+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm with you on not wearing closed toed shoes Critical! Born and raised here in Cali and I live in my flip flops. I think I have about 25 pair of flip flops and slippers!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4121868;
    Bass Pro Shops is one of those places that everyone should visit at least once in a lifetime, even if you are not an outdoor enthusiast. It is totally AMAZING. And besides sporting goods, they sell clothing and house wares. I also got a great pair of leather clogs there on sale that are comfortable and stylish and don't scream: "I got these at a store that sells rifles, camo and deer urine"

ETA: And it's Really cool at Christmas when they have the fireplace at the entrance all decorated and have the most gigantic tree I've ever seen.
    Hmmm, you've almost talked me into it. One opened in our town about 2.5 years ago and at first I didn't go as a protest (the way the land deal was made, yada, yada, yada, ....), but then I just didn't have a reason to go as I don't hunt or fish. I literally drive right by it on the way to the grocery store.

eta: There are lots of Bass Shoe outlets in the midwest. I've only worn Bass leather sandals for years.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Thank you for the discussion of Bass shoes! I needed to order my sister's Christmas present (some boots she's been drooling over for months) before they ran out.

We have a Bass Pro Shop close by and I've never been. I've been to the Cabela's which I understand is similar. The little girl dresses made out of camo were a bit, well, odd.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There is a Bass Pro Shop close enough to me, so maybe I'll have to visit. My duck boots are, currently, on order and, if I've been a really good girl, should be here within the next day or two! Once again, the weather is turning its vicious fangs on us again. We had 100-year record high temps last summer, and it looks like the winter is going to show us the other extreme this time around.

When my sister was in high school, I remember there being a shoe that all of the Catholic school girls had to have called the Bass Weejun (sp?); I think it was a loafer, and then there was a tie-up Bass with tassels on the ends of the laces.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4121918;
    I got my favorite slippers last year from LL Bean. They're shearling lined suede sandal-style slides, ie. they just have a strap across the top of the foot, but they're really warm because of the shearling. I don't like wearing closed-toed shoes and, since I live in CA, I can get away with it most of the time. I got the slippers really cheap on sale last year, but now they not only don't have the same style, they're over $40. I love these slippers, but they're getting a little disreputable looking. This year, LL Bean has the sandal slippers, but they are the "thong" style and those aren't comfortable.

If anyone's seen a similar style somewhere else, I'd love to find another pair. I live in these slippers!
    I'm a Florida girl and have tons of sandals, but I only wear slippers in the winter and that's to keep my feet warm (20 degrees here tonight). I get cold feet really easy and if my feet are cold, then the rest of me is cold. If I can keep my feet warm, the rest of me is warm too.

Gut, I still have those fuzzy socks you sent me and I'm wearing them tonight! They are so comfy and warm.

I can't stand having stuff on my heels. Most of my shoes are either sling backs, clogs or mules. I do have a few pair of

Bass Weejuns. Thats it, I couldn't remember! Very popular in the 80's.

OK, there are some weird things in Bass Pro Shops. I've never seen that many fishing poles in my entire life, I was overwhelmed and I don't fish.
    And there are some weird stuff. And if you are not pro gun, don't go upstairs except to look down on the giant (room sized) fish tank and stream running through the store.
    But its at least worth one visit. The entrance is gorgeous. Big huge stone fireplace, beautiful wood, sofas. Looks like someone's mountain retreat. The store is HUGE. They also have a nice selection of good jackets and cold weather wear for women and men that is NOT camo.
    Don't get me wrong, 80% of it is geared towards hunting and fishing, but the other 20% is fun stuff and I love those leather shoes I got there. I got brown and wish I had gotten black too. And they have food items (not just beef jerkey ) It's just one of those places you have to experience at least once.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-07-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4121752;
    I think, when it comes to gifts, so many people have to get past buying gifts that they would like, as opposed to what the other person would prefer. That just takes listening/watching. My sister has always thought she should buy me (back when we were on speaking terms) clothing, when everybody knows that I am a gadget girl/kitchen gadget girl....she's not....she loves clothing. Some people just don't get it. The thing that always comes to my mind that she gave me that I absolutely hated, one year, were toe socks. I was shocked....and she was just smiling and tickled with herself. Luckily, it was an early gift. I went out and bought her an oil lamp!!! Her face fell worse than mine did!!! Message delivered and received.

I still believe that lists are the best way to go, even if you have to take the initiative to hand them out without being asked.....especially for men....and my sister (if we were friendly!). Sis' gifts were right up there with the days-of-the-week panties that my grandmother could always be counted on to give me every year!
    You are so right. I finally found out last year why my MIL always got some good stuff but some crazy stuff for us. Last Christmas she said she tried to buy us what we wanted and "it was really hard." That's when I finally realized we are buying gifts from completely different viewpoints. She buys what she wants to buy, I buy what I think they will want. To me, it's just a big waste of money to buy what you feel like buying for someone without regard to whether they want it, can use it, would ever have anything like that in your house...

Thankfully I do have people in my life who will ask for a list. My family believes in asking for a list, my boss also. I know that with my boss and my sister I can tell them exactly what I want and that's what I'll get. If I mention a name-brand, that's what I'll get. If the name-brand isn't important I can say that too, but we're all in agreement we'd rather get something the receiver will want/need. Which doesn't mean I've never gone off the lists but because I truly consider what they'll want it's very rare that it isn't something they'll love.

Since my daughter was tiny I've always pointed out things in stores that relatives/friends would love. Oh, Aunt So&So would love that item. I'm hoping to create in her a person who considers the receiver of her gift. As a teen I have to say that I'm very proud of her now. She really does think about what someone would like to have. She's the one who decided what I should get for mother's day and what her father would like for father's day. She perfectly picked out my gift, and it's not something I knew I wanted, but I use it 3 or 4 times a week.

Here's hoping MIL remembers to buy what we'd want, not what she wants! She always tells us that if we don't want it we can regift it, but why would she say that? It's like admitting from the start you might not be buying a good gift. Why waste the money?

We use the wish lists on Amazon. Then I try to get something I think they will like that isn't on the list - but is something that they can use based on what they are doing. But the wish lists let me get them something I know they want but won't get for themself.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I tell my family what I want. How hard is it to buy shaving cream and bubble bath. They know the kind I like.

For years I have bought my daughter a prize gift. My mom started this with us girls a long time ago and I have carried the tradition to my daughter and she loves it. She has even started doing it back to me.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember, in high school, that your boyfriends always thought that they should buy you cologne....seldom anything that you really wanted. My favorite clown, guy cousin (who was always looking to stir up trouble) to me, "He bought you that because he thinks you stink!" Had I only had my "list wisdom" back then! Guys and gifts....not a good mix without coaching. My son is a lost ball in tall weeds....for sure!

There are just so many things that I'd rather buy for myself. Please don't try to surprise me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4122593;
    I remember, in high school, that your boyfriends always thought that they should buy you cologne....seldom anything that you really wanted. My favorite clown, guy cousin (who was always looking to stir up trouble) to me, "He bought you that because he thinks you stink!" Had I only had my "list wisdom" back then! Guys and gifts....not a good mix without coaching. My son is a lost ball in tall weeds....for sure!

There are just so many things that I'd rather buy for myself. Please don't try to surprise me!
    And was it Love's Baby Soft or Charlie?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread