+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4096904;
    I voted by mail last week - all of Oregon is by mail. I like it.
    How does this work? Do you have to send in a request for your ballot or do you get it automatically?

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4096912;
    How does this work? Do you have to send in a request for your ballot or do you get it automatically?
    Every registered voter gets a ballot, envelope, etc. And a voters manual to each household. You fill out the ballot, put it in a secrecy envelope, then put your official signature on the outside of the mailing envelope and either mail it or drop it at an official drop box for ballots. It is easy and you can take your time at home to research candidates or issues you might have overlooked during the election. And once your ballot is recorded, you stop getting calls to vote on your home phone. We have a high voter turnout in our state as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Cootie;4096917;
    Every registered voter gets a ballot, envelope, etc. And a voters manual to each household. You fill out the ballot, put it in a secrecy envelope, then put your official signature on the outside of the mailing envelope and either mail it or drop it at an official drop box for ballots. It is easy and you can take your time at home to research candidates or issues you might have overlooked during the election. And once your ballot is recorded, you stop getting calls to vote on your home phone. We have a high voter turnout in our state as a result.
    Interesting, I'm not surprised it increases turnout. We require ID to vote, though, so I don't see that happening in Connecticut anytime soon (and I'm okay with that. Not that ID solves all evils, but it seems like it'd be easier for people to vote multiple times without it.)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4096558;
    ...When I was taking German, there is no translation for "excuse me" as in, "excuse me, I didn't mean to step on your foot". The word (and it escapes me) they use literally translates to: I give my guilt to you...
    Would that be "entschuldigung"?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Interesting how the voting differs from state to state. I walked in, gave my name, and was asked to verify the month and date of my birth. No photo ID, no nothing. The person checking me in recognized me, although I doubt that had anything to do with the procedure. Strange.

I went to the polls around 3 pm. There were no lines to wait in. We had early voting in MD and I suspect lot of people may have voted that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;4096957;
    Interesting how the voting differs from state to state. I walked in, gave my name, and was asked to verify the month and date of my birth. No photo ID, no nothing. The person checking me in recognized me, although I doubt that had anything to do with the procedure. Strange.

I went to the polls around 3 pm. There were no lines to wait in. We had early voting in MD and I suspect lot of people may have voted that way.
    I didn't have to show ID either, nor was I asked my birthday or anything. I'd like to vote by mail but sometimes I need to wait to make up my mind about some things. And I get to see a lot of neighbors that I don't usually see!

If I had walked in and stated I was my daughter's name I could have voted. They have a computer printout of all the registered voters by address. When you tell them who you are, they cross you off the list and give you a paper ballot to mark in the booth. Then you do the same thing at the end and put it in a box. My two kids were still listed at our old address, but they had me as living in another town.
    Count your blessings!

my polling place asked for ID, which makes me feel better about it. We moved 2 years ago, I was listed and hubby wasn't. But then he hasn't taken any effort to get anything corrected (license, etc) - we only moved a mile and still own the old property.
    new polling place is next door to my condo complex - walking distance.
    Not happy with the results (Ohio), but I'll respect that the election is based on what most people want - not just what I want. It just kills me when the politicians make a big deal about "Americans have spoken" when they really mean my party has spoken. Don't like it being said when my choices win either. All the voters are American and it belittles those of use whose choices didn't make it. Like we aren't Americans?
    Whatever. I am hopefully looking forward to improvements in the economy and work situation here.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Our voting proceedures are so lax that, if someone knows the address of a person who is not going to vote that election they could easily vote in their name. I was asked my address. That's it. Once I gave my address the worker asked me "are you ...". I said yes and it was done. No verification of anything.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe;4097066;
    Our voting proceedures are so lax that, if someone knows the address of a person who is not going to vote that election they could easily vote in their name. I was asked my address. That's it. Once I gave my address the worker asked me "are you ...". I said yes and it was done. No verification of anything.
    Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. It's really unbelievable when you think about it.

+ Reply to Thread