+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Well there's good news, and bad news. The bad news is that there is absolutely nothing to watch on local tv except football. The good news is that we aren't having non stop political advertisements.

Question!

We like pizza.....a lot. We like going to the pizza joint and eating but lately we often don't feel like getting out. I mentioned that we could order in, and HE agreed, but we don't know how much to tip the delivery guy. I asked the neighbor across the street, who orders several times a month, and she just emailed back saying tha they give the guy 3.00. Isn't that an unusually small amount? The guy has to drive four miles to our house. We tip the girls at the pizza joint more than that and she doesn't have to do much. Help!
    Last edited by Muduh; 11-04-2006 at 06:08 PM.

If you think it's too low, he'd probably accept more. Three dollars doesn't sound that bad. What does 15% of the bill work out to be? If the poor schmuck has to pay for his own gas, you might bump it up another dollar.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2129288;
    I asked the neighbor across the street, who orders several times a month, and she just emailed back saying tha they give the guy 3.00. Isn't that an unusually small amount? The guy has to drive four miles to our house. We tip the girls at the pizza joint more than that and she doesn't have to do much. Help!
    Muduh, I usually tip about $5 (on top of the delivery charge, which I don't think actually goes to the guy/gal who delivers the pizza) even though it's only about a mile or two. I figure if I'm too lazy to haul myself to the pizzeria to pick it up, I may as well make sure the kid delivering it gets a little something 'cause I'm sure he's not getting paid a lot. Plus, it's usually the same kid and he always makes sure we get our pizzas hot AND not all mushed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2128962;
    You know what I always chuckle about is while reading the store ads, they advertise "fancy" shrimp. or "fancy" apples or whatever. How does a shrimp go about being fancy, as opposed to the plain old blue collar shrimp?
    The USDA has a grading system for fruits, vegetables, etc. Some of the choices are fancy, choice, jumbo, extra fancy, grade A, etc. The rating is based on size, color, blemishes, etc. I'll try to find a link that can explain it better.

Well I figure that an 18.00 pizza is worth a good bit more if I dont have to go get it,so we'll try to do the guy right. I just know that I wouldn't be able to look the guy in the eye and hand him 3.00.

Unk, what I'm concerned about is that even though they say that my shrimp, apples or whatever are "fancy", they never seem to be any fancier than any others. An apple is an apple, plain or fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh;2129454;
    An apple is an apple, plain or fancy.
    Not really. It's a quality issue. From the U. S. Dept. of Agriculture here is just a couple of apple grades.
    Grades
    §51.300 U.S. Extra Fancy.
    “U.S. Extra Fancy” consists of apples of one variety (except when more than one variety is printed on the container) which are mature but not overripe, clean, fairly well formed, free from decay, internal browning, internal breakdown, soft scald, scab, freezing injury, visible water core, and broken
    skins. The apples are also free from injury caused by bruises, brown surface discoloration, smooth net-like russeting, sunburn or sprayburn, limb rubs, hail, drought spots, scars, disease, insects, or other means. The apples are free from damage caused by bitter pit or Jonathan spot and by smooth solid,
    slightly rough or rough russeting, or stem or calyx cracks, as well as damage by invisible water core after January 31st of the year following the year of production except for the Fuji variety of apples. Invisible water core shall not be scored against the Fuji variety of apples under any circumstances. For
    the apple varieties listed in Table I of §51.305, each apple of this grade has the amount of color specified for the variety. (See §§51.305 and 51.306.)
    §51.301 U.S. Fancy.
    “U.S. Fancy” consists of apples of one variety (except when more than one variety is printed on the container) which are mature but not overripe, clean, fairly well formed, and free from decay, internal browning, internal breakdown, soft scald, freezing injury, visible water core, and broken skins. The apples are also free from damage caused by bruises, brown surface discoloration, russeting, sunburn or sprayburn, limb rubs, hail, drought spots, scars, stem or calyx cracks, disease, insects, bitter pit, Jonathan spot, or damage by other means, or invisible water core after January 31st of the year following the year of production, except for the Fuji variety of apples. Invisible water core shall not be scored against the Fuji variety of apples under any circumstances. For the apple varieties listed in Table I of §51.305, each apple of this grade has the amount of color specified for the variety. (See §§51.305 and 51.306.)
    §51.302 U.S. No. 1.

I usually tip the pizza guy about $3, more if it's pouring or snowing.

I'm in the "wait until dark" to put on PJ's crowd. It gets dark so early now, I barely have time to get home from work before I'm in them. Last night running to the store at 7pm my mind kept telling me it was the middle of the night.

Mudah, the political ads are driving me nuts. I can't watch TV anymore, I'm ready to lose it. Watched DVD's all last night. Have skipped watching the news as that is one politcal ad after another.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I'd like to weigh in on the Pizza tip issue. My son delivers pizza (college money). He gets next to nothing from the pizza place, it all depends on the tips. You would be surprised how many people don't realize they are expected to tip, and how many roads have similar names, or small towns beside each other have the same street names and customers forget to mention they are from the next town over. That results in driving all over, the pizza getting cold, and my son getting blamed. He also gets blamed for wrong orders (and not tipped) even though that is completely out of his control. The added fee for delivery goes for gas, insurance, wear and tear. Your tip is actually what he's making. So be generous! Especially if he is nice. They don't allow girls to deliver at my son's place.
    Count your blessings!

What I've noticed around here is that most pizza guys are not kids by any stretch. They are MEN and probably are working a second job for their families.

A guy who was my husbands helper at work did that for a while. He said that a certain mobile home park here was notorious for no one every tipping the pizza guys. I think they finally stopped delivering there. The big tippers across the street from me order really, really often. I wonder if the guys fight over who's going to make the trip out here for all that money.

We ended up not ordering last night. I have a coupon for buy one get one free but it's a pickup so we'll probably do that today.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    It really ticks me off that the way many businesses are set up is that they pay their employees next to nothing and the customers are expected to subsidize their salaries...which is fine for those of us who realize that servers and delivery guys and gals make their livings from their tips and ALWAYS tip (except when service is super bad). But there are a TON of people who don't tip (some are just plain cheap, some don't have a lot of money, but others don't realize they're supposed to) and then the servers/delivery people get screwed. I know some people who make good money who just assume that if there's a delivery charge, that goes to the person delivering the food. So they don't tip on top of that. I guess my feeling is that if I'm fortunate enough to be able to have enough money to order food in, then the least I can do is make sure the person delivering our food gets a tip. A $5 tip usually is less than I'd pay at a restaurant anyway so I'm still not spending as much as I ordinarily would--and I can eat in my PJ's if I want! Don't get me wrong--I'm not a big spender by any means. But if I have a coupon for "free delivery" or a "free entree," I'm not going to stiff the delivery person (or the waitress if I'm eating there) by NOT considering that when I tip. Being fair/nice pays off, too. The kid that delivers our pizza fills us in on the specials they've having and will slip us coupons that we may not have gotten otherwise. He looks out for us.

Some people also are super cheap with cab drivers as well. They'll tip 50 cents on a $4.50 cab fare. I always tip at least $1, no matter how low the total comes to. Again, if I want to get a really cheap ride, I can hop on the bus.

+ Reply to Thread