+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6239Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4114442;
    I think that we let so much pressure be put on us to have "the perfect holiday" and of course, it's the Norman Rockwell version we think we should have.
    I think that whatever it is we do, whereever it is we go or don't go, what we eat, who we're with, all that should matter is that you are doing what YOU and your family want and not worry about how it's "supposed" to be.
    I used to get really upset that we went from having 30 to having 4. I cooked for 3 days. Now I buy the dinner from the store and reheat. The last few years, I've actually gotten to watch the Macy's parade and spend nice quality time with my family and not end up exhausted, with a hurting back from standing in the kitchen.

While those large Thanksgivings were a lot of fun. I'm at a point in my life where the quiet ones are just fine with me.

Have a great Thanksgiving guys, whereever you are and whatever you do.
    You really hit that nail on the head MRD. For way too many years in my life I dreaded, actually hated holidays. We always had to go to my in-laws and there was always some kind of drama and usually a huge fight. Now, we stay home, my kids and grandkids and friends come here. It's mellow and happy, and very stress-free. What irks me is all the years that I wasted being miserable because it was "expected" of us to show up at all the family functions.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Hope everyone is having a good day. Mr. Columbia and I had "dinner for two" from a local supermarket. No muss, no fuss, and very little bother. Came with precise instructions about how to heat everything up. Other than a bit much pepper in the stuffing, it was great. Even pumpkin pie was included.
    We just added sparkling cider, cranberry sauce and cool whip.

I can relate to having to go places you dread. It ruins the whole day. Why be miserable on a holiday???

This is a scream; I found it on the Wired site:
    How to Make an All-Instant Thanksgiving Dinner | Wired Science | Wired.com
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I had a couple of hundred of my closets friends over today. Ten gallons of giblet gravy, a couple of hundred pounds of turkey, 25 pumpkin pies, 10 gallons of stuffing. Yeah, I had to work.
    Every year along with Alice's Restaurant I have to watch this greatest episode ever of WKRP in Cincinnati.

YouTube - WKRP Turkey Drop in 30 Seconds

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4114542;
    You really hit that nail on the head MRD. For way too many years in my life I dreaded, actually hated holidays. We always had to go to my in-laws and there was always some kind of drama and usually a huge fight. Now, we stay home, my kids and grandkids and friends come here. It's mellow and happy, and very stress-free. What irks me is all the years that I wasted being miserable because it was "expected" of us to show up at all the family functions.
    Don't let it irk you. Live and learn. I did the SAME thing until I got fed up with it and it took me 17 years. And now my kid is facing that and I told her: "don't be a doormat to your MIL as long as I was. Stand up to her now and she'll back down" (I got that one pegged, give it back to her and she stops)

I dunno, I had to be staring 50 in the face and go through a lot of you know what before I figured out what was truly important and what I was just wasting my time and energy on.

Columbia, we did the same thing. So easy. And we started the morning off with Mimosas and am finishing the day with Irish coffee.

Unk, think of all the families you made happy today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We had a nice dinner here at 2:00. Uncle wasn't feeling well so he had a few beers a plate of food and went back upstairs to his apartment. Mom and dad enjoyed the meal. I have wayyyyyy too much left and now I need to figure out what to do because on Saturday my SIL and Brother are coming over for Italian beef sandwiches ala crockpot and Pasta Fagioli. I think I will end up freezing the beef after we eat or give it to them, so I can eat the leftovers from today over the next 4 days or so. I clean up as I go along and just finished up the pie plates from the great apple pie that Mom & dad brought so everything is done, they should be home now relaxing and that is what I am going to do...♪♫♪♫ Miller High Life - The Champagne of Bottle Beer.♫♫♫♪♪
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4114598;
    Unk, think of all the families you made happy today.
    My staff made good money and I had many, many customers thank us for being open. We also donate dinners to The American Cancer Society that they take to hospice patients so that makes for good day too.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The chili was a HUGE hit!! It was more about being with people you like being with.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Our dinner was good with our friends - just the four of us and Louie their black lab. She loves to cook Thanksgiving dinner and there was so much food! I joked that we were going to bring tupperware for leftovers and she said "oh, we ARE sending you with half of these leftovers-don't you worry about that!" They were awesome hosts and we watched Dallas and UT lose their respective games. Nice evening - enjoying some great food, great friends, great football.

My daughter came with her friend from Japan. I've heard so many stories about him (they prank each other all the time) it was good to finally meet him. During the course of the meal, it came out that his family lives 2 doors down from an old friend of mine who lives in Japan. Small world. We had an 8 lb. chicken with stuffing so it felt like a turkey. My daughter made her famous mashed potatoes with 2 heads of roasted garlic and an whole container of sour cream. After the meal she asked how most people made mashed potatoes and couldn't believe it when I told her. They stayed for a little while after dessert and then he headed back to Boston and she went to visit a childhood friend the next town to the north leaving me with the clean up. She ended up staying over because the weather had turned icy. So a quiet morning here. Glad that I pushed through and did all the clean up last night so I can relax this morning.
    Hope you all had a lovely day.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread