+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    About paint fumes...maybe somebody else has also heard about this. Adding 1 tsp. of vanilla to a gallon of paint helps control the fumes that really bother some people.

After having a really negative experience with with my home being painted while I was there, I always vowed that I will move out of my home while it's being painted the next time. Haven't had to do that yet, but I've heard about the vanilla trick more than once, and I look forward to trying it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    I'll have to remember that for the next project. But the paint has already been painted and it still smells like paint today.
    I have spent most of the day in my bedroom at the other end of the house with the door shut and I really need to get stuff done in other areas. I ran out here to check my email as I had emailed a bunch of resumes yesterday and today, so wanted to see if I got any responses and of course I can't stay off Fort, so now need to scurry back to my paint fume free hidey hole.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Is it me or do others do this or feel the way I do about it?

Thanksgiving. Fairly large holiday. Usually involves a lot of planning for the person who is hosting. Lots of cooking.

Does your family/friends make arrangements who will be hosting and cooking, who will do the traveling, etc., in advance and I mean, like a month or so in advance? Sometimes more if people are flying?

My friend is coming with her two kids. We pretty much decided this in Sept and she bought plane tickets in early Oct. I know some people may not plan this far in advance, but as she wanted to get a good price on tickets, we decided early so she could book.

I get an email today from my cousin who lives 2 hours away. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks from this coming Thur.
    She wants to know if we can come to her house for thanksgiving. I emailed back and said we already had plans-friends flying in, etc. And now she is miffed. I wanted to badly to say: you should have planned this before now.
    She always does this to me. Just assumes that we have no friends or other family or other commitments. My husbands sister is the same way. She would call us on Thur to tell us she was flying in on Fri. and could we meet for dinner that night of breakfast on Sat. I don't know how many plans I had to change because of her short notice and finally I stopped changing plans and told her: you need to let us know ahead of time as we often have plans that have to be changed to accomodate you. She didn't speak for me for almost a year. Oh well. I don't care.

Anway, now this cousin is doing the same thing.

So I was just wondering if other families plan ahead for the holidays and how long you start to plan for? LIke I said, it may be me, but two weeks for a major holiday is not enough time. I've already made my plans.

If I'm not going anywhere and am planning on having Thanksgiving at home, I don't care how many people show up--especially if they are family. The more the merrier. Two week's notice is plenty of time for me, and I always cook extra, anyway.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2131013;
    If I'm not going anywhere and am planning on having Thanksgiving at home, I don't care how many people show up--especially if they are family. The more the merrier. Two week's notice is plenty of time for me, and I always cook extra, anyway.
    I'm like you, if I'm cooking, I don't care who shows up and even last min. guests are welcome.

But to be invited somewhere else, how much ahead of time do you think is a good notice? Because to me, especially having to travel, you'd think that at least soft plans need to be made ahead of time and not 2 weeks.

I think I'm just miffed as this is so typical for her that she just assumes we are so friendless that we have NO plans for ANYTHING at anytime and always does this. She wants free babysitting for black friday too as she asked us to stay overnight so my daughter can babysit her 3 kids.

I don't know lol. We usually just go to my Grandma's house, who lives 10 minutes away. It just makes me sad that she isnt the best cook. i mean, the woman doesnt even put BUTTER in the mashed potatoes! I love Thanksgiving because of the food, but I am NOT looking forward to the weekend following it. I have to work the friday after, work my normal weekend shifts... and I am dreading the monday following. I'll have to open the station at 5 am, work until 3 pm, then go to school untill 9:30 pm. All because it seems my mother and I arent allowed to have a life, but the owner/ my uncle and cousin can take AS MANY FREAKIN VACATIONS AS THEY WANT. Argh... and of couse, my cousin, whos shift i shall be working, will NEVER make up his hours.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Thanksgiving used to always be at my sister's house and everyone was there--all her in laws, my folks, etc. so we knew where we'd all be every year. Now it's at our house, and everyone's coming here--but everyone's within driving distance so travel plans don't really matter. (All us siblings used to live in different states but now we're all within an hour of each other so that makes get togethers much easier.) But the husband and I bought tickets to fly his parents in this year and I bought those in August when the prices were reasonable--so I guess I planned this even earlier than you myrosiedog.

We always have enough food so that kids coming home from college can bring a friend with them if they like, or our friends whose plans fell through won't have to sit at home eating a TV dinner by themselves.

With your cousin, could you invite them to come to your house for Thanksgiving since you're having out of town guests in? (Or do you not want them there?! )

What I don't understand is why she is miffed. So you already have plans - that wouldn't bother me; am I too easygoing?

I've cooked Thanksgiving dinner every year for ages. For many years it was just my parents coming over. Then my sister started driving down from Buffalo with her kids, then we tacked on my in-laws every other year (they went to my sister-in-law's on the off years), then my other sister moved nearby and that was three more. I had about 16-17 people at one point. I'd tell them all "I'm already cooking, what's another potato to peel?" These past two Thanksgivings we have been living in another state so it's my family, my mom (comes for the week), and two friends who have no family in town. Seven people just doesn't seem like much.
    I'm like you ShrinkingViolet, I purposely cook enough to have leftovers.

Oh, and to answer your question, MRD, even though this went on for many years and people could assume I was cooking, I still made sure everyone knew they were invited at least by the first of Nov.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 11-06-2006 at 03:53 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    My sister is the one who cooks for the family-some years there were 23 ppl. And we all stayed at her house. Since they are moving to a different state, everyone is on their own. But, we recently made our plans for the family get together in Dec. I don't think that's too awfully soon. I like to plan ahead!
    As for Thanksgiving, I'm probably going to do lasagna. I do not like to bake turkey. And my kids will testify that I'm a bad cook!

I always make a lot of extra, too. It's just so dang hard to find a single-serving turkey I'm not much of a cook, but I love putting together a full T-day meal for myself, and a week's worth of leftovers
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread