+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6159Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4119166;
    My daughter's home from her semester in Italy. She "surprised" me in my classroom with one more class to go and she proceeded to use my school computer to try to find her friends (facebook is blocked), re-arranged the pictures I had on my work-space board, and played music on her laptop while she downloaded pictures from her camera and spoke to me in Italian. She made me delicious gnocci from scratch, spread her belongings around my house like jam on toast. Fine... I had prepared myself mentally. Last night she was either jet-lagged, bored, or PMSing because we set out to do her favorite Christmas traditions (Angel Tree and Christmas tree) and she was a little itch. We had a 7-year old girl to buy presents for and she starts by picking out clothes she would like - a black pea coat, dark turtleneck, gray jeans. I reminded her we were buying for a 7 year old girl and she just seemed to lose interest. When we went to get the tree, she wanted one that only came up to her chin, when I had already explained that the tree lights in the bay window were going to take the place of outdoor decorations. When I didn't give into her whim, she just pouted. I wanted to leave without a tree, so she semi-rallied and we got one, but when we got home she scrapped the time-intensive meal she had planned to make. I had gotten "Eat, Pray, Love" with her in mind, and we watched up to the part where she leaves Italy. I asked if that brought back memories, and she snapped, "I was just there 4 days ago". Funny how you can make wonderful plans and then they fall flat when your loved one is in a "mood". I know there's a natural let-down after a huge life experience like she just had is over, and none of her friends are out of school yet. She's taking the train to Boston to see friends right after school today and her sister is driving her back tomorrow to decorate the tree. Hopefully she'll be in a better mood by then.
    I just had to comment on this because I understand it so well. In the past, I tried very hard to make and keep Christmas traditions for the kids. Even as they became older, I'd make them come with us to pick out the Christmas tree, which they loved when little and go to see The Nutcracker, thinking I was giving them something to remember. As older teenagers/young adults they didn't want to do these things anymore and generally, made a fuss, behaved not so nicely, etc etc.
    Funny thing is now, we laugh so hard remembering how their behavior made me so upset, which they thought was hilarious and these things became what we fondly remember. Someday, you and she will probably remember and laugh about how she behaved. You're very wise to know not to dwell on it and move on.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sometimes, kids outgrow traditions....even if only temporarily. I think it's a part of them doing what they should be doing...pulling away from us to become their own persons. Sometimes, what we think of as their/our traditions are really more about us. It can be painful but, hopefully, they will be back! Let's just hope that WE are not the traditions that they outgrow!

Does anybody else get bothered by the grossness of all of the touchscreens that we have today? It doesn't even have to be a touchscreen to end up looking disgusting. I have to keep alcohol preps close by so as not to lose my mind!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

One of our Christmas traditions was to pick a nice night and drive around town and look at the Christmas lights, then stop and have pizza. As the kids got older they wouldn't go, telling us it was "stupid." My son called me a couple of days ago and said to me, "Next weekend when I have the girls, do you guys want to go out and check out the Christmas lights?" So, I guess it's not so stupid anymore.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Exactly! Eventually, it seems that they always come back!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Because they are getting older and now wax nostalgic
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4120023;
    They all "get to" us one way or the other.

One of my kids was ADHD and eventually straightened out his act and went to college. He neglected to tell us until almost the last minute that he was picked for the freshman honor society; we had to drive to Philadelphia for the ceremony. As time went on he made the engineering honor society and then Phi Kappa Phi....without telling us. He also didn't tell us he was third in mechanical engineering in his class.......and the list goes on..... He also neglected to tell us what he did for Ford Racing when he worked there.....we find everything out via the Internet. Engineers are a silent, strange breed.
    Thanks for posting this... Engineers are hard to raise... mine will graduate in May with an Engineering degree. He was home over Thanksgiving and worked on a project that was due in a Monday class. I finally told him he needed to take a break, relax and enjoy his holiday... you would have thought I told him to cut off his arm. but he did listen and enjoyed the rest of his visit...of course he left early Sunday morning so he could finish his project.

prhoshay I keep handwipes with me too.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4120535;
    Thanks for posting this... Engineers are hard to raise... mine will graduate in May with an Engineering degree. He was home over Thanksgiving and worked on a project that was due in a Monday class. I finally told him he needed to take a break, relax and enjoy his holiday... you would have thought I told him to cut off his arm. but he did listen and enjoyed the rest of his visit...of course he left early Sunday morning so he could finish his project.

prhoshay I keep handwipes with me too.
    ITG -- mine was harder even because of the ADHD and the crappy self-image those kids have. It was not until he was done with his first year of college and first co-op experience that he finally applied to the Engineering School. He went to a "grind" school (Drexel Univ.) which just encourages the hard work and thought processes it takes to succeed. Good luck to your son.

I just got back from my women's discusion group. This month's topic was "What do you want?" Six women and not one of us wanted something material. Next month's topic: How do you feel about having to be the stable one in your family? I suggested shortening it to , "How stable are you?"
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I actually want a new pair of bedroom slippers. As for the rest of it, it involves, hope, love, peace and happiness for my friends and family.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mr. Ellen wants a new pair of slippers, too. (Me, I'm fine with a huge old pair of socks -- because I prefer barefoot, so baggy socks are perfect for me.) I saw some cuddly ones that hubby would probably like -- and fit our budget -- on the Land's End site.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread