+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5835Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Hi all. Hope everyone had a great weekend! I could use some extra fingers crossed tomorrow (Monday)! I have a big first round interview that I am really nervous about! Thanks!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4099925;
    Hi all. Hope everyone had a great weekend! I could use some extra fingers crossed tomorrow (Monday)! I have a big first round interview that I am really nervous about! Thanks!
    Good luck to you, from your up-the-road neighbor!!

My daughter called last night from Italy trying to tell me her sister never made it... but luckily I had been keeping up with their facebook posts, so I knew otherwise. This is what they consider to be a joke. Would someone hop a plane to Italy for me and smack them upside the head?
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My beef today is about kids being out of school so much. It is ridiculous, and they wonder why they are so arrested in their academic development. They were out last week, for election day....and you know that all of the K-12 kids needed to vote!! They are out again today, for a professional development day; all well and good, and I hope it's mandatory. Next week, they take 2 days off for conferences. Then here comes the turkey day holidays....fair. Let's see, they have plenty of trouble reading, they can't tell time, simple arithmetic/math is a very tall hill to conquer.....and the parents aren't too keen on them getting much better. Bad teachers.....not all teachers.....are hard to get rid of because of the strength of the teachers' unions. I am so glad that my child is away from the public school system. I'm with the president. I'm for year-round school, or at least extended days. Something has got to give. It's an embarrassment.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It becomes more evident every year that children in school are learning less and less and the teachers are not at all concerned--at least where my kids go to school. Whether its reading or math, if your child is having problems, the first thing out of their mouths is hire a tutor! Isnt that their job? No wonder in world rankings our kids are lower down the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4100498;
    My beef today is about kids being out of school so much. It is ridiculous, and they wonder why they are so arrested in their academic development. They were out last week, for election day....and you know that all of the K-12 kids needed to vote!! They are out again today, for a professional development day; all well and good, and I hope it's mandatory. Next week, they take 2 days off for conferences. Then here comes the turkey day holidays....fair. Let's see, they have plenty of trouble reading, they can't tell time, simple arithmetic/math is a very tall hill to conquer.....and the parents aren't too keen on them getting much better. Bad teachers.....not all teachers.....are hard to get rid of because of the strength of the teachers' unions. I am so glad that my child is away from the public school system. I'm with the president. I'm for year-round school, or at least extended days. Something has got to give. It's an embarrassment.
    Am I ever on rant with you. We got a bad teacher last year that just about destroyed my child and we couldn't get the principle to move him to another class and he protected the teacher knowing she was worthless. We found out later after we transferred him from the school that the teacher was going through divorce and had domestic abuse in the home and my child was suffering from her bad situation. We are so thankful through all her garbage he stayed a straight A student. BTW she said he wasn't applying himself makes me wonder how he made straight A's.

Another pet peeve for me is how many days the teachers don't teach. I wish we would go to all year school. I am raising 2 very intelligent children, a great niece and nephew, and I have said if they can't get the proper schooling they need in the public school I will put them in a gifted school.

Off rant.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Where my sister teaches, she's allowed to take a week's vacation in September, right after school has started, and they also have "October vacation". WTH is "October vacation" and WHY?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

One of the things that frustrated the hell out of me when I taught public school (secondary) German and French is how little we could actually teach -- and this was back in the '80s. (Private schools were great, but didn't pay enough for me to live on.) The school calendar had way too many holes, so just when we got a momentum going, there was a "holiday" or useless inservice day or some other interruption. Oh, and assigning homework to reinforce the day's learning (when we *did* get to teach)? What a joke: many of the parents either complained about the kids' having homework at all, and/or just never insisted on their kids' doing homework. But they complained plenty when the little darlings earned poor grades.

I love freelance tutoring. This way, I get to teach -- really teach. The parents insist on homework, and make sure their kids do it. The kids participate and learn. And I work mainly with kids who either are already gifted, or wish to excel. The parental support makes all the difference. I'd never be able to do what I do in most public school environments. I'd be filling out forms and making phone calls to voicemails.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;4100589;
    Where my sister teaches, she's allowed to take a week's vacation in September, right after school has started, and they also have "October vacation". WTH is "October vacation" and WHY?
    An acquaintance of mine is a teacher and she has taken at least 3 if not 4 vacations / long weekends this year. I know its a hard job but that's a lot of time to be off. And that's not counting the inservice days, etc. that they also get.

After having my eye surgeries, I will need a new prescription.
    It seems like not too long ago someone posted about getting lenses online. I think it might have been QueenB, but I'm not sure.
    I had just gotten 2 new pairs of glasses - daily wear and sunglasses - about 3months before I found out I needed surgery to prevent blindness, so I'd like to be able to reduce this cost in any way possible. I spent a small fortune on them at that time.

Any suggestions that don't break the bank?

TIA
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread