+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6751Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4124743;
    My question: What is it with men and white bread? I've noticed it when I'm shopping in the grocery store....and they are proud of it!
    Huh? As in liking white bread? I'll have to take a look next time I'm shopping. But my husband hates white bread, loves the same grainy stuff as I do. (In fact, when I made beer bread last week, he made sure I was going to use whole wheat flour.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4124743;
    My question: What is it with men and white bread? I've noticed it when I'm shopping in the grocery store....and they are proud of it!
    A lot of people aren't very adventurous when it comes to food. They know what they were raised with and most likely, people of a certain age were probably served white bread.

MRD

Bug, hope it went well. MOst of the time family want what they think is best for you coming from THEIR perspective and not yours. Being able to go and hold you head up and know that YOU have your priorities straight despite what they think is all you need to concentrate on.

Opposite here in my family. My husband prefers whole wheat and I am the one that eats what I call "squishy white bread".
    I love whole grain breads for some sandwiches and toast, but there are three things that I can ONLY eat on squishy white bread: egg salad, pimento cheese and grilled cheese. Is most definitely a holdover from childhood, but none of those things taste right to me on any other kind of bread. So we primarily buy white bread if I shop and whole wheat if he shops.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I think the whole bread thing might also be a texture issue (though I agree with the other comments). I have a friend, female, who is a really picky eater, especially when it comes to the texture of foods and she can not eat anything other than white bread because she just doesn't like the grainy-ness of wheat bread. Granted she also really didn't adjust well to any drastic changes, so that's also probably part of it.

Plus, if you don't really have a reason to change from the products you have always used, you will probably never try anything new.

We were raised with only Whole Wheat in the house so none of us mind it - although now I'm gluten-free, so I don't eat much bread at all.

I rarely eat white bread. Usually it is Catherine Clarks brownberry ovens whole wheat. Mean grilled cheese with that bread.

I haven't eaten white bread since the mid-70s. My kids have never had it. A couple of years ago, my daughter wanted to try it, so I bought a loaf. She thought it was disgusting. We fed the birds with it. I guess it's just what you're used to.
    Count your blessings!

Growing up, my mother baked bread, rolls, etc. every week. We never had store bought bread, and I remember wanting Wonder bread soooo badly. What I wouldn't give now for my mom's homemade bread! I guess I could make my own, but to think I had someone who made it for me every week, and I had no appreciation for it at all. Now I know the amount of work that's involved.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

MRD

Never liked Wonder bread. For us it's Merita and it has to be really soft.

My grandmother could make some incredible biscuits, bread, etc. But once convenience foods started to become big, she started buying those. I guess after 50+ years of making everything from scratch, gardens, canning, etc., those whomp biscuits from Pillsbury were just easier on her. She made 80% of what we ate growing up as my mom worked.
    One of the reasons I don't eat spagetti today and didn't eat fish until I was grown was that I got served a steady diet of Spagetti-os and fish sticks for lunches. I still can't eat canned fruit cocktail anymore either. But she did bust out her old recipes at the holidays and make stuff from scratch.

But in the little town I grew up in, you really didn't have much choice. I remember iceberg lettuce being the only lettuce you could buy and white bread was about it as well. The most exotic thing we got was Chef Boy R Dee. And your choice of cheese was limited to cheddar and swiss and Kraft singles. Not a lot of variety until well into the 80's. Slice and bake cookie dough bout near caused a riot when we got it in the stores.

Salad in our house was a head of iceberg lettuce cut into four wedges. Or a bowl of sliced tomatos, cukes and onions floating around in white vinegar.

I can remember going into my first Albertsons which was HUGE and being agog at all the different cheeses and bread and other stuff they had in there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The white bread and mens' seeming preference for it are what I've noticed when I'm doing my rare grocery shopping. I even asked one guy what it was about men and white bread, and all he could do was give me this sheepish grin. The guys I worked around....white-breaders, for the most part. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it...just what I've noticed and am curious about. I grew up on white bread, too, but I can't remember the last time I've had any. My favorite is rye, and I will settle for wheat if I can't get rye. I even order my BLTs and clubs on rye. Rye toast makes me very happy. I like Roman Meal, too.

mrd, I love your term "whomp buscuits". It makes me giggle.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Love rye toast. But I do think it has a lot to do with what you grew up with. And men really aren't all that adventurous in the eating department. They want it simple if they have to make it.

+ Reply to Thread