+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Washington is also all mail voting now as well. It would actually be really hard to vote more than once because they only send you one ballot. You would have to have fake id and register under a fake name to be able to do it.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

A lot of people I know will do absentee voting, whether they are going to be away or not. They just have to sign a paper saying where they will be election day and sign it. Nobody challenges that. Also, wherever you register your car, you are automatically registered to vote. It took a long time to fill out all of the little circles on both sides of a long ballot yesterday.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We early vote. You have to show a voter's registration card, photo ID. Verify your address and the sign a form. Voting is electronic. It takes longer to check in than it does to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner;4097371;
    Washington is also all mail voting now as well. It would actually be really hard to vote more than once because they only send you one ballot. You would have to have fake id and register under a fake name to be able to do it.
    In my area, there was a big push to get us all to vote our senior year of high school, so I and many others my age are registered in my hometown. When I moved out of state, I registered there but remained on the books at home, too. Hypothetically, an overly involved parent could easily fill out the ballots of their grown and departed children who don't care or remember, or the parent could forward the ballot to her kids who are also planning to vote in their new precincts. If I take the number of people I know who are double-registered and I extrapolate that, it gets to be a substantial number and considering some of the things I've seen...

To say nothing of the preponderance of fake IDs.

I'd like to think that stuff like this doesn't happen enough to be a big deal, but the public never fails to surprise me, either and in principle it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;4097047;
    Not happy with the results (Ohio), but I'll respect that the election is based on what most people want - not just what I want. It just kills me when the politicians make a big deal about "Americans have spoken" when they really mean my party has spoken. Don't like it being said when my choices win either. All the voters are American and it belittles those of use whose choices didn't make it. Like we aren't Americans?
    Whatever. I am hopefully looking forward to improvements in the economy and work situation here.
    I love this comment. I am also sick when I hear this latest "Americans have spoken" stuff. Those politicians do not represent my opinion and I am as American as anyone! Thankfully, most of the people that I voted for (and they won!) in my state are much more like me than the new Speaker of the House and those Junior Tea Party House members...they are not speaking for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4097743;
    In my area, there was a big push to get us all to vote our senior year of high school, so I and many others my age are registered in my hometown. When I moved out of state, I registered there but remained on the books at home, too. Hypothetically, an overly involved parent could easily fill out the ballots of their grown and departed children who don't care or remember, or the parent could forward the ballot to her kids who are also planning to vote in their new precincts. If I take the number of people I know who are double-registered and I extrapolate that, it gets to be a substantial number and considering some of the things I've seen...

To say nothing of the preponderance of fake IDs.

I'd like to think that stuff like this doesn't happen enough to be a big deal, but the public never fails to surprise me, either and in principle it bothers me.
    You could do that with absentee ballots too. I was just trying to make the point that I don't think fraud is any more likely with all mail ballots.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Ugh, I'd tell the story but I don't think I'm supposed to. The comment isn't coming out of nowhere though.

I spent the day today getting trained to assess English Language Learners for fluency. I wasn't expecting it to be as interesting as it was. Next week we go back for the intensive test. I feel pretty confident, though. We did a lot of practice evaluations and I was mostly spot-on. There are 5 areas of evaluation :comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar. For the test, you have to evaluate 10 students in a video and have to get 30 out of 50 right with the remaining 20 within one of the 5 point spread. On the practices, I was well within that framework. Some of the gradations are iffy... most of the time vs. almost all of the time. You tell me the difference between those two.
    Count your blessings!

At my precinct in Ohio we had to show our driver's license. In line, both in front of me and behind, I had a mom with her first time voting child. That was nice to see.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I just read a statistic about Oregon's voter turnout in this election - 71% - not bad. And I know that when my son registered to vote in another county, he did not end up being double registered. No ballot showed up at his former permanent address (my house).

I don't trust computer voting one bit after reading about the ways votes can be switched, lost, etc. There are enough people watching the mail in ballot process, that it feels relatively safe. I drop my ballot at an official ballot location, I don't mail in the regular mail. It is easy.

+ Reply to Thread