+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6193Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4116873;
    ...I'm the youngest in my family and I finally got my own room after everybody else left.
    I'm the oldest in the family. I got my own room at age 18 when I moved out of my parents' home and into my own apartment (yes, while going to college, working, and paying my own tuition -- no free ride here!).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

There were 3 of us girls and one brother. 3 bedrooms (besides my parents'). My brother always had his own room, but the 3 sisters rotated regularly through the double and single, so everyone got the single sometimes and we had to double with each sister alternately. My older sister always blamed me for anything that went wrong (I "hung" her Raggedy Ann doll from the bed post in revenge once) and my younger sister banged her head rhythmically to get to sleep. But we were so bad as teenagers, my dad made a bedroom out of the "bomb shelter" in the basement. It was cool, with recycled barn siding and a built-in desk with secret drawers... and two basement exits if you wanted to sneak out or in.
    Count your blessings!

My daughter's home from her semester in Italy. She "surprised" me in my classroom with one more class to go and she proceeded to use my school computer to try to find her friends (facebook is blocked), re-arranged the pictures I had on my work-space board, and played music on her laptop while she downloaded pictures from her camera and spoke to me in Italian. She made me delicious gnocci from scratch, spread her belongings around my house like jam on toast. Fine... I had prepared myself mentally. Last night she was either jet-lagged, bored, or PMSing because we set out to do her favorite Christmas traditions (Angel Tree and Christmas tree) and she was a little itch. We had a 7-year old girl to buy presents for and she starts by picking out clothes she would like - a black pea coat, dark turtleneck, gray jeans. I reminded her we were buying for a 7 year old girl and she just seemed to lose interest. When we went to get the tree, she wanted one that only came up to her chin, when I had already explained that the tree lights in the bay window were going to take the place of outdoor decorations. When I didn't give into her whim, she just pouted. I wanted to leave without a tree, so she semi-rallied and we got one, but when we got home she scrapped the time-intensive meal she had planned to make. I had gotten "Eat, Pray, Love" with her in mind, and we watched up to the part where she leaves Italy. I asked if that brought back memories, and she snapped, "I was just there 4 days ago". Funny how you can make wonderful plans and then they fall flat when your loved one is in a "mood". I know there's a natural let-down after a huge life experience like she just had is over, and none of her friends are out of school yet. She's taking the train to Boston to see friends right after school today and her sister is driving her back tomorrow to decorate the tree. Hopefully she'll be in a better mood by then.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Hang in there, Gutmutter. I didn't raise any girls, but I can remember sometimes when my sons were moody; eventually it passes.

Thanks Columbia. I've let it put me in a bad mood, and I can't seem to pull myself out of it.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter don't let it get you down.

Sounds like you want her back there as much as she wants to be

kids

Today my daugther yelled at me when I was telling her it was time to go. She was the one needing to be at school on time, yet I'm the one getting the bad attitude for trying to get her there.

Hey Gutmutter, I understand completely. I miss my daughter so much sometimes it's an actual physical pain. Then ... she will come home for a visit and normally, the first day or so, it's wonderful. Then we start to get on each others nerves. I chalk it up to two adult women in the same household. I admit that I am set in my ways and I want things the way I want them. My sons are just more, I guess the word would be, adaptable maybe. Or maybe it's just that they are here more often and used to my ways, while I'm used to theirs. At any rate, my daughter and I have butted heads since she was about 15. I love her more than life itself, but I know that we couldn't live together for any length of time without killing each other. (still... I sure hope she is able to make it home for Christmas this year. I miss her soooo much!)
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gutmutter, give her time to come down from her Italy high. She is coming home to a new home and back under Mom's roof after being on her own.
    Her being away today will do you both good. It will be okay.

Thanks - you're right. We just had such a good time the first two days and I know once her friends get home from college, she'll be busy most of the time, but she was just "off" and it spoiled the two Christmas traditions I was looking forward to most. Oh well, shake it off and move on.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread