+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7207Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

So, do you have duck shoes and duck boots? I was actually thinking about getting a pair of each, but I don't want to waste my money if I'm not going to use them. We don't get a lot of deep snow, but when the snow melts, and you have to go to the grocery store, there is always the issue of slogging through the parking lot in the standing puddles...and my tennis shoes don't always protect me enough. And there's nothing worse than wet socks and shoes.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4120955;
    Ok, I am going against popular opinion on here, but I LOVE to get gifts. I love having presents under the tree. I make a long list and give it to my husband and daughter. That way they know what I want and they can choose a few things, so I'm surprised at what I get, but it's stuff I wanted.
    But we also try to do as much as we can for charities as well.

This year, we are not doing gifts because of the wedding. He is HARD to buy for and I usually get him clothes as he always needs work clothes. Not fun, but he hates Christmas anyway. He's happy we're not doing it this year.
    MRD, me too. I love everything about the holiday season, but particularly Christmas Eve, with the anticipation, and Christmas itself, coming downstairs to a crackling fire, a festive tree, and yes, presents under it. I like giving my family their gifts. I like the magic and spirit of Santa Claus. I like the whole deal.

I love all things Christmas as well. My daughter just called and asked to bring 4 friends who have nowhere to go for dinner (University students that can't afford to fly home) so of course I said yes. I love, love, love cooking and baking and having a house full of laughter. The kids are always helpful at cleaning up, and one of her friends works part time as a chef, so he is bringing a dish. I'm busy trying to figure out how I'm going to fit everyone around the table, but it should work.

Oh, and MRD, I love SoftMocs, but I'm not sure if they are available in the US. I think they are better than Uggs, and much more affordable.

MRD

shay, I like the boots better for deeper puddles. Mine zip up the front and come about 2 inches above my ankle.
    The shoes look better, but I've gone places where they were not high enough. Wear the shoes on cold, drizzly days were stuff is wet, but not deep. Wear the books when it really rains and if it snows.

Canuck, how fun that will be. I miss our big family Christmases.

And I do want to ad that giving is just as much fun as getting, I love to find special gifts for people that I know they will love. Or making them a special gift. I swear though every year there is one person that everything I see, I know they would like. I could end up buying them 30 gifts. And then can find nothing for the rest of the people on my list. My dad was SO hard to buy for. I mean, really hard. The 1st Christmas after he died, I swear, everything I saw in the stores he would have loved.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-06-2010 at 06:12 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4120790;
    Mr. Ellen wants a new pair of slippers, too. (Me, I'm fine with a huge old pair of socks -- because I prefer barefoot, so baggy socks are perfect for me.) I saw some cuddly ones that hubby would probably like -- and fit our budget -- on the Land's End site.
    Both of my parents and one of my brothers have Lands End slippers and they LOVE them! While, I can't personally recommend them (I'm a bare-foot person too), I know that the majority of my family loves them!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4121207;

And I do want to ad that giving is just as much fun as getting, I love to find special gifts for people that I know they will love. Or making them a special gift. I swear though every year there is one person that everything I see, I know they would like. I could end up buying them 30 gifts. And then can find nothing for the rest of the people on my list. My dad was SO hard to buy for. I mean, really hard. The 1st Christmas after he died, I swear, everything I saw in the stores he would have loved.
    I wish that could happen to me. My sister's birthday is four days after Christmas and it's so hard for me to come up with one thing I think she'd really like, let alone two. My father's hard too... dress shirts and socks/underwear make up his list more often than not, but I want to put more thought into it.

Mom is easy. She gives us a list, but we all know what she likes, too, so it's easy to think of other things she'll love.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4121354;
    Both of my parents and one of my brothers have Lands End slippers and they LOVE them! While, I can't personally recommend them (I'm a bare-foot person too), I know that the majority of my family loves them!
    I was just looking at Lands End slippers - they look like the perfect slippers. I especially like the fleece type.

I'm mostly a barefoot person but on cold, wet days, I love my Deerfoam booties. The rubber sole lets me run outside to get the mail but otherwise they're like big ol' comfy socks. And being able to throw them into the washing machine is wonderful.
    What the heck are duck shoes (boots)?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm sure you've seen them; they've been around forever. If not, you can go to Zappo's site and enter "duck boots" into the search feature.

I think, when it comes to gifts, so many people have to get past buying gifts that they would like, as opposed to what the other person would prefer. That just takes listening/watching. My sister has always thought she should buy me (back when we were on speaking terms) clothing, when everybody knows that I am a gadget girl/kitchen gadget girl....she's not....she loves clothing. Some people just don't get it. The thing that always comes to my mind that she gave me that I absolutely hated, one year, were toe socks. I was shocked....and she was just smiling and tickled with herself. Luckily, it was an early gift. I went out and bought her an oil lamp!!! Her face fell worse than mine did!!! Message delivered and received.

I still believe that lists are the best way to go, even if you have to take the initiative to hand them out without being asked.....especially for men....and my sister (if we were friendly!). Sis' gifts were right up there with the days-of-the-week panties that my grandmother could always be counted on to give me every year!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4121752;
    I'm sure you've seen them; they've been around forever. If not, you can go to Zappo's site and enter "duck boots" into the search feature.

I think, when it comes to gifts, so many people have to get past buying gifts that they would like, as opposed to what the other person would prefer. That just takes listening/watching. My sister has always thought she should buy me (back when we were on speaking terms) clothing, when everybody knows that I am a gadget girl/kitchen gadget girl....she's not....she loves clothing. Some people just don't get it. The thing that always comes to my mind that she gave me that I absolutely hated, one year, were toe socks. I was shocked....and she was just smiling and tickled with herself. Luckily, it was an early gift. I went out and bought her an oil lamp!!! Her face fell worse than mine did!!! Message delivered and received.

I still believe that lists are the best way to go, even if you have to take the initiative to hand them out without being asked.....especially for men....and my sister (if we were friendly!). Sis' gifts were right up there with the days-of-the-week panties that my grandmother could always be counted on to give me every year!
    Shay, I think you may be right about us buying what we like.
    I collect Flamingos, so everyone knows what to buy me.
    I try to think of any collections my friends or family have and add to that. I also know people that are happy with a new Christmas ornament. Men: Food. I swear you cannot go wrong with cheese and summer sausage.

Duck shoes are hard rubber shoes with a very good grip like sole. They come up high on the instep and are made to keep feet dry. They are usually two toned in color. Like green and brown or blue and tan. They are fleece lined to keep your feet warm too. The boots have a leather shank that comes up the leg and the plastic/rubber comes up higher than the shoes so more protection for deeper puddles and snow.
    They were HUGE in the 1980's preppy look for some reason.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread