+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6269Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4119316;
    Thanks - you're right. We just had such a good time the first two days and I know once her friends get home from college, she'll be busy most of the time, but she was just "off" and it spoiled the two Christmas traditions I was looking forward to most. Oh well, shake it off and move on.
    That's the way to get through life dear lady.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I can usually do that once I have a chance to get a little perspective. I had my weekly get-together with my Little Sister this afternoon. We were matched when she was 8 and now she's 13. Our favorite thing to do once we've got a meal of some sort under our belts, is to walk through Walmart or a dollar store and see what tickles our funny bones. Today it was an assorted box of decorative "orbs". You can't say "orb" a lot of times without eventually laughing so hard you cry. We tried to imagine uses for the orbs and managed to find other "orbs" in every department of the store masquerading as bouncy balls, moth balls, hamster excercize balls, bath oils... I think you get the picture.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Glad you had fun and could shake it off. Mine does that stuff to me all the time. Then she will come back later and apologize or do something nice for me. I don't know what it is, but they get that: "I'm going to make you so miserable if its the last thing I do." Makes you want to stick a foot up their butt. Feel your pain. But don't let her spoil anything for you. I would have just left the store and told her I'd come back later and do it alone. I've taken mine home before and not when she was 4, but recently.
    Then things like last night happen and you forget what a pain in the butt they are.
    Mine got inducted into Phi Theta Kappa last night (the community college versio of Phi Beta Kappa). I sat there watching the ceremony thinking: all the pain in the butt girl scout meetings, pto fundraisers, parent teacher meetings, volunteering at the school, attending holiday plays and school concerts and how many times have I sat there and watched her up on the stage either performing or getting recognized for something and the tears over homework and I thought to myself: "and tonight, all that paid off, she's just joined the largest honor society in the US" And then it also hit me that last night is the last time I will hear her name called in public that it will be the same last name as mine.

I know it's hard to think of the good stuff when they are acting like PITA's. But I have also learned to just walk away from her in those moods.
    Hopefully today is better.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I feel like I should apologize on behalf of the bad-mood daughters. I was probably worse in my teens, when I was actually living at home (due to those crazy teen hormones); but, I will be aware of how I act and treat my parents when I go home from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4119949;
    I feel like I should apologize on behalf of the bad-mood daughters. I was probably worse in my teens, when I was actually living at home (due to those crazy teen hormones); but, I will be aware of how I act and treat my parents when I go home from now on.

WrigleyDogA2, that is very sweet of you to say. I think when I was younger, I felt like I was treating my parents just fine, but I am pretty sure that I occasionally was selfish and moody and took them for granted and could have hurt their feelings. I don't think I was capable of seeing their perspective.

Reading the posts about parental frustration has had a positive affect on you, indeed. I would have benefited from this conversation when I was younger! But it is not too late to keep in mind that I need to be extra mindful of how I am around my 87 year old father. I know I lose patience with him from time to time. And I will be visiting him for the holidays...

myrosiedog, congrats on your daughter's achievements! I hope everything goes smoothly for you in the upcoming weeks.

MRD

Well keeping with the moody daughter theme. She told us about the ceremoney 90 min. before it took place. Her father and I weren't home and were in jeans. Had to rush home, throw on decent clothes and rush to get there in time. Would have been nice if she had given us a little more notice.

But thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4120003;
    Well keeping with the moody daughter theme. She told us about the ceremoney 90 min. before it took place. Her father and I weren't home and were in jeans. Had to rush home, throw on decent clothes and rush to get there in time. Would have been nice if she had given us a little more notice.

But thanks.
    I guess that was in keeping with this whole conversation. At least she told you about it! My son had an art opening and exhibit and told us after it closed! His art was very cool and he always shared what he was working on, but somehow decided we wouldn't care about coming to his exhibit near his college.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They will "get it" when they are parents and their children treat them the same way. It's just the way it works.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

They all "get to" us one way or the other.

One of my kids was ADHD and eventually straightened out his act and went to college. He neglected to tell us until almost the last minute that he was picked for the freshman honor society; we had to drive to Philadelphia for the ceremony. As time went on he made the engineering honor society and then Phi Kappa Phi....without telling us. He also didn't tell us he was third in mechanical engineering in his class.......and the list goes on..... He also neglected to tell us what he did for Ford Racing when he worked there.....we find everything out via the Internet. Engineers are a silent, strange breed.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4120023;
    They all "get to" us one way or the other.

One of my kids was ADHD and eventually straightened out his act and went to college. He neglected to tell us until almost the last minute that he was picked for the freshman honor society; we had to drive to Philadelphia for the ceremony. As time went on he made the engineering honor society and then Phi Kappa Phi....without telling us. He also didn't tell us he was third in mechanical engineering in his class.......and the list goes on..... He also neglected to tell us what he did for Ford Racing when he worked there.....we find everything out via the Internet. [B] Engineers are a silent, strange breed.
    Um yes. My dad was one, I'm married to one and know a few more. They all seem to live inside their own heads.

This joke sums it up and is one of my favorites:

2 engineers are talking. One says: yesterday I was sitting on a park bench and this beautiful blonde rode up on a bicycle and said: "you can have anything you want". The other one says: "wow, what did you do?"
    The first one: "I took the bicyle of course." Second one: "Oh good choice."

+ Reply to Thread