+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5671Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Beer bread was the first think I ever learned to cook on my own and I used to love it. I wonder if I still have the recipe somewhere. It involved self-rising flour, a can of warm beer, sugar... not much else that I recall. I'll let you know if I find it. It was very good.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4125853;
    What's beer bread? Is it just what it sounds like? Is it like a sourdough in some way?
    It's a super-easy quick bread that can be doctored up in all sorts of ways.
    Here's the basic recipe:
    Ingredients
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    (I prefer 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour & 1 cup all-purpose)
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    (I prefer 3 tablespoons honey)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 bottle of beer
    (It's fun to experiment with different kinds)

Directions
    Heat oven to 350F.
    In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and make a "well" in the center. Pour in the honey (if using honey instead of sugar), olive oil, and beer. Mix with a wooden spoon until just blended. The batter will be sticky. Pour into a parchment-lined 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan. Bake at 350F for 50 or 60 minutes. (The toothpick test works for checking doneness.) The top will be crunchy and the insides will be soft.

Sometimes before popping it into the oven, I like to sprinkle parmesan and/or sunflower seeds on top.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4125167;
    Ok, where is winter??!!???!! It is 87 degrees here and I'm sweating my butt off! All of my summer clothes are put away so now I have to try to find something light to wear..
    I would gladly trade you! Yesterday we were sitting at -35C/F to -40C/F with the windchill factored in! Coupled with snow!

Tonight/tomorrow they're predicting 0C/32F with freezing rain/snow. Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;4125167;
    Ok, where is winter??!!???!! It is 87 degrees here and I'm sweating my butt off! All of my summer clothes are put away so now I have to try to find something light to wear..
    Can it be possible that this weather will stick around for the next few weeks? I am heading to Southern California for Christmas. Can't wait. I need a little sunshine and a blue sky fix...I have seen the sun peak out just a few short times in the last few weeks. Need some sun!!!! Guess I will pack my summer clothes just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4126109;
    Can it be possible that this weather will stick around for the next few weeks? I am heading to Southern California for Christmas. Can't wait. I need a little sunshine and a blue sky fix...I have seen the sun peak out just a few short times in the last few weeks. Need some sun!!!! Guess I will pack my summer clothes just in case.
    I hope so! In San Diego (at the coast) you can generally count on mid-60s as a rule, with a drizzly night or morning here and there. And, like this week, every so often a Santa Ana (or "Sorta Ana") that brings the 70s & 80s. Definitely pack summer clothes, but you'll need a sweater or light jacket for after sunset and early mornings.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4126112;
    I hope so! In San Diego (at the coast) you can generally count on mid-60s as a rule, with a drizzly night or morning here and there. And, like this week, every so often a Santa Ana (or "Sorta Ana") that brings the 70s & 80s. Definitely pack summer clothes, but you'll need a sweater or light jacket for after sunset and early mornings.
    No problem packing the wool or warm clothes as we are leaving the northwest and will drive through mountains to get there. The weather is looking pretty mild so far. I am excited for walks on the beach!

I've been away from hubby for 13 hours and am officially going nuts! I've been calling him every hour just to say hi and now he's gone to bed so I'm pacing around the room like a mad woman! When we are home we really aren't attached at the hip or anything but I guess just knowing he's in the other room gives me peace. I don't get to see him until Saturday! Boo-hoo me!! lol....

Treatment went well today; however it lasted all day long due to some paperwork issues. I took tomorrow off just in case this happens again. I can't log into the work computer remotely from the hospital due to some security issue on my laptop so rather than stress about that, I just called everyone involved at the office and informed them they will need to do my jobs for today and tomorrow. The tv's in the outpatient clinic really have poor reception (was told it was because they weren't really part of the "hospital" so maybe they use an antenna?

Victor's girlfriend will be coming down and that will give me an opportunity to leave the hospital and go back to the room for a little tv watching and FORT browsing.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Good to hear from you Bug, after getting the weather report from you and Ellen, I think you should go outside sometime tomorrow and take in a little sun for those of us who have none It is good to hear that the treatment went well today. There are so many of us here thinking of you and Victor and hoping that those thoughts and prayers help him get through. Take care!

It was so hot here today in LA I started sweating standing outside to make my phone calls!!

Funny story. When we arrived here at the Ronald McDonald house this evening, they had food from a church being made for us. I walked out into the backyard, passing through the reading room I notice the back of a woman's head in the chair facing the wall. 2 hours later, I walk to the backyard again, glance over and the head is there again, cocked in the same direction! The room was dark so I couldn't see the front of the person. Right now I just walked past the room again, same position, same head and I thought, is that woman dead or asleep in that chair?? The light was finally on in the room so I walked past the window and IT IS A DOLL! OMG the whole thing was like a bad horror movie scene until I figured it out.

I should probably try to get some sleep tonight or I may be having these little horror scene moments tomorrow too!
    Yup, with donuts!!

FORT Fogey

Buglover - just read your posts. In all this it is so wonderful of you to take the time to update your FORT friends. You truly are a special person.

Hope you got some sleep last night, and that all continues to go well. You, Victor, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers constantly.

+ Reply to Thread