+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4498Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4092496;
    So, an elderly gentleman wrecked into my parked car today and left without leaving a note....Next time, I get the urge to say "kids, these days, ugh", I will remind myself of the 2 very nice young men who went out of their way to give me that scofflaw's info. and may have saved me a $500 deductible for getting my car fixed. I just hope the old reprobate who hit my car has insurance, fingers crossed!
    Yeah -- another gummer who can't tell the difference between the brake and accelerator, yet is still allowed to drive and cause expensive accidents. Kudos to those kids; I hope this leads to the old fart having to take a written exam, a behind-the-wheel exam and/or getting his license revoked. He has no business on the road. This is one of my big pet peeves, BTW.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4092496;
    So, an elderly gentleman wrecked into my parked car today and left without leaving a note. He didn't just scratch it, he smashed the passenger taillight, dented the hood, and it looks like a 2X4 smashed my bumper. Two college-age guys witness this, write down all his info and give it to me when I leave work. They know who he is because he lives in the neighborhood where I work.

The best part is that he parked again on the same street, and I was able to get pictures of his car, too!

Next time, I get the urge to say "kids, these days, ugh", I will remind myself of the 2 very nice young men who went out of their way to give me that scofflaw's info. and may have saved me a $500 deductible for getting my car fixed. I just hope the old reprobate who hit my car has insurance, fingers crossed!
    I hope you reported him to the police! He should get nailed for that. I'm glad those guys helped you out with that info. Sometimes, people do actually do the nice thing. I hope you can get everything fixed without having to pay that deductible.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Agree - reporting this to the police is vital!
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Brunette Trixie -- ex-insurance person here. You will need to have a police report if you want to use your "uninsured motorist" coverage in case this looney does not have insurance. Of course, I don't know where you live and some states do nor have "uninsured property damage" coverage, so you may have to end up using your collision and paying out the deductible. Keep in touch with your agent. Hope this helps. columbia

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch -THANK YOU TO Y'ALL DOWN SOUTH in the US

One thing I must tell all my SOUTHERN friends here is how much I enjoy the way y'all call others by title and first name and I've been doing it for years, actually everyone in my Department does it. For example I am Mr. P or Mr. Paul, Bob is Mr. Bob, Jim is Mr. Jim etc., others on our campus alway like how we all do that also to Miss Ruby, Ms Elaine, Miss Drema, etc., THANK YOU for that tradition or whatever it is called.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch -THANK YOU TO Y'ALL DOWN SOUTH in the US

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul;4094786;
    One thing I must tell all my SOUTHERN friends here is how much I enjoy the way y'all call others by title and first name and I've been doing it for years, actually everyone in my Department does it. For example I am Mr. P or Mr. Paul, Bob is Mr. Bob, Jim is Mr. Jim etc., others on our campus alway like how we all do that also to Miss Ruby, Ms Elaine, Miss Drema, etc., THANK YOU for that tradition or whatever it is called.
    Mr. Paul I call it respect. The kids I am raising are taught to do the same thing.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

nennie, you are so right! Nothing aggravates me more than hearing children or younger people call their elders or people they do not really know by their first names. Unless you are invited to do so, you need to stick to a more formal protocol. My son called my best friend "Ann", and that aggravated the heck out of me, but he spent quite a bit of time with her; she was his first babysitter; she was OK with it.....but we are also talking about a woman who, along with her siblings, called their dad by his first name...Walter. He did not want to be called "Daddy" or anything similar. I always found that wierd for a southern, country family; they called their mother "Mama", though. If I dared called my mother by her first name, I'd better be waaaay across the room and making a beeline out of there, at the same time! It got to be a joke with us, as I matured. I would say it, keep my eyes straight ahead, and she'd give me the "Mona" look!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had a student call across to me, using my first name, as I got out of my car downtown. He was with a group of peers and showing off. I don't even know how he knew what my first name was, but I was shocked at how disrespectful it was.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I still call people by their last names and title. Especially in a business setting and if I know they are older. If they tell me I can call them by their first name fine. But I have heard so many co-workers talk to clients they don't know, have never met before and refer to them as Jim, etc. I ALWAYS would say: Mr. Smith, I have those figures for you. And my co-workers ALWAYS said to me, how come your people are so much nicer to you?
    Because I respect them and treat them, especially the older generation, with that respect.
    Now I called very close friends of my parents "aunt" and "uncle" with first names growing up and EVERYONE else by last names. We did NOT use "Miss" or "Mr" in front of names in my household. And back then most people didn't. The "Miss" and "Mr." with first name was used by African Americans to call white people that. I remained "Miss C_________" by a man that worked for my father until the day he died and he was in his 80's. I asked him several times NOT to call me that and my dad finally stepped in and said: "you are embarrassing him and making him uncomfortable. He won't do that as that was not how he was raised" I HATED it and because or that, I am still not fond of using "Miss" and "Mr." and taught my child to use Mr. and Mrs. and last names and close friends were aunt and uncle.
    I don't think it's a quaint Southern custom, I think it is a not so fond reminder of the days when African Americans that worked for whites, worked as domestic help and Mr. and Miss were a divider of the races.

Read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. Very good book and very, very true.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

just1paul, You are welcome! I was raised to call adults Mr. and Mrs. Lastname, no exceptions. I still do it today, just seems like the respectful thing to do. Yes/no mam and yes/no sir too.
    We have a young couple, in their 20's, that sometime help us, and they are friends as well, and they call us Mr. and Ms. Firstname.
    Not so formal as Mr and Ms last name, but still acknowledging their respect for us being older than they are. Or that how I see it.

prhoshay, I remember trying to be smart and calling my mom by her first name...I only made that mistake one time.

+ Reply to Thread