+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Duck and weave, inthegarden, duck and weave.

I was also schooled (by the nuns) to say "Please?" when I didn't hear something that someone said. I was on a job interview....waaaay back when....and I missed something that the guy interviewing me had said, and I said, "Please?" He just looked at me for a moment and he said, "You were raised in a Catholic school, weren't you?" and he just seemed so impressed. I think I gained an extra point or two with that "Please?" Some people are so easily pleased.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It appears the workplace is becoming more casual, hence the Mr. Paul etc., which as I posted was going on for years and this started for me probably in about 1990. Prior to that I was raised to call those I did not know, people older than me, people that I worked with that were superior to me all by a title and last name.

When I started my first full time job in the 70s at a old family owned department store here, whenever anyone was on the sales floors we were ALL Mr., Mrs., Miss (LAST NAME) Once you got into offices, or other areas behind closed doors etc., Peers could call each other first name, managers called subordinates by first name, but never ever unless told to, were those in Authority ever called by first name.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Everything is getting too casual if you ask me. But then again, I'm getting older and sounding like my parents and grandparents.

I only called my mom by her first name if there was a roomful of family and it was loud and I needed to get her attention. She never had a problem with it.

I guess I have issues with the Miss C and Mr. P stuff because to me it has negative connotations that I find distasteful because they were remnants of growing up in the Jim Crow South.
    I'm not saying everyone shouldn't do it. I was just saying why I don't. As long as respect is being conveyed, hey, go for it.

I just can't and don't use the "miss" thing and I refused to allow the museum to introduce me to my field trip classes that way (they did it ONE time). I preferred to be Mrs. last name because they addressed their school teachers that way as well.

Yes, I have some serious old fashioned ideas and then again, also some radical new ones. I am a contradiction.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I was raised to always address those older than me as Mr., Ms., or Mrs., unless they told me I could do otherwise. Although I still have a problem with that. Our family has really good friends (as in we have known them since I was born and they were listed in my parent's will as the guardians if anything should have happened) and it took me years to get to the point that I could refer to them using their first name only.

I'm a grad student and even though a lot of my professors have asked me to call them by their first names, I can't do it. It's always Professor so-and-so. Though as a graduate instructor I tell my students to call me by my first name; but, more still say Ms. or Mrs. (which I'm not - since I'm single) Last name.

when Zac was going through chemo and I shaved my head in solidarity with him he always said "Grandpa, when we get our hair back we have to get orange mohawks." I promised him I would do that, if only for a few days during vacation or days off. Unfortunately we never got to do that. I have vowed that every Halloween I will get an orange mohawk in his memory. Here's the first one. And thanks to a special favor from a FORT friend, here's Zac with his.

I get really, really uncomfortable calling people by their first names if they're older than me, and usually I don't unless I don't actually know their last name (happened to me when I was working the primaries) or I've explicitly been told to call someone by his or her first name, which happens more and more and I'm starting to get why-- I don't want anyone calling me Ms. Lastname either. I'm not old yet!!!

On the subject of manners, since when has the phrase "thank you" gone the way of "Mr./Mrs."??? When I was a kid and someone answered the door on Halloween, you greeted them with "Trick or treat!" (instead of "How many do we get?") and the appropriate response afterward was "Thank you! Happy Halloween!" and so on. ALWAYS "Thank you." I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've heard "Thank you" tonight.
    Last edited by Missyboxers; 10-31-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Looking good Unk! I bet Zac is smiling down on you right now, laughing at your orange mohawk!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;4095207;
    ...I don't want anyone calling me Ms. Lastname either. I'm not old yet!!!

Whenever I hear Mrs. Lastname, I think of my mother-in-law. ::shudder::
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;4095203;
    when Zac was going through chemo and I shaved my head in solidarity with him he always said "Grandpa, when we get our hair back we have to get orange mohawks." I promised him I would do that, if only for a few days during vacation or days off. Unfortunately we never got to do that. I have vowed that every Halloween I will get an orange mohawk in his memory. Here's the first one. And thanks to a special favor from a FORT friend, here's Zac with his.

Fantastic there Unklescott! What a great way to honor him
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;4095179;
    Everything is getting too casual if you ask me.
    I do agree with that and maybe that is why a lot of this started, because frankly I DON'T WANT people to call me Mr. lastname - sounds stuffy.

As for the Miss C and Mr P thing, being a northerner it does not have the same connotation here apparently or it has been passed down because quite a few of us do it. If I had been a southerner, I would probably feel the same way as you MRS. MYROSIEDOG........

Missyboxers -- Thank You has disappeared along with YES PLEASE and NO THANK YOU, EXCUSE ME, PARDON and probably a few more.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

+ Reply to Thread