+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

When I was growing up, I called adults Mrs./Mr. [last name] with the exception of my two babysitters, who insisted on being called by their first names. As a teenager, I always called my friends' parents "Mom" and "Dad" and my friends did the same with my folks. It was less formal that Mr. or Mrs., but was still respectful.

ITA about "thank you" Missyboxers. Common courtesy isn't so common anymore. I was reading an article on dating a while back where they asked men what could make them not call a woman for a second date. The #1 response was not saying "thank you" at the end of the date.

I love the mohawk, Unk!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4095231;
    ...As for the Miss C and Mr P thing, being a northerner it does not have the same connotation here apparently or it has been passed down because quite a few of us do it...
    It doesn't have the same connotation in the North (nor in SoCal). As my birth name was a long, hard-to-pronounce, easy-to-butcher Polish name, I preferred that the elementary school kids I worked with as a tutor or TA called me "Ms. Ellen" -- or, in the German/French Immersion Schools: "Frau Ellen" or "Madame Ellen." Later, as a classroom middle- and high-school teacher, Ms/Frau/Madame "initial of last name." I have an easier last name now, but I still prefer that the kids I tutor call me "Ms. Ellen" -- and I've noticed the same among the other freelance tutors in the library.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

All of my friends parents were Mr.& Mrs. Sometimes we called their grandparents Grandpa or whatever name they used as well as their aunts and uncle we called Aunt ---- or Uncle ----. My screen name comes from my friends kids that call me Uncle Scott.

As a kid, I always called my parents' friends "Auntie First Name" and "Uncle First Name." And I still do. I've been told that I can drop the "aunt" and "uncle," but after all these years, they're an inseparable part of the names!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4095203;
    when Zac was going through chemo and I shaved my head in solidarity with him he always said "Grandpa, when we get our hair back we have to get orange mohawks." I promised him I would do that, if only for a few days during vacation or days off. Unfortunately we never got to do that. I have vowed that every Halloween I will get an orange mohawk in his memory. Here's the first one. And thanks to a special favor from a FORT friend, here's Zac with his.

Happy Halloween to you! Thanks for sharing this.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4095203;
    when Zac was going through chemo and I shaved my head in solidarity with him he always said "Grandpa, when we get our hair back we have to get orange mohawks." I promised him I would do that, if only for a few days during vacation or days off. Unfortunately we never got to do that. I have vowed that every Halloween I will get an orange mohawk in his memory. Here's the first one. And thanks to a special favor from a FORT friend, here's Zac with his.

Unk I love it. Here's to many many Halloweens of you with a mohawk.
    In memory of Zac.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Paul, YOU have permission to call me by my first name. As you already do.

But Rosie is now insisting that you do call her by Ms. W. But she is getting old.

If I had said "yeah" instead of yes ma'am or yes sir, I'd have had to pick my teeth up off the floor.

I still say "Pardon?" if I dont' hear something or "Pardon me" if I need to get by someone who is blocking the way.

And I've said this on here before, but "my bad" instead of "I'm sorry" just about sends me into ORBIT. And there are at least 3 reasons why this is so wrong.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Unk,

THanks for those great pics. And, it sure looks like Zac is smiling at us from above.

MRD,
    ITA with you regarding "My bad."
    Not only is it grammatically incorrect, it just seems to diminish the user's apology. It becomes ludicrous.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 11-01-2010 at 10:49 PM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

My bad drives me nuts as well.

I grew up calling my elders Mr/Mrs last name as well. With one exception, my best friends mom and stepdad were called mom and Dave by me because that is how she addressed them. They are still like second parents and I still call her mom.

I am a Sunday School teacher and all the kids in our church call the teachers Mr/Miss first name. I am Miss Dagny to my kids. Well, mostly I am teacher because I teach 4 year olds and they have a hard time with my name.

I still say please and thank you, even at the drive thru. I know it sounds silly but it just comes out. Maybe it is because I have worked with the public and understand that it sucks when people have no manners.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

We did use "Miss" and "Mr" and first name with some people, such as babysitters, "church ladies", some teachers who asked us to, and so forth. Mom and Dad's friends were "Mr Smith" or Mrs. Jones" etc. I'm now at the age where some really country folks call me "Miz J-----", my first name and I know it doesn't mean anything--except that they think, wait, KNOW I am now getting into my ,ah, mature years. That, obviously, is according to age only. Where I am from whites and blacks alike do it, it works both ways.

I have never, ever had a job where anyone called anyone by last names either, so I feel weird in a way being back in school at this age, and calling people "Dr" this, "Professor" that, or even just "Mrs". But I automatically remembered to do it, at least!
    Last edited by queenb; 11-02-2010 at 12:58 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread