+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6763Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

FORT Fogey

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

If you google "no spanking laws" you will find a lot of interesting links. If you read the one which details State laws, you will see the states draw the line between a whack on the bu-- and child abuse. They are light years apart and parents have to know where to draw the line and stick to it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The article, when I googled "hot sauce on tongue for discipline" also cited lemon juice and white vinegar as alternatives.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The hot saucing is an awful idea...

Gut I love the plates, what a great idea. Thanks

the dragonlady My dogs know my " hands on my hips Mother voice too" stops them dead in their tracks. So does my college age son...
    Last edited by inthegarden; 11-14-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4105479;
    My dogs know my " hands on my hips Mother voice too" stops them dead in their tracks. So does my college age son...
    I dated a guy once and his dog had a nickname. I couldn't believe when he was running towards the road and my boyfriend's mom called out the dog's whole name. The dog stopped dead in his tracks. Like a mom calling their kid by their full name. Very funny!

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4105512;
    I dated a guy once and his dog had a nickname. I couldn't believe when he was running towards the road and my boyfriend's mom called out the dog's whole name. The dog stopped dead in his tracks. Like a mom calling their kid by their full name. Very funny!
    That's what used to do to Joey when he used to cause trouble with Mona. JOSEPH GERARD *lastname*.... he used to stop and look at me.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

The discussion about teachers, education, etc. leads me to put this post here.

Today a great teacher, one of the rare ones, one that used humor and personality to teach and discipline passed away today. He taught for 40 years. He was loved by so many and he will be greatly missed. We were fortunate enough not only to be taught by him over 30 years ago, but to be friends with his brother and family for the last 15 years.
    The world needs more teachers like "Mr. Shoe", he truly was one in a million. He inspired and influenced generations of kids. He made sentence diagraming fun (yes, believe it or not, he did). He was named teacher of the year one year and he talked the rest of the English teachers into being his "team of horses" to pull the "coach" on which he rode into the ceremony.
    He was hilarious and he was also a great teacher and his humor was part of what made him such a wonderful teacher and man.

Mr. Shoe, whereever you are I hope you are "rockin' and reelin' and hangin' from the ceilin' " (his favorite phrase).

If I was ever a teacher, I'd want to be one just like him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

He sounds like a great teacher; thanks for posting this.

And --
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4105631;
    ...He made sentence diagraming fun (yes, believe it or not, he did)....
    I LOVE sentence diagramming and use it with the kids I tutor -- the majority of whom are math whizzes. They LOVE diagramming, too. The kid who won last semester's district-wide math contest (not a native speaker of English, by the way) is a master of diagramming, and can read/write/speak circles around his native-speakers-of-Engish counterparts. His classroom teacher calls upon him to explain points of grammar that she cannot (probably because she hasn't a clue, but that's another story...)

This kid cracked me up, though, when he told me: "I hate grammar, but I love diagramming." Okay....
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

March of Dimes Prematurity Awareness Day

Much progress has been made but there is so much further we have to go.

Today, November 17th, is Prematurity Awareness Day. Today we release our Premature Birth Report Card, an interactive map that shows how your state compares to other states and to the country as a whole.

Eight states earned a better grade on the 2010 March of Dimes Premature Birth Report Card and 32 others and the District of Columbia saw their preterm birth rates improve.

Following three decades of increases, in 2008 the nation saw the first two-year decline in the preterm birth rate, a 4 percent drop from 2006. The 2008 preliminary preterm birth rate dropped to 12.3 percent, from the 2006 final rate of 12.8 percent. The March of Dimes says 79 percent of the decline was among babies born just a few weeks too soon.

Overall, the United States received a D on the report card, when national preterm birth rates are measured against the Healthy People 2010 goals. The United States has a high rate of preterm birth compared to top scoring states and, notably, most industrialized countries.

Find out more and find out what you can do by visiting our Prematurity Awareness Web site at MarchofDimes.com/Fight.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Do they still do diagramming? I wondered because none of the kids that I tutored at the community center ever did any diagramming homework. I sure remember doing it....but that was back when Dino the Dinosauer took me to and from school, too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When my daughter was in grade school they taught English with the Shirley Method. It is a sing song type of teaching and I never had to worry about her knowing how to do English because she would go through the house singing the different parts.

+ Reply to Thread