+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6977Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4103673;
    Cootie's right... if you want longer days or more of them, you have to figure in teacher pay, and building costs like heat and electricity, custodians, administration, sports schedules. OK, let's say you've gotten the towns to agree to higher taxes to pay for all that (ha!)... now you need to start negotiating with the unions. You can't just make a change in working conditions without bargaining. I've kept my mouth shut after reading some of the posts up-thread, but unless you've been in the trenches, you really shouldn't cast aspersions at teachers.
    My sister has taught pre-K, elementary and last year moved to high school. She teaches a night chemistry class at a community college. She is a very through and compassionate teacher. Some of her complaints have been the lack of funding for classroom materials, the amount of non-educational info that has to be done during class time, the uncaring, lazy (somebody else can teach them), too busy attitude of the parents.
    I know that there are some not so great teachers out there, but there are some not so great parents too. They use school as a babysitter for their children and don't follow up on their childs education.
    The most successful students are the ones with the most involved parents, not hovering but, questioning about school, grades, class assignments, projects ... Teaching their children at home and providing a home that stimulates learning. Guiding their children on how to be a teachable student.
    Yes, you are going to have children that are not brilliant in school...so, as a parent, it is your job to find out what your child can be brilliant in and do your best to make sure that they are given the confidence and opportunity to excel in that area.
    We all are responsible for the education of all children, by educating at home, at school, at church, in the work place and wherever you might come in contact with them.
    Think about it, they are going to be making decisions for all of us one day.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I fully agree with you about the lackadaisical parent. That is another serious annoyance. The teachers can only do so much, and then you have to step in and back them up. I always made sure that school personnel knew me, on sight....not just the teachers, but the office personnel, and the principals. They called me by name the moment they saw me! I didn't bug them, unnecessarily, but I made sure they knew that I was there and interested. I've never been one to really hold my words, but I picked them carefully. I can only remember really getting "into it" with one teacher about her performance, and that was done in a conference with the whole group of teachers. She had a history of problems with students and parents, but she thought her "poo" did not stink. Unfortunately, she had union protections, and even her principal couldn't do anything about her. And they could not shake her loose. Not a soul (her fellow teachers) stepped forward to offer a word in her defense when I talked to her. I just wanted somebody to help me understand that which I may not have understood. Total silence. That told me a lot.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4103673;
    ... you've been in the trenches, you really shouldn't cast aspersions at teachers.
    Amen to that! Especially with parents who refuse to cooperate, yet expect miracles.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

In Florida, with all the retirees, there are a lot of complaints about having to pay school taxes in their property taxes when they don't have kids in school. I used to point out that they should be glad to be paying to educate the people that were going to be taking care of them in the nursing homes in a few years. That shut up a lot of that complaining.

The reasoning here for closing the schools used for polling places is the children's safety. They can't guarantee that a voter isn't also a pedophile,so they err on the safe side.

I remember being in Denver on business on election day in 1984. They couldn't serve liquor until the polls closed. Not in restuarants or bars. After a LONG business day, it was a hard wait to have a little "relaxation".

As for teachers: Most teachers do the best they can with what they have and that includes limited resources, uncaring parents and students that have no fear if they act up or disrupt the entire class. My hat has always been off to teachers.
    But as in every single profession there are those that shouldn't teach, shouldn't practice medicine or law, shouldn't work the customer service counter, shouldn't wait tables.
    And then there are those that are good at what they do, but have a bad day occasionally and boy, it's that ONE bad day that EVERYONE remembers. It's not the extra 4 hours at home every evening without pay grading papers and preparing lesson plans that anyone ever thinks about either.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4104023;
    ...It's not the extra 4 hours at home every evening without pay grading papers and preparing lesson plans that anyone ever thinks about either.
    Thank you!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My sister and I are raising her grandkids(joint custody) and we talk to the teacher every year and let them know what our expectations of the kids are. We tell them bad behavior is unacceptable behavior and we want to know about it. We also let them know we are well aware of the learning potential and we expect nothing less than the best from the kids. These children are required to come in from school and do their homework immediately and to show their graded school work. We also realize that kids and teachers alike have bad days and are understanding of them. Another thing we do is to go over papers that have a grade that isn't to good and to show them what they are doing and make sure they understand what to do to correct it. Do all parents do this .......no. I feel parents have their kids involved in to many activities and that school work is secondary. I have and always will stress with these children I am helping to raise that education is first and activities is second. I can say that I have been blessed with two very intelligent children and they make it easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4104023;
    It's not the extra 4 hours at home every evening without pay grading papers and preparing lesson plans that anyone ever thinks about either.
    I hear that! The same with me, people think it is so nice that I am on salary and get the same amount every pay day because "you could work less than 40 hours and get the same pay " - I actually put in an average of 45-50 hours on campus and about 16-24 working from home, via email, remote computer, voicemail etc... I often even go in early on Saturdays or Sundays to do a few things and more times than not someone sees me and says "What are YOU doing here I NEVER see you on weekends, nights, whatever? " That is when I look at them OVER my glasses and tell them -- AHH the KEY WORD IS SEE, just because you don't SEE me does not mean I am not working.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by nennie;4104094;
    My sister and I are raising her grandkids(joint custody) and we talk to the teacher every year and let them know what our expectations of the kids are. We tell them bad behavior is unacceptable behavior and we want to know about it. We also let them know we are well aware of the learning potential and we expect nothing less than the best from the kids. These children are required to come in from school and do their homework immediately and to show their graded school work. We also realize that kids and teachers alike have bad days and are understanding of them. Another thing we do is to go over papers that have a grade that isn't to good and to show them what they are doing and make sure they understand what to do to correct it. Do all parents do this .......no. I feel parents have their kids involved in to many activities and that school work is secondary. I have and always will stress with these children I am helping to raise that education is first and activities is second. I can say that I have been blessed with two very intelligent children and they make it easier for me.
    Nennie, hats off to you and other parents/grandparents like you.

I just went to a HUGE high school reunion. All the classes from 1970-1979. They had a lot of our former teachers there. I got to sit down and talk with the man who was at the time I was in HS, the dean of students (basically in charge of punishment and he used to paddle even then) and the head football coach. He taught and coached for over 50 years and he remembered me because of my dad. And he said to me: "I only had you in my office ONE time and all I had to do was call your daddy and I never had you in my office again." Not only did he remember that, but it goes to show you that when parents are involved, the schools know it, remember it and use it.
    I got to tell this man, that just sitting IN his office was enough to put the fear of God in me and calling my dad was just about the worst punishment I could have gotten. (no, I did not get paddled. But had I done more than just skip school, I'm sure that I might have gotten it. I know others that did)
    That doesn't happen today. Or if it does, only rarely.

Oh and I don't think I was allowed to leave the house or use the telephone for a couple weeks because I did get punished at home. Much worse than I did at school. The dean gave me one detention. My parents made sure I had a few weeks to reflect on my actions.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Interesting discussion. In Canada, having lived in few provinces, I have noticed the school systems operate quite differently from province to province. My daughter's former school seemed to have quite a few PD days. Now, my children are in the Catholic school system (not a private school - in this province we have a separate and Catholic system, parents have the choice of placing their children in either one regardless of their own faith). There are 196 instructional days and few PD days, but the kids have every Thursday afternoon off while the teachers have a staff meeting.

Overall, I'm pleased with their educational experience. There are new methods being used to teach reading and mathematics, which are completely foreign to me and I admit I was resistant to them at first. I was excellent at English/language arts when I was a student and I worked hard with my kids on their reading skills at home - both are now great readers. However, I'm terrible at math and I am completely at sea with the new way it's being taught. I was very upfront with the kids' teachers at the beginning of the year and advised them that I was going to be of very little help with their math homework. They were very understanding and promised to be patient in regards to homework assignments that the girls may have trouble with. Fortunately my kids are better at math than I am and haven't experienced many problems - for the ones they have encountered, their dad was able to help out.

I appreciate the job our schoolteachers are doing. My children are progressing very well. Due to my work schedule, I'm not able to be a physical presence at the school except for parent-teacher or parent-teacher-student meeting days. However, our school provides the kids with daily agendas, that we can use to communicate with the teachers as well as check on daily homework assignments and activities during their day. They are doing the best job possible with the resources they have. My youngest's 2nd grade classroom has 27 kids and the (very young) teacher has her hands full.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I realize that I may be out of the disciplining loop, but has anyone ever heard of "hot saucing" or "hot tongue"? My son was telling me about the 4-5 year old son of an acquaintance who was terrified every time he was shown a hot sauce bottle. My son thought that this was funny; I didn't. I told him that somebody had done something to this child, thus this behavior. After I did a little internet research, I saw that this is not uncommon; it is placed on the tongue or lips of a child in an effort to correct lying, biting, saying ugly things, etc. Apparently, this has been gaining popularity. I cannot imagine. It has been recommended in some Christian circles as an OK thing to do; it has also been condemned in some of the same circles. I am totally blown away. Any experiences here? Am I the only one who had not heard of this? Apparently, Virginia is the only state in which this is against the law.

Hot Saucing as Discipline Increasing
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread