+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My mom always roasted her turkey in an electric roaster oven out in the garage to free up the kitchen for all the side dishes and desserts. Do they still make those? Just googled it... yes they do, but I don't see one as big as my mom's!
    Count your blessings!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4116191;
    My mom always roasted her turkey in an electric roaster oven out in the garage to free up the kitchen for all the side dishes and desserts. Do they still make those? Just googled it... yes they do, but I don't see one as big as my mom's!
    My family had a problem a few years ago finding a new roaster. The old one, that we always put the turkey in, broke and it was so hard to find a new one that was big enough. In the end my grandfather found an old, used roaster at a garage sale. It works and can hold the huge turkey that we always get.

we used to have one of those huge NESCO roasters also.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My niece-in-law was cooking her very first turkey this year and sent her husband, my nephew, out to get a "small" turkey. He came with a 23 pounder!!!! I haven't heard how it went!!!

The price break at the stores here is usually 18 pounds, so I try to get one a little over that. This year's was almost 20 for only 7 of us. I froze some and we've had two full meals off of the rest and the other leftover side dishes and still have some left for sandwiches this week. Yum!!!! After I took that one out of the freezer to thaw, I bought another cheap one for sometime in the future. We love turkey!!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4116191;
    Wow. I could have written that very same sentence.
    Makes sense to do it that way but I think I'd miss that wonderful aroma in the house.... that in itself, is a good part of the Thanksgiving feeling for me.

My mom's roaster belonged to her aunt who lived and cooked in the old family homestead in Erie, PA. We used to all gather there... outhouse and bed pans, water pumped by hand, kerosene heat, all the women shelling peas on the porch for supper. Good times.
    I'm kind of sad my children have never experienced that very real slice of our recent past history.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4116415;
    My mom's roaster belonged to her aunt who lived and cooked in the old family homestead in Erie, PA. We used to all gather there... outhouse and bed pans, water pumped by hand, kerosene heat, all the women shelling peas on the porch for supper. Good times.
    I'm kind of sad my children have never experienced that very real slice of our recent past history.
    We did that too...well water drawn by bucket, long walks down dirt roads, burn barrel, darkest dark and the brightest stars, catching fireflys, swimming in the pond, bathing in a wash tub with water heated on the woodstove, and Grandaddy long leg spiders in the outhouse (yuck).
    Fun memories...
    I forgot... fighting over who got to sleep in front of the window fan. Most often it was pallets on the floor.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 11-29-2010 at 04:56 PM.

A real feather bed - that's what we fought over.
    Count your blessings!

We didn't have running water or indoor toilet til I was almost a teenager. We had to haul our water to the house from the well. There was 7 of us kids so we didn't get a bedroom to ourselves. My sister and I are raising her grandkids and they each have their own rooms and I told her yesterday what we would have done to have gotten our own rooms growing up. Kids don't know how good they have it. We didn't have a/c either. A water cool fan at our house. Them were the good ole days. I think how simpler life was back then and how we were as a family unit. I wouldn't trade those days for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4116858;
    There was 7 of us kids so we didn't get a bedroom to ourselves.
    I remember hearing a comedian (don't remember who) that came from a large family saying he used to come home last so he could sleep on top.
    I'm the youngest in my family and I finally got my own room after everybody else left.

+ Reply to Thread