+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6942Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My schools (elementary, middle, high) were always polling places when I was growing up.

The school next to my apartment complex has also been a polling place, at least for the past 13 years I've lived here.

School was in session when I was a student; school was in session this year as well -- the voting adults and school kids able to coexist and go about their business in the same place, at least in 1960s-'70s Milwaukee and present-day San Diego. Adjustments had to be made for either phys ed or theater classes (if the gym or theater/auditorium was in use.) -- but a day off from school? Pffffft!
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The churches in our area are the polling places. They haven't used to schools here for a long time.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Firehouses are big, here, too. Of course, our churches were connected to our schools, but the polling sites were in the schools.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We have all sorts of polling places in my 'hood: the church hall, the elementary school, even garages at private homes -- anything with a roof and enough clear floor space for a volunteers' table and a few rickety booths.
    (Homemade cookies and leftover Hallowe'en candy are often part of the picture...)

Our schools are all polling places, as well as other public buildings. At the same time, our schools are also attempting to be as secure as possible with all the violence that is escalating lately. A few minutes after the first bell, all doors are locked and visitors have to buzzed in the main entrance only. None of the gyms where the voting takes place can be isolated from the rest of the building and maintain that same level of security.

In our district, a teacher in-service that was already on the calendar was moved to election day.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;4103564;
    In our district, a teacher in-service that was already on the calendar was moved to election day.
    Our school calendars -- I checked -- still have the same 180 pupil days per school year, with an additional 5 teacher workdays. It seems like more time off, maybe because of the configuration, but the math is still the same: 180 pupil days.
    (Though to be competitive globally, there needs to be more. Or longer days.)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4103116;
    I remember being in school, and our school being used as a polling place. No, we did not get the day off. I guess any excuse is better than none, though.
    We didn't until I was in high school either, but I think there's more of a heightened concern about things like pedophiles today. We were also allowed to bring PB&J to school for lunch when I was a kid, and cupcakes on birthdays, etc. Times have changed, and it's better to be safe than sued. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;4103578;
    Our school calendars -- I checked -- still have the same 180 pupil days per school year, with an additional 5 teacher workdays. It seems like more time off, maybe because of the configuration, but the math is still the same: 180 pupil days.
    (Though to be competitive globally, there needs to be more. Or longer days.)
    Students attend a certain amount of days per year with inservice days for teachers and other non-contract days built into the year. I surely agree with you on the amount of days students should attend school, it should be more! But at this point there is not enough funding for the days we do have. Especially in Oregon and California.

Cootie's right... if you want longer days or more of them, you have to figure in teacher pay, and building costs like heat and electricity, custodians, administration, sports schedules. OK, let's say you've gotten the towns to agree to higher taxes to pay for all that (ha!)... now you need to start negotiating with the unions. You can't just make a change in working conditions without bargaining. I've kept my mouth shut after reading some of the posts up-thread, but unless you've been in the trenches, you really shouldn't cast aspersions at teachers.
    Count your blessings!

Excellent point Gutmutter. What's that old saying about walking a mile in my shoes?
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread