoree (it was a 70th birthday party). The last party I gave, which was a long time ago, was just conversation and went on for eight hours.

I had chairs in two different areas of the house, since I have a split level house and could not fit everyone in one area. People drifted back and forth, especially to get food and drink which was in the dining room.

I think you can "play it by ear" and feel out how things are going. Use your good judgment!! Hope this is helpful, and ENJOY!!!!!

MRD

I know it's too late, but.......... I HATE PARTY GAMES AND NEVER USUALLY PLAY THEM. Gah, they are usually excruciating.

Conversation for a party. I do like the music teacher playing the piano tho. That would be fun.

Hope it went well.

BT, she did her own hair and those are extensions. She put them in herself. And she did my hair and the maid of honor's hair as well.

Thanks all. It was a very beautiful meaningful wedding and we had just the people we wanted there and not a huge amount of people we barely knew.
    I think the final count was around 30.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You're not too late... the party is today at 2:30 so I'm still hoping for more opinions/suggestions. How long do you think teachers will stay after school the day before vacation?
    Count your blessings!

You're feeding them, Gutmutter, soI'd look for some to be there tii 6 or 6:30 at any rate. If any alcohol is involved, make it 8 at minimum
    I would not automatically expect your new decor to be a big conversation starter, though. Not trying to hurt your feelings-but.You know I would love it and could go on and on, but I always am kind of surprised when I have my creations at various events; about 35% of people are not even going to NOTICE my items even if I'm sitting right there front and center making one! Don't let it hurt your feelings get hurt if people come in and say "I like what you've done" or ""cute house' and that's IT. I recently had radically different floors put in, painted the kitchen a different color, installed cool bubble tile, etc. and after my niece cat-sat for 3 days, I called to see if she liked it and she said -boom- "I didn't notice"
    I think the 'if' books could be fun, if needed. Since everyone knows each other, i don't think games are necessary. If there are dates, spouses, dates etc. involved, I think activities are fun but need not be elaborate. That way if all is going well it's no big deal if they aren't needed. Personally, I don't mind them if they are anything that causes laughter. Then again,if any booze is involved "Who can make the stupidest/weirdest face" is hilarious to me, now that we have digital cameras; the females in my family ( my only party group, and it rarely happens)will do this until we are crying and can't breathe. We're also fond of "bring a truly funny/weird gift, $5 maximum" and so forth. If the 2 men leave earlier, and your guests aren't too straight laced, turn on some music you can dance around to and act like fools--heck, have the music teacher play "Turkey in the Straw"or put "Baby Got Back" on the ipod...I guess this boils down to
    1) are these actual friends or just colleagues? If it's the latter, forget all my suggestions, immediately!
    2) How long do you WANT them to be there? if it's only for a couple of hours, just don't worry about it-discuss any light topics and feed them a lot.

Sorry, I know I'm not much help. But if I lived up that way, you could hire me as a court jester. Will work for cheese and cookies.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread